Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPM rods - a 2nd group buy?

Hi all,

well now it seems the chapter of the first rod buy has come to a close, I'm willing to organise another. Again, 8 people would be needed to make it viable. Costs last time worked to be £375/set but I'd expect it to rise slightly by 5 or 10.

This is only gonna happen if enough people want to, and I can't promise any deadlines for delivery. I know there was a few from the 1st buy who wanted to drop back to a 2nd buy - if you're still interested, please post up or PM me.

Things we do know - these rods could take a while to come, they seem to be up to par as per quality, come with ARP bolts and weigh in at approx. 570g with bolts. Contrary to rumour, they are not made in Bangladesh and are used to about 1000hp/1000nm.

It seems there's other good deals with rods out there now as well (my buy seems to have provoked the competition ) and I'd look into those too... as per timescale, that depends on what the masses want, as but I'd rather get the orders in and wrapped up within the next 4 weeks - I don't want this to be such a time consuming affair as last time...

Cheers
    Ross
    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Fair play for doing a 2nd buy Ross!

P.S are you trying to tempt us all to modify the S cars?

Comment

Does this mean I'm supposed to have received mine??

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Um yes, Angus was gonna get them shipped out this week, but I know he's been quite busy. 2 of the sets ended up his doorstep you see. I'll drop him a line and find out if/when he sent 'em... sorry!

Comment

Sorry Newsh, its not Ross fault and i did tell him i would do it, I am stupidly busy at the moment, but I had actually got as far as wrapping the rods in soft squidgy stuff but I hadn't found an appropriate box to put them in and the one that they arrived in just wasn't good enough and I then got distracted......and so on.

I will sort it in the morning.

Angus
          formally RS2 +

Comment

Hey no worries Angus, as long as they havent gone missing

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

I am interested in this group buy.
              "you don't make history by following the rules, you make history by sizing the moment..."

Comment

Ross!

Ok! Where do these rods originate from?
                Might as well have it in the public domain so that potential buyers have an informed choice.
                The other budget rods are not so secretive about their origins.
                As long as the mettalurgy and design is sound and the machining is correct then I'm all for saving money!
                Last edited by twoqu; 18 May 2006, 17:44.

Comment

There's no secrecy on my side - I simply don't know where they are made. SPM are very secretive as to where there parts are made, and I have asked... all I know is it's US steel. Please see the old thread for speculation as to the origin... anything I've found out about the rods I've posted.

Cheers
                  Ross

Comment

Ross,
                    Then how do you know they are not from Bangladesh! That would explain why SPM is secretive and why most of the rods were sent without any attempt at packing apart from removing them from one box and chucking in them in another!
                    At the end of the day how likely is it that SPM just happened to have a box with "conrods" and "Bangladesh" printed on it to hand . Had they been a little more attentive to repackaging then we would have been none the wiser. Although the speculation would still go on.
                    This it not a dig at you. You have generously given your time to organise this for the benefit of others for no gain. A true enthausiast!

Comment

On the Box i received was a 6B sticker! This is the RodType i have ordered! Maybe they are made in Bangladesh! Maybe the steel is made in bangladesh and the rest machined in sweden! Like the Scat ones! The steel is chinese and the machining in the USA!

Thing is we heard good thing about them, they have a good reputation, they were cheap so we buyed them! For sure they are better than the stock that can handle over 500 NM of torque! So i dont think it will be a problem!

Out of curiosity i would also like to know where are they came from!

Cheers,

Vasilis
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

The "Bangladesh" sticker was a joke. But I guess, yeah they could be for all I know! Trust me, I'd be interested to know where they are from and Coolhand did have a look for any stamps etc that could have given us a clue on the box. As mentioned, I read on a forum that SPM's cranks are made at a machine shop in California so it could be the same place... Of course, if I can find out where they're made I'll post

Comment

Originally posted by Morley
                          Get out of the pissing contest before you wet your shoes, gentlemen. Behave...

Actually, Sten Parner denied that his rods were made by Eagle in an interview in the Bilsport magazine. Is he telling the truth? Nobody but him knows. But it's no great secret that he buys a lot of his stuff from China. Probably there's some sort of toll barrier from China towards Usa that makes it cheaper to go via Sweden? Not unlikely I'd guess.

Gp.a box from Norway? I feel inflicted, even though I don't know anything....huh.

http://www.turbobricks.org/forums/sh...&highlight=SPM

sigpic

Comment

I have also fould today that the Hilmersson Racing Ascona? with the Volvo Engine SPM Rods has!

http://www.hilmersson-racing.com/start.asp?show=c

I think he also has videos of the car and the engine!
                            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

still interested in 2nd group buy?I'll probably take 3 sets for 3b engine

Comment

Working...
                              X