Paypal fees for group buys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal fees for group buys?

This is a general question for those experienced in running group buys about the topic of payment via paypal and whether they take a percentage.

Im currently selling parts ive made to members of a classic saab forum and asking for paypal payment as easiest.

Someone has offered to pay transactions fees which is decent of them but i can't for the life of me find whether i will incurr and and what they may be for sending parts to America.

I have read about different percentage cuts paypal take in different circumstances but they all seem to relate to whether as a business you use their checkout software on your website. Im selling as a private person and dealing direct so no digital shopping basket has been used.

Please can any of the regular group buy heros let me know how they manage it all?

P. M if you prefer

Many thanks

I usually ask people to pay as friend and that has the option to cover the fee.

If they what to pay for it as an item, then I always ask that they add 3.5% to cover the fees.
    https://www.salecalc.com/paypal?p=10...=0&f=0&m=2&c=0

But for US people it is much cheaper to use Transferwise, now just wise.com. They just need your iban and swift.

But generally as a private person it is a bit of pain in the ***. Also make sure that people pay you in the correct currency. Otherwise PayPal conversion rate is really bad.
    ​​​
    Last edited by Jonas_R; 21 February 2022, 20:10. Reason: Updated to the correct name of the money transfer service
    Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Thanks Jonas! Ive never heard of WeTransfer but will look into it and suggest. Id suggested friends transfer but one buyer seems keen to pay for goods. Maybe he has been stung in the past some way and wants to pay for pp buyer protection or something...
      ​​​​

You are right re currency - pp rates are not great plus fee for transaction.

Comment

Yeah some people want the goods option. But then they will have to pay the extra 3.5% if you ask me.

Another thing, remember to document (picture of package, maybe a small video) as good as you can for people paying for goods. So they don't try to claim you for some BS reason.
        ​​​​
        ​​​​
        Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

The PayPal fees for receiving UK payments are 2.9% + 30p last I checked. I nearly always send payments as a payment for goods and am happy to to receive payments this way. It gives piece of mind all round. Just make sure the buyer covers the fees.

As a seller you need to make sure the postage address is the same as listed on PayPal, keep proof of postage and you are protected if the buyer raises a dispute.

For international sales make sure the buyer takes care of the currency conversion. So what you receive is £. Otherwise you'll lose out when converting later.

Hope that helps!

Comment

All good advice!

To make sure you don't end up losing money sending parts out, ts more involved than first thought when you look into it and overseas transactions...

Comment

WeTransfer is for files, I believe.

However in the US (just started now), if someone receives more then $600/year for services or goods (parts), paypal will send out a TAX form at the end of the year! So a lot of ppl are done with paypal.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by varia View Post
                WeTransfer is for files, I believe.

However in the US (just started now), if someone receives more then $600/year for services or goods (parts), paypal will send out a TAX form at the end of the year! So a lot of ppl are done with paypal.
                Yes I mixed the two companies up. It was called Transferwise, but it is just wise.com now.
                Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Working...
                X