Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Dash Speakers - Group Buy

Hi all,

I just thought I would share this with everyone. I recently replaced my front dash speakers in my cab to a brand called Focal, they do a 4" coaxial speaker that fits straight in using the standard grills and they sound amazing.

I accept that there probably isn't many audiophiles on here, but I expect that most peeps would appreciate good quality sound. I am very much into my audio, home and car and anyone that knows of Focal will know that they make high end sound quality (SQ) speakers.

The model I'm talking about can be found here: http://www.focal.com/en/access/467-1...052750676.html

In my usual group buy stylie, I approached the UK distributor for Focal and asked if I could work with them for a forum group buy and the answer was yes.
    They haven't discussed figures/quantities as yet, but they would like to know how much interest they would generate. They normally retail for £90-£100, but I anticipate getting them for much less.

In my opinion, there isn't much out there that would be better in terms of SQ for the money and that doesn't require custom install. It took me approx. 5 mins per side to fit and it's up to you whether you want to use an external amplifier or not. I'm not using an amp and they are still a vast improvement over the standard speakers.

So if you fancy treating your ears then give me a shout (PM).

****************UPDATE********************

Hi all,

Right, there has been a lot more interest on these than I expected! I have spoken to Focal this morning and they can do a forum price of £65 + postage to UK addresses for a set of the Performance Access 4" speakers part: 100AC (dash mount).

I will update the thread on page 1 to show this.

A few of you are asking for rear speakers as well, so can someone tell me the sizes of the rear speakers on a coupe and avant (if different) and I will get prices on those ones too.

Alternatively, if there is anything from the Focal catalogue you like, then PM me with what you want and I will get the prices for you. Here is the link: http://www.focal.com/en/43-car-audio-systems

I will try and respond to PM's and posts as quickly as I can.

****************ANOTHER UPDATE*******************

I have found the downloadable catalogue from Focal. If you look through it and find the model of speaker you want, then you can see the spec of the speaker including mounting depth measurements.

It would be great if someone can confirm the depths on both avant/sedan and coupe rear speakers??

Here's the link: http://www.focal.com/en/56-universal-

Once on the page, click on 'Catalog - Car Audio 2014 (EN)'

****************UPDATE 24/02/2015******************

1. Supply of the Focal 100 AC 4" dash speaker for £65 + £5 delivery to UK addresses only. International will require the address for quoting.
    I know that this speaker will fit the front of all Audi 80 Coupes/Avants/Saloons etc.

Anyone that wants rear speakers as well will have to tell me what they want from the Focal brochure (page 1), but it will be down to the end user to tell me if they will fit or not as I cannot be held responsible for the fitments. So please check your rears and let me know

2. Payment - via Paypal for ease to s80yas@hotmail.com as a gift only or you pay charges. I can do bank transfer if you prefer, just let me know.
    Once you have made payment, then let me know ASAP so I know who's is who's.

3. Delivery - I will place the order in one go once the majority has paid and submitted their requests. Don't worry if you 'miss the boat' as I can always do individual orders, just might cost a bit more for delivery.
    Focal will only send the orders to me directly and will not send out individual orders, so I will despatch everyone's order once I have all your address details etc.

If anyone is in a rush to order and cannot wait any longer then please PM me straight away and I will raise a separate order for you, but as mentioned already the postage cost might be slightly higher.

I hope this all makes sense, but please feel free to contact me if not.

Many thanks
    Yaz
    Last edited by Yaz; 24 February 2015, 13:34.
    1992 Audi 100 2.8 Quattro
    1993 Audi Cab 2.3
    1995 Audi URS6 Avant
    1999 Audi S8 D2 FL
    2005 Skoda Octavia Elegance Variant TDi
    2012 VW CC BlueMotion Tech DSG

What is required to install? What about wiring?

I may be interested
    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

had focal/jm lab in my coupe for years got the polyglass v2 in the fronts with tweeters and the 6x9 on back shelf very good speakers have them in my house too as the speakers and sub for my home cinema set up
      ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
      THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

If the price is right I'm in.
        Jake

1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

I had those Focals in my type85 and they sounded realy good *), highly recommended, excelent value. the tweeter can be directed, use this to tweak the high's to your taste

installation is easy, no additional wiring (these have an integrated crossover) just pull off the grills, unscrew the old speakers and install the new. just make sure they are mounted air tight, you'll lose bass if there is a gap between the speaker and the dash.

*) just don't expect deep powerfull bass, it's a 4"..... even the best design can't beat physics.

Originally posted by Yaz View Post
          I accept that there probably isn't many audiophiles on here,
          you could be surprised here

Comment

Rynaqui - if you look at the pics in the link I posted, one picture shows the terminals and as you can see they are the usual spade type connector. Now I'm not sure what type of plug or connector the standard speakers have as my cab had Kenwood replacements already in the dash which had the female end spade connectors on the wiring already. Either way, it's an easy fit.
            I was surprised to see that they were Kenwood speakers, because the sound was cr@p and I would expect that Kenwood's would've sounded ok...

Vonbeck - you are a true audiophile to have Focal in your home too!

StickyWickett - I will speak to them tomorrow and hopefully get an indication of pricing. I will post back on here.

Many thanks
            Yaz
            1993 Audi Cab 2.3
            1995 Audi URS6 Avant
            1999 Audi S8 D2 FL

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post
              you could be surprised here
              I like it mate and thanks for the useful info.

Yes, 4" speakers are not going to give the full sound, but the mid/high clarity is vastly improved.

Also in my opinion, the location of the dash speakers is perfect. The sound hits the windscreen and fires straight towards your head/ears. Just right if you ask me and beats lower door or footwell speakers like you get in old BMW's of this era for example.

Then depending on the individual, you can uprate the rear door card speakers or go one step further with acoustic shelf, then subwoofer(s) etc.

I do like to feel my music
              1993 Audi Cab 2.3
              1995 Audi URS6 Avant
              1999 Audi S8 D2 FL

Comment

I would also be very interested in getting my name down

Comment

depending on final price i may well be in for a set, mine are due to be replaced after one of my tweeters went
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Hi!
                    I'm going with OEM speakers and no problem if:
                    + 6" woofer
                    + 1" satin tweeter
                    + 3 way crossover
                    + amplifier

I prove some very good speakers without any crossover, with and without my Alpine amplifier; and the 4" speaker aren't enough.
                    photobucket SUCKS
                    sigpic

Comment

Price dependant, yes. Are you looking for anything on rears too?
                      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

ideal would be some mini subwoofers that fit in the standard rear position to supplement the coax in the front (don't forget to disconnect the rear tweeters)

Comment

If the price is right and if shipping to Greece isn't massively expensive then I want in too. I have a blaupunkt thb200A in the boot so no need for more bass but mid-range and treble are annoyingly inadequate on factory speakers. I'm just cautious as no matter how much I spend I'll never have really good sound in this car due to the speakers position and size so... no point in spending too much really.

Comment

I am in for the fronts and possibly rears if others are too?

Cheers

Steve
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic
                            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I'm in for fronts as I don't like the sound..I do have a Kenwood stereo so not sure what the fitment is but sure something can be worked out. What about rears?
                              1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Working...
                              X