The dreaded Avant fuel filter!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dreaded Avant fuel filter!!

OK I've heard what I nightmare it is to change the fuel filter on the Avant, but now I've got to do it. Has anybody written a good guide or can you offer any good tips? Starting with where the bloody thing is would be great!!

Andy
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Looking under the car when up on a ramp, the filter is on the right of the car tucked up between the chassis and the fuel tank, by the right rear wheel.

Bit of a nause to get to, to be honest. It makes life easier if you loosen the fuel tank and drop it a little. Mind you don't damage the fuel line running forward under the car too.
    acidtrax

Comment

'GOT' to do mine too Andy, lining it up to do in a couple of weeks time from now, so I'll be able to help you out soon with some tips. In the meantime, I know Charlie with the RS2 changed his by undoing the tank straps and gently levering the tank down a bit to get to the single securing allen bolt that holds the filter in place. That's the only hard part! getting to the screw is impossible with the tank in situation. The fuel lines are highly pressurised so watch out for fuel spraying out when you release the pressure!
      Attached Files
      Martyn
      -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

dropping the tank helps to get to the allen key but you will need to put a lot of penetrating oil on this as mine was so corroded that it pulled the captive nut out of the plastic holder the filter sits in

Comment

Nice tip Artic! I'll be trashing a can of WD40 at the screw a couple of days before I attempt to undo it!

Cheers!!
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

... I would personally replace the filter, but relocate it somewhere more accessible, like in the engine bay. Makes life easier, and also the chances of corrosion are slimmer. I have just replaced the filter on a 2.8 Avant quattro, the banjo was so badly corroded, the pipe broke! The filter now resides on the front bulkhead.

I believe the Ur S4 / S6 has the filter in the engine compartment.
            Never show a fool a half built house.
            Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Life is like a **** sandwich
            The more bread you have, the less **** you eat

Comment

If you have lift pop the car up put a surport under tank undo straps 5 mins unclip fuel
              lines so tank drops down
              the screw will be a problem but you can just pop a screw driver between clip & lever
              it will pop a part , allen head will pull through pastic clip . change bolt for new one with a washer where allen head was when you change filter Its not that hard did mine
              afew weeks ago
              Jade
              RS 2 580HP

Comment

I did this about a month ago... my car had done 100K and the spare filter had lay in the garage for about a year.

I didn't much fancy dropping the tank, just in case it would stress it... it looks fine and expensive should anything amiss happen.

The best intention was to slip a wafer thin allen driver between the bodywork and filter, but that didn't materialise because

1 - The allen cap bolt had corroded into a fixing that looked just like a Torx
                2 - The is only a 15mm gap between the bodywork and bolt - so there's no chance.

What I ended up using wasn't pretty but it was effective.... mole grips and a
                hacksaw blade.

20 minutes patient hacksawing saw the bolt cut through and the filter released. The nut is brass, so at least Audi had some thought wrt maintenance ( not much though!).

I wanted it back as per original fixings, but there is really no need. The bolt and moulded holder has no other mechanical strain apart from the weight of the filter and bearing in mind the crap I found in the filter... I'll be changing mine a lot more often
                So I used the venerable tie wrap in place of the bolt and a big 7 mm wide tie wrap to secure at the bottom lip of the filter. It's rock solid and does not move, but the filter can now be changed in 5 minutes flat. Ideal when you're intending putting 5bar pressure and a potential 60% increased demand for fuel if you're upgrading...

Check the crud out in the filter in the following pics.
                Last edited by raymor; 23 July 2005, 07:11.
                1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
                1987 CQ85RS
                1994 S2 Avant- Gone
                1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
                Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
                Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

Where the filter calls home.....
                  Attached Files
                  1987 CQ85RS
                  1994 S2 Avant- Gone

Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s

Comment

the nice and posh way of removal if you're ET
                    Attached Files
                    1987 CQ85RS
                    1994 S2 Avant- Gone

Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s

Comment

the reality of removal .....
                      Attached Files
                      1987 CQ85RS
                      1994 S2 Avant- Gone

Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s

Comment

Brass nut and Allen Cap nut... disguised as a Torx. I'm sure the allen nut was a 5mm BTW
                        Attached Files
                        1987 CQ85RS
                        1994 S2 Avant- Gone

Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s

Comment

the filter itself
                          Attached Files
                          1987 CQ85RS
                          1994 S2 Avant- Gone

Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s

Comment

the nice surprise of what's preventing full flow through the filter That size of filter must be pretty marginal for even the standard power output
                            Attached Files
                            1987 CQ85RS
                            1994 S2 Avant- Gone

Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s

Comment

this is what happens when curiosity gets the better of you...
                              Attached Files
                              1987 CQ85RS
                              1994 S2 Avant- Gone

Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s

Comment

Working...
                              X