This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
    They align the gearbox to the crank case. You could leave them out but then there will be a little movement when you attach it all back together, thus the linkage and a few other things might not be exactly where they were before. They also help to hold the gearbox in place when you're aligning and tightening it all up.
    Thanks, well its a new build on this latest one so should be ok without, its all bolted up etc already.

Comment

I destroyed my clutch cylinder when mounting at the time
      [__]=oooo=[__]

Comment

Just did an engine swap today and i had changed the dual mass on the donor engine to a single mass flywheel, got it bolted back up to the gearbox and sat on it's engine mounts and found this !
        As you can see the engine mount the aluminium leg that is is touching the chassis .
        Has anyone else had this when changing an ABY to single mass flywheel ?
        Is it just that I need to loosen the gearbox mounts and let it move forward slightly or what?
        Attached Files

Comment

Yes, looks like it's pulled the engine backwards a little, due to the spacer not being present (~8mm)
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            Yes, looks like it's pulled the engine backwards a little, due to the spacer not being present (~8mm)
            So do I just loosen the gearbox mounts to allow it to move forward a bit ?
            It's either that or modify the mount a bit :mischeif:

Comment

should be able to loose off all the mounts and carefully take a bit of weight with a jack under the bellhousing and rear of the sump, and wriggle the engine and box forward a few mm
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Hope all goes well, let me know what you have to do to make it fit back in
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I don't remember anyone who did the conversion mentioning this as a problem before,
                  maybe it is just that my gearbox was as far back as it could be. The mount must have been only the distance of the gearbox spacer away from hitting before I changed it but I didn't look at anything before I removed the engine.
                  I had a donor engine waiting with RS2 stuff all bolted on so I just pulled the old one out removed the inlet manifold and engine mounts and bolted them to the new engine and put that in, I had got the correct length location bushes for the gearbox location as the donor engine was an AAN from an S4 and although the S4 has a dual mass flywheel it is much slimmer than than the ABY one and does not use the gearbox spacer.
                  One thing I'm curious about is do all the ABY's have the loop of steel in the pic that the mount is touching ? Mine is a 93 Avant, just wondering if the coupes have this as well because if they don't that mite explain the problem. If there is anyone that has done a dual mass conversion on an avant or coupé and has pics of this mount chassis distance that would be good to compare.

Comment

That bracket is there on all S2 Avants, both early Procon Ten and later airbag equipped cars. From what i can see looking though pics my CQ20v has it too.

Out of interest have a feel around the gearbox mounts and see if they are in the middle of the bushing, possible your gearbox is pushed fully back in the car.
                    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Following up on this, what are the part numbers for the flywheel bolts? Been a bit painful explaining what I need to the stealer
                      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                        Following up on this, what are the part numbers for the flywheel bolts? Been a bit painful explaining what I need to the stealer
                        N 902 061 03 FLYWHEEL BOLT (X8)
                        034 105 313 A 3B SPIGOT BEARING

Hope this helps greg
                        cheers nip

Comment

According to KATE:-

ABY are M10x 1 43mm long
                          3B/7A are M10x1 19.5mm long
                          Cheers'en, AndyC
                          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Thanks guys, i have the flywheel bolts now, apparently part number is now N902 002 01 for M10 x 19.5mm long

The clutch allen bolts are N01473911 x 8

034 105 313 A 3B SPIGOT BEARING - Is this the bearing that mounts in the center of the 3B flywheel? Will see if I can get a pic of it
                            Greg

Comment

The flywheel with the bearing in is 034 105 271C which has been lightened and had the timing pins added and it is the center bearing that I wanted to check. I have the Spigot needle bearing that fits in the end of the crank already
                              Greg

Comment

If you are using a flywheel with a bearing you don't need the one in the crank,
                                also there are only 6 clutch bolts.

Comment

Working...
                                X