This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
    Parts required:-[LIST][*]Replacement dowels (either new, turned-down originals or from a 3B) 2 different ones.

Method:-[LIST][*]Remove the dowels from the engine and 'box.[*]Replace the dowels with the new shorter ones.

ABY dowels left, 7A right:-

Hope I've not missed anything, please post if I have.

Originally posted by Mark Halligan View Post
    Rob,

Not sure if this is posted here or not, but when you fit the 3B flywheel and clutch to the ABY/ADU engine, as well as removing the spacer plate between the six speed box and engine, also remember to shorten (or replace with 3B items) the two dowels pressed into the back of the block which locate into the bell housing. These are a touch too long and the block doesn't mate up to the bell housing with the spacer removed without leaving a gap.

Cheers m8

Mark.
    Anyone got a picture of the dowels located on the block, and also how much I should take off in length between the ABY and 3B dowels? 10mm ?

I don't have access to my engine as pr now, so I need it for preporation work.

cheers,
    Anders - S2 Avant Clubsport - 8pots or die!

sigpic

Comment

From my 7A block, hope it helps...
      Attached Files
      Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Flat on my back View Post
        Thanks Carlos,

That helps out alot.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flat on my back View Post
          Thanks Carlos,

That helps out alot.

sigpic

Comment

Is the needle spigot bearing and release bearing common between ABY and 3B?

Which clutches are suitable for the 3B flywheel on ABY engine and 6 speed?
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Pretty sure the you need the 3B versions of both bearings. I'd go for a Sachs uprated clutch, pricey but dependable.
              1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
              1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
              1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
              1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Yeah I was swaying towards that or the spec. want to make sure I order the correct spindle bearing for mine. I have P/N of 034 105 313A for Spigot bearing and 0B1 141 165 for Release bearing. Are these the correct P/N's for the 3B flywheel on there?
                Greg

Comment

make sure you get that flywheel refaced before you fit a new clutch
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                    Is the needle spigot bearing and release bearing common between ABY and 3B?

Which clutches are suitable for the 3B flywheel on ABY engine and 6 speed?
                    Release bearing is common, spigot bearing is 3B to fit the different flywheel. Up to you whether you get a metal or plastic housing release bearing.

Clutch wise (as above) Sachs Race Engineering (?SRE) are the best but are £££, there are then southbend, spec 3+ and many others for less money, some of which have been covered on here with differing results.

A stock clutch is not suitable for your power level (unlike ABY/ADU item) and IME slips a little with continued abuse on 300bhp but is fine for road driving, if you're on a budget.

IMO, get the best you can afford... i.e. get a SRE.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Yeah got a nice shine refaced clutch ready to go, just collecting all of the bits atm
                      Greg

Comment

Consider getting some offset subframe bushes to save stressing the gearbox mounts when you reassemble it. It will go but it's not ideal. As a side effect, you'll add a touch of caster to the equation too.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

out of interest what do the dowels do and what happens if you simply don't fit them? two of my cars never had them and both 20vt's on 6 speeds.

Comment

They align the gearbox to the crank case. You could leave them out but then there will be a little movement when you attach it all back together, thus the linkage and a few other things might not be exactly where they were before. They also help to hold the gearbox in place when you're aligning and tightening it all up.
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                              Consider getting some offset subframe bushes to save stressing the gearbox mounts when you reassemble it. It will go but it's not ideal. As a side effect, you'll add a touch of caster to the equation too.
                              Bit of a shame, because I have not long replaced all of the subframe bushes only 7 months ago with poly's. Is it purely the metal insert that differs on those? Was wondering if the engine mounts would need some adjustment too, or weather there is enough movement in the slot on the mounting brackets
                              Greg

Comment

ABY gearbox needs ABY release bearing - not depending on flywheel

Last edited by blackS2; 23 September 2011, 15:51.
                                [__]=oooo=[__]

Comment

Working...
                                X