• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet, I've seen just over 110 then
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Oil temp can get very hot on a CQ20v due to lack of oil cooler, steady cruise down the motorway at 85-90 (~4000rpms) for a while will get up to 100c. If i red line away from the toll booth to the end of 4th gear it will rise to the line before 130c. Basically any prolonged WOT use above 5000rpms make the dial move pretty quickly.

It does however cool down very quickly too, usually the time it takes to coast down a motorway slip road will bring the temp down to normal levels. Using those figures as a basis just shows how important the oil cooler is on the turbo charged motors.
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Seen above 130 on oil temps on the 7A. On a spirited motorway drive, seen just below 130. My old 10v used to be the same.

Still waiting to see what difference the cooler makes on track but on the motoway it is cooler. Hate to imagine what an S2 would be like with no cooler!

Comment

Yeah, on track S2 hits 13 ish. Not had higher, would back off if it was much more.
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I wonder at what temperature the oil becomes permanently damaged?

Comment

Hmm on my meter, the fans start at 105deg and water sits between 90+2 - 90+4 and this was raised after i changed the mfts sensor???
              It is NEVER below 90 when it´s up to normal working temps

Comment

On a hot day over here (40+C) after a good thrash my oil goes to 110-115 deg.c. It normally sits at the 90 mark, the water sits on a cruise at 1 notch below 90, in town it sits on 90 and a bit of spirited driving takes it to one notch over where the fan kicks in. And i dont have the Aux rad, and use the aircon which cools the car even more as it brings the fan in constantly on the first speed.
                Graham
                Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

in mine with a cooler thermostat and sensor,the fan kicks in just under 90 (when the A/C shows 86-87 actually) and during speeding it is around 86 to 87C (water temp)

the others are about the same as andy described,only needs much harder pushing to get the oil temp moving due to the bigger oil cooler

Comment

I hard wired my fan for normal operation and ultra high. Helps on track in the heat.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      Here's the temp gauge at fan kick-in.
                      How long should the fan run each time it kicks in?

I got my Avant started the other day while on axle stands, temp gauge was just about vertical when the fan kicked in but only runs for ~10 seconds each time. Is that normal?
                      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post

For reference
                          My fan starts at 105` and the meter is at normal at 100` (thats 90+3) this isent normal is it?

Comment

nope!
                            under no circomstances should it be like that. your coolant at 105C starts vapourising

check and replace the MFTS sensor,because you may be just getting a false reading.

Comment

Wonder how many times that image above has been resized and saved? It's gone a bit blurry
                              Here's a clearer version

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                              2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                              1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

I would've thought 105 was fine. Mine is the same and has been SINCE I changed to a new genuine MFTS. Coolant won't vapourise surely as the the whole system is pressurised?!?

Comment

Working...
                                X