Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny enough, mine reacted the same when i got a new one from pete, temp raised from "normal" to this.
    Maybe some dodgy sensors or?

Comment

hadn't seen that pic before of the gauge with the green figures - i always thought there was something amiss with the 7A always running 3 bars below 90 when cruising, but if its 87deg than thats the same as the stat... all makes sense now
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Mine is from Pete also. Could be dodgy, but mine is deffo better than it was with the old sendor.

Comment

Hmmm... I also have one from pete that i fitted recently... Guess what? it sits normally at 90+2/3

Glad i saw this, i was going to rip the cooling system to bits again even though i thought the engine wasnt running that hot. Oil temp isn't that hot either.

Further investigation required.....

Dan
          sigpic

Comment

AND the plot thickens............ PEEEEEEEEEEETEEE!!!!!!

Comment

Ok so imust have a prob with mine! My water temp gauge never goes over 50+1 notch!also the fan kicks in at this temp too.. For 30 seconds intermitenraly! If i'm on the motorway needle hardley moves at all! Changed the sensor in the rad as b4 the needle didn't work at all! The car must always be running in warm up mode! I've suspected this for a while and have posted before but without much luck, been told this is ok... anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
              James

Comment

Sounds like you have a leak, I've found that this can send the temperature gauge and fan control all over the place. The temperature sender is on teh back of the block, next to the rown pipe (see SJM Autotechnic for this) and can be tested for resistance, there's aslo teh MFTS on the water manifold to test. If it's losing water though then this is the first place to start. Also, you might want to replace the thermostat in case it's weak, they're cheap enough but difficult to do if all the plastic gubbins is still in the engine bay
                Cheers'en, AndyC
                1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I do have a leak which has jst come to light! Actually looking for the pipe now! Not sure it'll have any effect on the water temp! It must have been leaking for quite a while tho seems!cheers for the help hope i'l have a bit of luck with it!

Comment

Guys, i found out that the sensors that read 90 + 2-3 is wrong, when it reaches "normal temp" the ecu will think it´s to hot and either take some boost/ignition of or ad fuel.
                    Have put a genuine in mine now after i thought the aftermarket one (i got mine from pete) was off, and gues what IT IS!
                    My car ws running rich when it reached the "normal temp" @ 90 + 3 and felt a little bit sluggish, but after i put the genuine in temp is 90-1 @ normal and gets better milage and deffo more pull in the car now(feels like 10+bhp), so check it up people!!

Comment

A water leak prevents the system from pressurising properly and it throws the sensors out.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post

For reference
                        I concur with AUDIS2Avant, mine sits right between those little dots between 105deg and 113, Mine's a non-turbo though. Its had a new rad and temp sensors last year. Will check for leaks

Comment

I have just got one from Pete and have found the same thing my 7a engine sits at 105 deg, the old mfts when it worked sat bang on 90 degs.

Comment

I got 2 new MFTS sensors from 034 and they both read higher ( around 100°C ) than the ones they replaced. I ended up using the old one as it was a known.
                            sigpic
                            1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                            1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                            1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Having had my hands on all manor of cooling parts some hot and some not so today with an infra red thermometer so i could measure actual temps, there is no way it's running hot, the mfts itself was running at no more than about 90degs everything around it was too hot to touch, gonna give pete a bell tomorrow about it.

Comment

Wow this forums getting better all the time, I can actually post my requests telepathically now. Was thinking if my oil pressure is correct driving home from work today, 2 idle 4.5-5 under accelaration, spot on by the sound of things

All hail the forum well done, didn't even have to post the request for advice

Comment

Working...
                                X