Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s2_bo
    replied
    The rack gets in the way when you remove the gearbox. With out the rack in its so much easier to take the box out. Saying that i have removed a couple of racks and its a pita with the engine out let alone with it in.
    Id like to hear what someone that has done it with the enigne and box in has to say about it..

Leave a comment:

• Error404
    replied
    TBH surely you'd have to remove that much stuff off the engine to get access you may as well just pull the engine out in one go

Leave a comment:

• LHD_Kid
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyP View Post
    I've just replaced the rack on my 3B, but I had the engine out to do it. Knowing how tricky is was with then engine out, I would never recommend trying to remove the rack with the engine in.
    Has anybody replaced a rack with the engine in?
    I also want to do this on a 3B (no battery), was wondering if it would be easier if the gearbox was removed.... It's not that hard to remove the gearbox....

What are peoples thoughts on this....?

Leave a comment:

• Phil Payne
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyP View Post
    I've done it on an ur-quattro 20V. I seem to remember it was fairly simple - comes out through the right wheel well.

Leave a comment:

• AndyP
    replied
    I've just replaced the rack on my 3B, but I had the engine out to do it. Knowing how tricky is was with then engine out, I would never recommend trying to remove the rack with the engine in.

Leave a comment:

• mouse
    started a topic ABY Steering Rack Removal Guide

ABY Steering Rack Removal Guide

I'm contemplating taking my steering rack out to rebuild it but not sure what is involved.
    Can anyone who's BTDT help me put together a step by step guide for an ABY S2? ([edit: or 3b or Rs2] with no battery in the way).

As a starting point I've attached the steering rack removal section from a workshop manual found online (removal starts at 48-17) although this mainly describes the process for a V6 as they are the most involved.

If you have done this can you let me know which steps are NOT required for an aby S2? Then I'll list the remaining steps and any additional items can be added.

Attached Files
    Last edited by mouse; 22 June 2010, 04:16.
Working...
X