ABY Steering Rack Removal Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY Steering Rack Removal Guide

I'm contemplating taking my steering rack out to rebuild it but not sure what is involved.
    Can anyone who's BTDT help me put together a step by step guide for an ABY S2? ([edit: or 3b or Rs2] with no battery in the way).

As a starting point I've attached the steering rack removal section from a workshop manual found online (removal starts at 48-17) although this mainly describes the process for a V6 as they are the most involved.

If you have done this can you let me know which steps are NOT required for an aby S2? Then I'll list the remaining steps and any additional items can be added.

Attached Files
    Last edited by mouse; 22 June 2010, 05:16.

I've just replaced the rack on my 3B, but I had the engine out to do it. Knowing how tricky is was with then engine out, I would never recommend trying to remove the rack with the engine in.
    Has anybody replaced a rack with the engine in?
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
      I've done it on an ur-quattro 20V. I seem to remember it was fairly simple - comes out through the right wheel well.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
        I've just replaced the rack on my 3B, but I had the engine out to do it. Knowing how tricky is was with then engine out, I would never recommend trying to remove the rack with the engine in.
        I also want to do this on a 3B (no battery), was wondering if it would be easier if the gearbox was removed.... It's not that hard to remove the gearbox....

What are peoples thoughts on this....?
        Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
        S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
        '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

TBH surely you'd have to remove that much stuff off the engine to get access you may as well just pull the engine out in one go
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

The rack gets in the way when you remove the gearbox. With out the rack in its so much easier to take the box out. Saying that i have removed a couple of racks and its a pita with the engine out let alone with it in.
            Id like to hear what someone that has done it with the enigne and box in has to say about it..
            91 S2 coupé - RIP
            98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Payne View Post
              I've done it on an ur-quattro 20V. I seem to remember it was fairly simple - comes out through the right wheel well.
              The manual in my first post says the same. . (the part about the wheel well anyway)
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mouse View Post
                The manual in my first post says the same. . (the part about the wheel well anyway)
                Yup. The biggest problem I had was with the two Allen screws whose heads are exposed in the wheel well. Good idea to order a couple of replacements.

Of course I work on ur-quattros primarily, and they're getting old. So I've invested in a set of sockets - I forget the name, but it's something like "Grip-all") that can be hammered on to reluctant or rounded bolts. They're not the branded "Grip-Tite" ones, but the principle is the same.

I've used one on 10V inlet manifold screws as well.

Comment

So... has anyone managed to do this with the engine in?..

Comment

Yes I have done it. and without removing too much stuff too.
                    You will need two people to seperate the rack from the column and the same to refit.
                    Not a nice job but can deff be done without the engine out.
                    Audi Nut!!!

Comment

I'll try to do step by step for you. I take it it is RHD?

Step 1
                      Turn steering to access Bolts (5) and nuts (10) remove with extension bar and spanner.
                      Step 2 Undo Nuts (11) and remove retainer (20)
                      Step 3 Remove Allan bolts (25)
                      Step 4 Remove two nuts that holds the rack to item (2)
                      Step 5 Remove Drivers under dash cover.
                      Step 6 Remove pinch bolt from bottom of drivers steering column
                      Step 7 Spread the clamp carfully a little and release the rack (this bit is easier said than done when your squashed in the footwell.
                      Step 8 Remove the banjo's (15) catch the copper washers
                      Step 9 Wiggle the rack out of it's current location.

HTH
                      If I have missed anything someone will be along to point it out.

In honesty it took 2 of us nearly 3 hours start to finish
                      Attached Files
                      Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Bumping an old thread, anyone done this on LHD car?
                        How do you get it out at all? I cant get it out from the "footwell" and out from the wheel arch. Its no space in either place lol.

Not sure how to "wiggle it out" from part 24 in picture above.

I have everything else out atm
                        https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

When I did a rack on my rhd, it has to be lifted upwards into the engine bay. it doesn't fit out through the track rod hole.
                          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Nightmare on a RHD 3B, I seem to remember that was the point I decided my battery was going under the back seat..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

So got it out in the end, was struggling so hard to get a part off (red circle). Even after the bolt/nut was loose and out it still was sitting hard.

Removed it, pushed the sealing inside the cabin and then could just wiggle the whole unit out. What a mess

And this is with everything out of the car

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 2 photos.
                              https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X