Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative head stud washer solution to ARP's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative head stud washer solution to ARP's.

In the midst of doing a rebuild here and the problem of replacing the arp headstud washers cropped up.

The arps are 19mm in diameter but there have been reports of them digging into the alloy due to the loads applied and people needing to go to a bigger washer.

An alternative solution although likely not the only one is to use a headbolt washer from Toyota. Sacrilige? Nah, practicalties.

The replacements are 22mm in diameter and a smidge under 3.0mm thick, the arps are 3.0mm dead.
    Inside diameters the same and they fit nicely into the space provided for the stock bolts.

Part number from any Toyota main dealer is: 90201-11028, cost £1.28 a shot.

Pictures.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Nice find. I've recently removed the head from my car after running ARP's with the washers they supply. No issues with the head found, so not sure whether some people have used incorrect torque values with them
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

a good find..

Comment

Good work Tony

I believe there were two different washer sizes supplied by ARP, the newer ones are larger.
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Nice help bro
          Step 1: setup. <==
          Step 2: potentiation.
          Step 3: enjoy.

Comment

Nice find Tony, thanks for sharing.

You should drop in here more, you normally have great info to share!
            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Agreed, thanks for sharing, all these these threads help to create an invaluable body of information to make the preservation / enjoyment of these I5 cars easier.

Not done a head, so how many washers does one need ?

Thanks.

Comment

You need 12 of them..

Comment

I think the issue with washer digging into the alloy is not because size of washers, i think its all about lubrication under the washers, the guy who did my head told me that, if you put grease underneath the washers the problem wont occur. Its all about friction he told me, especially when tightening the bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                    Nice find. I've recently removed the head from my car after running ARP's with the washers they supply. No issues with the head found, so not sure whether some people have used incorrect torque values with them
                    What torque is everybody using?

JP said the digging in is due to lack of lube and the washer turning.
                    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                      Nice find Tony, thanks for sharing.

You should drop in here more, you normally have great info to share!
                      I do swing by regularly Andy I just dont log in very often.
                      I kind of guessed that digging in to the alloy might be caused by lack of lubricant under the washers, makes sense to me, but I have to admit I dont like the smaller diameter of the arps.
                      They dont "look" right if you know what I mean.
                      Anyways, glad its of some interest.

Comment

With molyslip, it's 60 ftlbs. There's a thread with the values in somewhere. I remember doing 20 then 40 then 60 ftlbs.

Torque values ate different for grease and engine oil lubrication, so use only moly and not copperslip, LM grease or oil.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC
                        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Installed some custom ones made by a forum member. Thanks uploadfromtaptalk1430051708904.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rxl View Post
                            Installed some custom ones made by a forum member. Thanks [ATTACH]53282[/ATTACH]
                            Nice!

Expensive?
                            91 Modded 3B
                            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

For a washer yes. But I think it was worth it

Comment

Working...
                              X