Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renewing valve steam seals (with head on block)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a terribly exciting photo, intake on the left, and exhaust on the right. They had gone so hard they just break apart when you squeeze them out of shape.

Haven't driven the car yet, but it idles noticeably smoother and quieter than before. I did also replace the cam chain which probably has more to do with it as the old one was fairly sloppy. Car does have 170k miles on it now.

Also noticed the inside of my intake pipes and manifold was completely dry, not a spec of oil on anything so that crank case breather certainly does its job
    Attached Files
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Great!
      I'm glad that the old rope method worked for you also.And this valve spring copressor looks realy nice.
      When you started precedure with air compressor did you hammered before a bit the top of spring reteiner?This make collars to open easy.

Comment

I tried but the collets would not break loose, i had to hold the valve shut against the rope to free them. The intake were ok, but the exhaust side were stuck very tight.

Comment

mcandmar,

Have you noticed any change in oil consumption one way or the other ?

Any change in exhaust 'smoke' appearance ?

Thanks.

Comment

Did an oil change ~600 miles ago and its used nothing, also not seen any exhaust smoke when hot so its fixed that issue good and proper. Also fitted a new valve cover gasket so its not dribbling down the back of the head any more.

I had to replace the after run coolant pump over the weekend as it sprang a leak, and my rear main seal is starting to leak now too. It never ends

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
              I had to replace the after run coolant pump over the weekend as it sprang a leak, and my rear main seal is starting to leak now too. It never ends
              Yes,it looks like it never ends,if the engine is not rebuild.But this cars a special.And when you fix problems by your own it makes more special for you.

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post

..........and my rear main seal is starting to leak now too. It never ends
                Can't be much more this stage.

Comment

Working...
                X