Audi 80 Quattro v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi 80 Quattro v8

Most of you will know of this car as has been floating around the forum since circa 2011 when Mark ( rotoryboy) initially bought it as a stock 2.6 Quattro for an s2 conversion.
    This sadly didn't happen and was sold onto another forum member who undertook a v8 swap with a 2000 c5 s6 4.2 40v unit with 50k on the clocks.
    From here the details are pretty sketchy as was partially finished then sold .
    From there it's changed hands quite a few times and each owner has done a little more but it's never been properly finished.
    I picked it up about 3 weeks ago with the help of Mark Midgeley ( thanks Mark ).

The owner failed to mention the power steering pump was literally gushing fluid out leaving me leaving me with no power steering or brake assist .
    Everything else works to a degree but still a fair amount of fettling to do to finish it off.
    Temp gauge reads very high but is constant and been told that the gauge reads incorrectly and is actually running lower than it shows. From reading the US build threads cooling these has always been a bit of a problem. Ideally I'd like to see a true temp reading on vcds but I don't have access to it so ordered an infra red temperature gun.
    Currently it's running stock 2.6 rad and single fan with two aftermarket slimline fans with 2 stage controller . They all work but long term solution will be the biggest ally rad I can get in their with two large slimline fans .
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.
    S2 Cabriolet.........

Managed to limp it back from Nottingham to Essex without issue and pulled the power steering pump the next day. It's the stock twin vane v6 pump and was leaking from the usual culprit ( the big X screw in the top ) swapped this for a spare pump from Mark and voila, brakes and power steering and a really bad droan
    S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

First wash after fitting my 18" s8 d2's
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 5 photos.
      S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

VERY nice.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Looks good, love the colour but hey i am biased lol
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Incorrect temperature readings might be the same case few of us had with 1.8t swaps. Sender that comes with engine apparently has different characteristics which leads to gauge always reading higher than it is. Solution was simple - we used separate cluster temp sender from 2.0 abt/abk engine.

Comment

Was my car for a while, when I got it temp gauge and airbag lights were either not working or lit. Sorted these and rebuilt the rear suspension / brakes. Was on standard suspension and B5 S4 wheels when I had it

John

Comment

Thanks MDZ, handy to know. Hopefully temperature gun will turn up tomorrow and I can find out what the true temp is
                S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Thanks John ,
                  I'm trying to piece together who's done what on it over the years.
                  I did drop you a message the other week but not sure if it went through on the new system. Would love to have a chat and pick your brains about what you know about the car ( good and bad lol )
                  Was the temp gauge reading accurately when you had it ?
                  Thanks
                  Gav
                  S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Hopefully it has reached the right owner who can do it justice. Really well worth the effort and expense.

Would love to have it / one myself.

The sound and the instant torque.

Enjoy the sleeper.

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun this car. Big engine for an 80.
                      engine swapped cars do take a lot of time to get all the details right. But it already runs and drives. So you can enjoy it while fixing things.

1967 fiat 500 future project
                      1976 audi 100 coupe S
                      1989 vw corrado 16V
                      1989 audi 90 quattro 20V sport
                      1994 audi RS2 project
                      1994 audi RS2 parts car
                      1995 audi RS2 project

Comment

Cheers guys , big engine but almost identical weight to the original v6 that came out .

will be changing a fair bit over the next few weeks hopefully to trying to upload some more pics however keeps say the files are to big ? Although they are the same size as tyebpics ive already uploaded
                        Any help ?
                        Gav
                        S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Very nice car with great engine!
                          For my taste it only needs S2 rear bumper and three spoke steering wheel.

Comment

One step ahead. Fitted 3 spoke airbag steering wheel retrimmed in alcantara and converted to flat bottom. Picking up a pearl white s2 saloon rear bumper next .
                            Also fitted black leather recaros so looking out for matching door cards and rear seats.
                            Have a few bits to fit over the next few weeks. Rs2 front bumper , bonnet grill , headlight trims and mirrors once they are painted.
                            Also have milltek exhaust from a b5 s4 to go on and US spec rear lights are on their way
                            Gav
                            S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

pretty amazing car , must be awesome to cruise with...that sound

got a question : is the rear bumper identical on a S2 salloon and S2 avant ? i m looking for a swap also and wander if it woud fit.. i know the coupe one is different, but from the Avant is it ?
                              S2 's and oldtimers

Comment

Working...
                              X