No announcement yet.

My 96 ABY S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little update on the underside refresh. It grew arms and legs. (Why would it not ) from it needing attention to the exhaust hanger closest to the rear panel. It became evident that water ingress due to the breakdown in the seam sealer had riddled the underside.

So the decision was made to drop all rear running gear, suspension, prop, fuel/ brake lines and get right in there. Some areas just required taking back to clean steel. Where as two needed new metal. (Rear of the sill and as mentioned, the exhaust hanger)

We’ve used 3M Sealer, and it’s back in body colour. Apologies I don't have pictures in body colour. I'll add the later when home. Here’s are a few of, before, during and after.

We’ve done to the outer sills, up to the gearbox tunnel. This point forwards we’ll complete when the engine/ box comes out.

Thanks
    Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SE_30; 18 October 2021, 21:40.
    Stuart
    B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Looking really good mate!

What's happening when the engine comes out?

Jase.

Comment

Yes looking good keep up the great work

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
        THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaswan View Post
          Looking really good mate!

What's happening when the engine comes out?

Jase.
          Just a freshen up of the engine bay buddy.

Stuart
          B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Originally posted by vonbeck View Post
            Yes looking good keep up the great work

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
            Thanks buddy..

Stuart
            B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Not a great deal to update with. But I’m progressing with the underside refresh. Removal of the both subframes which have been sent for blasting/ dipping and galvanising is in hand. Suspension and wishbones will be placed to one side ready for the cast type and some freshly refurbished pressed rears. I’ve a new set of KW V3’s waiting to be fitted.

As with these S2’s. I was kind of hoping to removed the suspension and subframes ready for the change over. But no such luck. Found some surface rust in the wheel arches that needs attention prior to suspension fit up and wheel alignment.

I’ve refurbished the a rear hub and carrier fitted new bearings etc. I used x3 coats of high build primer. And x2 coats of smooth Hammerite. Didn’t fancy the Por 15 route this time around. Or trusting a company to plastic coat the hub carrier without covering the bearing seat with paint.

Next time home I’ll see to the wheel arches with a wire wheel attachment. Pop some fresh 3M under seal in there. Plus send the rear hub assembly down to Alex (Error 404) at Ultra Performance Engineering to make up some front and rear caliper mounts for the front AP’s and my Ur S4 calipers I’ve robbed from my 90q drag car. Picture of a two piece disc set up that will be fitted front and rear.

Cheers all.

Last edited by SE_30; 18 June 2022, 23:07.
              Stuart
              B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Stuart
                B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Subframes back from galvanising. Should be good for another thirty years I hope.

Stuart
                  B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Looking good!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaswan View Post
                      Looking good!!
                      I'm home next week for a month if you want to call round for a cuppa.
                      Stuart
                      B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Where and how did you get them galvanised? Presumably hot dip? Asking for a friend..... (with bigger subframes!)

Comment

Originally posted by SE_30 View Post

I'm home next week for a month if you want to call round for a cuppa.
                          Sounds good to me! I'll drop you a PM.

Jase.

Comment

Originally posted by HPsauce View Post
                            Where and how did you get them galvanised? Presumably hot dip? Asking for a friend..... (with bigger subframes!)
                            Done by these guys here at Ribble. https://paint-strip.co.uk

Cheers
                            Stuart
                            B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

I still hate that I sold this but glad that it's gone to someone capable of such work.

I always look forward to the updates on this, it is looking amazing!

Comment

Working...
                              X