S2 Sedan vs B5 S4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
    S4 will flatter you, I've been round the 'ring in a pretty fast standard turbo one and it takes the whole place in it's stride with no fuss, no drama. The S2 on teh other hand destroys tyres, slides all over the place, feels unstable, heavy and at times a bit slow but ti makes me and the passengers whoop and smile and laugh and that's what it's all about. Not much in the times either!

The S4 twin wishbone suspension rides amazingly and even when lowered on stiff spring it'll be comfortable and smooth. Standard S2 shakes your teeth out and rattles trim loose, mine with uprated dampers is worse, something on 600lb coiloverts would be almost impossible

S2 steering a lot more direct and has a shorter ratio by quite some margin, not sure what the differece S2 to 90q is though.

Even a 500bhp S4 feels civilised and calm (apart form the noise and OH WHAT A NOISE!), I can't imagine an S2 feeling civilisedd with that power!
    your making the b3/b4 chassis audis sound like it is a $h!t box.....do they really feel that way to you?
    -1990 7A coupe (US)
    *s2 front end with rs2 headlights.
    *Fiber Images CF hood.
    *5 lug converted (s2 front, early a4 12v rear).
    *993 TT front calipers, rs2 brackets, SS lines, A8 323mm rotors ,and Ferodo DS2500 Club Race pads.
    *H&R springs with Bilstein HD shocks and green HD strut mounts.
    *Another 7A on the stand almost ready for boost

-1991 3B 200 20v Avant (US)
    *Ben Swann Chip www.gtq.com
    *Boge Turbo Gas struts

Comment

Originally posted by aesthetics View Post
      your making the b3/b4 chassis audis sound like it is a $h!t box.....do they really feel that way to you?
      Pretty much but that's what makes it fun it's challenging rather than a modern car that just takes everything in its stride and makes you feel rather detached. No doubt in my mind that the B5 is a world apart from my typ89CQ chassis in terms of ride and handling but I'm keeping my $h!t box
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

well considering the b5 chassis has a newer suspension system than the typ89, it makes sense and it is understandable. I guess you have a lot more experience than me too considering youve been on the ring

haha dont get me wrong, im also keeping the $h!t box as well. I still think typ89 chassis audis with both the b3 and b4 front end are the sexiest audis. And the i5 t makes them even sexier.

imagine a brand new s5 with an rs2 motor tuned for 400hp. I like the Audi v8, but I like the i5 that much more
        -1990 7A coupe (US)
        *s2 front end with rs2 headlights.
        *Fiber Images CF hood.
        *5 lug converted (s2 front, early a4 12v rear).
        *993 TT front calipers, rs2 brackets, SS lines, A8 323mm rotors ,and Ferodo DS2500 Club Race pads.
        *H&R springs with Bilstein HD shocks and green HD strut mounts.
        *Another 7A on the stand almost ready for boost

-1991 3B 200 20v Avant (US)
        *Ben Swann Chip www.gtq.com
        *Boge Turbo Gas struts

Comment

well pretty much what I figured....S2 (RS2 power) would have more personality - better I5 sounds...but inferior handling, etc. As common sense should dictate, I guess it would literally be an in-between in terms of everything - personality, handling, creature comforts, etc compared to my current line up - the '01 S4 and '84 ur-quattro with 3B (somewhat RS2'd). As cool as it would be I'm thinking it will not be worth the time/effort/expense of making an S2/RS2 sedan out of 90q (here in the USA). Thanks for input guys-

Brandon
          '84 ur-quattro 20Vt
          '01 S4

Comment

Brandon

While ultimately you have decided not to make RS2 out of a 90, I always wonder why guys in the US never arrange to buy a LHD S2 or RS2 in Germany, ( complete with electronic Air Con / Climate Control ) and arrange to have it shipped in a container to the US, rather than go to the trouble and expense of replicating one from a B3/B4 and the ANN engine from an S4.

Is it the shipping cost or restrictions by the Authorities on the importation and use of such a car in the US. Type approval.

Just curious.

Comment

I see the answer to my own question

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t=26534&page=7

Say post # 93 approx.

If only I could help myself on other fronts ?

Comment

Yeah - imporation would be a huge hassle. Doing a swap on a 90q wouldn't be _that _ big a deal seeing as how i've been through the drill with my ur-quattro. Don't get me wrong - it really would be _such_ a cool car - nice black '95 90q with black sport leather, newer 3-spoke airbag wheel from A4/S4, bigger brakes, biggers wheels (think Avus or 16 x 8 Fuchs from Ur S car), S2 front valence/bumper (I acrtaullyliekthe S2 more than RS2 bumper/valence) and an RS2'D AAN. I actually do think it would be reliable - as it would need to be b/c we're talking daily driver - but after all that I end up with a daily driver that has inferior handling, creature comforts, lighting, and interior design compared to the S4. Yes it would sound better - might be as fast - but certainly with more drama and it would have more "soul" - but I already have lots of soul and sound with the urq. Doing all that work for sound and soul with the compromises just not worth it right now. If I didn't have the urq w/ 3B that would be a different story tho....

Anyway thanks all for the thoughts - fun stuff.

Brandon
                '01 S4 - MTM, Supersprint, Stasis suspension
                '84 ur-quattro 20Vt

Comment

Working...
                X