Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope aelred on here is doing all that.

Comment

Speaking of heads i've had a 7A, 3B, AAN, and ABY head apart and found the 7A/3B heads were a better quality casting. In fact i would say the earlier the head the better the quality. The worst of the lot was the 94 ABY head, the intake ports were not cast in the center of the valve seat. I.e. one side of the port wall was recessed upto 1mm from the valve seat resulting in a sharp lip. The 7A/3B heads were perfect with enough material around the port to have a smooth transition from valve seat to the port wall.

7A head was also crack free, 3B head has one small crank starting around the spark plug. AAN/ABY heads were both cracked on each cyl around the spark plugs, and the AAN also has an inch long crack down one of the exhaust ports. Again it seems the earlier the head the better.

The 7A/3B heads were both from a 91, the AAN was a 92 with the bolt on cam sensor mount, and the ABY was a 94 with the cast mount.

Pics are ABY vs a 3B after port work.
      Attached Files
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
        ported
        new bullet shape guides fitted, and machining done to take the turbo water manifold,
        sodium filled exhaust valves
        chambers balanced plus valves and seats cut, pressure tested and a very light skim to clean the face
        What sort of money are you talking to get that kind of work done?

Comment

there

are also people running 7a heads with just the one water inlet, in sweden and norway, running +500hp. Anything is possible, im going to test the same, as i have 5spare heads here..
          japanischer industriabfall nein danke!!
          www.rackeltrim.se Icelandic Division

Comment

nice cq! , fellow GTi Engineering owner i see!
            Last edited by MGaz; 11 January 2009, 04:21.
            C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
            2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
            Schrick 272 cam
            C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
            ITG filter

Comment

Working...
            X