The S2's Daddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newsh
    Certainly looks a beauty, an 85? I drive an 84 and a 92 S2 and they are both wonderful cars. the S2 is faster, but the ur feels faster, makes a wonderful noise and (on bilsteins) handles beautifully, they really are completely different cars. Dont very often end up both on the road at the same time though... LOL
    It's an 86. Must be nice to own both
    Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I've just got the car back from the Quattro Workshop and she's running much better now. My bank balance isn't so healthy though . It was nice to have someone give her the once over though, and to confirm that she's a good-un. Roger Galvin reckoned she's worth near to £6k, so I'm pretty happy.
    Still not sure if I've done the right thing though. They loaned me a G plate Coupe Quattro and it was so much more user friendly and comfortable than the UR. It reminded me how much I loved my old Coupe 2.3E. I must be getting old, prefering comfort over fun
    I can't afford an S2

Comment

One of the advantages of becoming old??
      I've had the ur since 87ish? Bought fire damaged for 2k.
      The 3b cost me 3,750 so no complaints there, though I've spent a few quid on it since
      These cars are less a mode of transport more a way of life really

Yes, the S2 is quiet and comfortable, quicker, safer etc,etc..
      The ur is a great drive.

Originally posted by Mike Jones
      It's an 86. Must be nice to own both
      Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I've just got the car back from the Quattro Workshop and she's running much better now. My bank balance isn't so healthy though . It was nice to have someone give her the once over though, and to confirm that she's a good-un. Roger Galvin reckoned she's worth near to £6k, so I'm pretty happy.
      Still not sure if I've done the right thing though. They loaned me a G plate Coupe Quattro and it was so much more user friendly and comfortable than the UR. It reminded me how much I loved my old Coupe 2.3E. I must be getting old, prefering comfort over fun

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

The UR is the car I fell in love with as a spotty teenager all those years ago. They are a wonderful driving machine if properly fettled, but they do look properly *OLD* now it must be said.

For me, the S2 would be much more comparable to the UR if it lost a couple hundred kilos in weight, had a lower driving position and a NON Torsen centre diff.

The UR isn't suited to being a daily driver in my opinion cos of running costs - the risk of being stolen or wiped out by some scrote in a Subaru trying it on at a roundabout. Nor is the UR suited to long journeys with the clunky 80's ergonomics and not so comfy seats. Having both is the best of course if the wallet permits... there is something magical about a nicely kept UR. Enjoy them both !

Paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I must be alone here...I never fell in love with the UR. Everyones motives for buying a car are different and the S2 met my selection criteria hands down. Audi was never top of my list but the S2 did what I wanted it to and offered me a good basis for a project and a hobby. Lovely example you have there though Mike and I hope it gives you everything you expect of it...as my S2 did for me. The only other Audi apart from the S2 that I would actually part with cash for is a very high mileage RS4 (again as a project) but I am not looking as my current plans will take several years to complete and I expect RS4 residuals to remain as strong as the RS2 did for just as long.
          1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
          Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
            The UR is the car I fell in love with as a spotty teenager all those years ago. They are a wonderful driving machine if properly fettled, but they do look properly *OLD* now it must be said.

For me, the S2 would be much more comparable to the UR if it lost a couple hundred kilos in weight, had a lower driving position and a NON Torsen centre diff.

The UR isn't suited to being a daily driver in my opinion cos of running costs - the risk of being stolen or wiped out by some scrote in a Subaru trying it on at a roundabout. Nor is the UR suited to long journeys with the clunky 80's ergonomics and not so comfy seats. Having both is the best of course if the wallet permits... there is something magical about a nicely kept UR. Enjoy them both !

Paul
            If I may jump in?

the ur looks old? It is still as discreet today as it was new, it is still used as a bench mark by most performance magazines.

Long journeys? I would chose the ur to go to the south of France any day of the week, how can you say the seats are not comfortable?
            To coin a phrase from anothe german manufacturer "The Ultimate Driving Machine" fit's perfectly, how many cars can be such an all round package? Wet/dry, daily trawl or countryside thrash, down to the shops or to the other side of the world.

Out of all the cars in the cupboard I would chose the ur any day of the week.

Rant over (for now!!!)
            Corey
            01636 822288

Comment

touche Corey-)-)

My thoughts exactly Corey-)-). Something magical about these cars that defy explanation. They must be considering the amount of money we spend keeping the s2's at bay-)-)

Kev

Originally posted by Corey
              If I may jump in?

the ur looks old? It is still as discreet today as it was new, it is still used as a bench mark by most performance magazines.

Long journeys? I would chose the ur to go to the south of France any day of the week, how can you say the seats are not comfortable?
              To coin a phrase from anothe german manufacturer "The Ultimate Driving Machine" fit's perfectly, how many cars can be such an all round package? Wet/dry, daily trawl or countryside thrash, down to the shops or to the other side of the world.

Rant over (for now!!!)

Comment

If my wallet would permit it I would merge the technic of my S into my 85. Of coiurse it must be stripped down and rebuilt from scratch before. Here are the 2.

If the pic does not appear could someone please advise me how to add pics?
                Marcel

Comment

If I may jump in?

Rant over (for now!!!)
                  Don't get me wrong Corey - I like a nice UR - its the fundamental reason I got into Audis so long ago, but I still stand by my opinion. It does look dated now and for me personally it is nothing like as comfortable to drive as the S2. The UR's dynamics are certainly more 'fun' than the bloated S2 in stock trim, but as for the ergonomics of the UR - they are best described as 'Citroenesque' and lets leave it at that.

I don't dislike the UR - nor is the S2 perfect - I think the ultimate coupe quattro would be a morph of the modern exterior styling and interior of the S2 Coupe (with UR-like wheel arches), fitted with a ~300bhp/450Nm flavour of the ABY engine (on a K24 to minimise lag), coupled to a NON Torsen drivetrain (with decent gear spacing) inside a much lighter chassis - with adjustable suspension to remove some understeer for some of us. It would also have the RS2 front bumper, some headlights that actually worked, 17" wheels and brakes that were actually capable of stopping the car.

Paul
                  Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

It would be a sad day, when everybody had the same opinion and you are entitled to your's, as long as you agree with me.

Abt did an S2 with flared arches, C5 I think they called them, only ever seen one, didn't look right IMHO!!!

Don't get me wrong I do like the S2 as I do any turbo'd I5, why else would I be here?

but the ur
                    Corey
                    01636 822288

Comment

It would be a sad day, when everybody had the same opinion and you are entitled to your's, as long as you agree with me.

Abt did an S2 with flared arches, C5 I think they called them, only ever seen one, didn't look right IMHO!!!

Don't get me wrong I do like the S2 as I do any turbo'd I5, why else would I be here?

but the ur
                      See Corey - I absolutely love the ABT conversion you refer to - if its the big mental red thing you refer to (with bling tricks like 4-ring exhaust tail pipe). That archwork looked plenty good to me. Its all a matter of taste I guess !

Queen or U2 ?

Ferrari or Porsche ?

ATM or MPLS ?

PC or MAC ?

Kylie or Jay-Lo ?

Ribbed or Flavoured ?

Each to their own !!!!!!!
                      Paul Nugent

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                        Queen or U2 ?

Ferrari or Porsche ?

ATM or MPLS ?

PC or MAC ?

Kylie or Jay-Lo ?

Ribbed or Flavoured ?

U2
                        Porsche
                        (ATM MPLS) showing my ignorance?
                        PC
                        KYLIE

Ribbed, inside out for my pleasure!!!

Seeing as you asked!!!

Yes it was the same Abt.
                        Corey
                        01636 822288

Comment

Ribbed, inside out for my pleasure!!!
                          Just as well it wasn't flavoured - for your pleasure

I have never been in an UR until a couple of months ago - it is Chancha's 20valver - I think they are great cars - totally different feel to an S2.
                          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                            Just as well it wasn't flavoured - for your pleasure

I have never been in an UR until a couple of months ago - it is Chancha's 20valver - I think they are great cars - totally different feel to an S2.
                            You want to try a 10v, even more raw.

Corey
                            01636 822288

Comment

If you can get a UR in that nick, it's no mistake.

Fortunate enough to have an Pearl White 88MB as well as the S2 Avant and can honestly say that both cars have they're own plus points. At the end of the day, I wouldn't part with either, they're both fantastic.
                              95 S2 Avant Ming Blue - now gone and sorley missed:cry:
                              2001 B5 RS4 Santorin Blue - MRC'd - now here:chit:
                              88 Ur MB Quattro -Pearl White - The daddy!:cool:

Classic S2 Avant billboard ad - "My other car's a Porsche, but today I'm in a hurry"

Comment

Still not sure if I've done the right thing though.
                                have you had a change of heart mate i just spotted it on ebay!
                                i would love to have a go in one haven't had the chance yet fancie a swap for a day
                                Simon.
                                S.P.S. TUNING
                                '93 ABY S2.... sold
                                me thinks RR URQ next :mischeif:

Comment

Working...
                                X