No announcement yet.

bad times - oil everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good Greg, glad to see it's sorted. Out of interest what did you have to change and what was the cost? (And the cost of a new one if known for comparison?)

I had a look at my oil cooler the other day, its not leaking but same story - full of leaves and soggy dirt, fins are falling to pieces and I'm thinking about replacing it when the engine goes back in... parts are totting up fast but looking at this I don't think I can afford not to replace it!
    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by S2 EDS View Post
      Interesting to hear about the oil cooler letting go!..

I recently changed my oil cooler - thanks to Pete at Quattro corner. Mine had a good quantity of leaves and road deposits sitting against the bottom row of the cooler. It was a real bsatrad to remove the nuts - rusted in!

When I dismantled all the air duct, housing and brackets, etc I took the time to strip down and treat with a good old paint of black hammerite. Hell, I even treated the oil cooler to a lick of red hammerite. When I removed the oil cooler, the fins were literally disintegrating upon touch.

My oil pipes were all good - the offside pipe was the real bsatrad to get off. All wire brushed off and copper greased to new oil cooler.

I like your new oil cooler - be great if you coul get some ducting fixed up to maximising cooling potential.

Will post up some photos of my efforts soon.
      Yeah mine was a complete sod to get off too, the bottom of the cooler was rotten from all of the leaves being built up against it. One of the pipes got damage removing it because it was so tight. Ally on steel doesnt help.

Originally posted by newsh View Post
      Looks pretty tidy, make sure the ducting doesn't touch the front of the cooler.
      Yeah left a little gap, angled the cooler a bit too to avoid the bracket the duct fits to and left a bit for leaves and debris to escape through.

Originally posted by Ross View Post
      Looks good Greg, glad to see it's sorted. Out of interest what did you have to change and what was the cost? (And the cost of a new one if known for comparison?)

I had a look at my oil cooler the other day, its not leaking but same story - full of leaves and soggy dirt, fins are falling to pieces and I'm thinking about replacing it when the engine goes back in... parts are totting up fast but looking at this I don't think I can afford not to replace it!
      Well at the moment compared to a new one and pipes from Audi @ £600 this solution has worked out about £320 for all of the fittngs. I could have probably got away with less hose, but didnt want ro run out.

Hopefully can get the other pipe fitted this weekend and tested.
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Good to see your nearly there..

Comment

Good news today, in between dodging heavy rain and hail we managed to get the other oil cooler pipe connected and the engine running.

When I last had it run on another cooler, but couldnt drive on it the engine was very tappety. Got it started and it kept stalling after a couple of seconds and was wondering what was wrong. After about 10 attempts and thinking it was electrics that had got damp I got my head under the bumper and realised the pipe to the intercooler inlet wasnt connected Got this reconnected after going and getting a new hoseclip because the other one was knackered and sprung into life.

Had the engine running up to temp with no leaks and the cooler started getting oil through so looking good so far, goto take out for test run but is running nice and smooth without any bad noises. Aside from the PAS pump which will be getting replaced next along with new rear calipers. Gonna try and get them both done before the MRC RR day if I can and providing drives ok will get on RR for a bit of health check.

I'll get some photos when I am working on it next. Reckon it will be alot more efficient than the stock item and it also retains the original mounting position and aux rad
          Greg

Comment

MateI,m so happy for you.What a relief for you chap,not the nightmare it could have bean a.HAPPY DAY.On the road again.Hope to see you at the MRC day.All the best Lynn.

Comment

For completeness the parts required for the oil cooler setup are:

Description: 13 row 235mm matrix width -10 male ports 4561-13-10
              Item Price: £ 59.20
              Qty: 1
              Total: £ 59.20

------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Description: -10 to M18 x 1.5mm adaptor 734-10
              Item Price: £ 8.05
              Qty: 2
              Total: £ 16.10

Description: M18 dowty seal 513-M18
              Item Price: £ 0.45
              Total: £ 0.90

Description: -10 100 Series hose 100-10
              Item Price: £ 24.77
              Total: £ 49.54

Description: Speedflow Vice Jaws in plastic - 484P
              Free with purchase of £60.00 net hose ends -06 +: I have purchased £60
              net of -06 hose ends or above
              Item Price: £ 0.00
              Qty: 1
              Total: £ 0.00

Description: -10 90deg hose end 103-10
              Item Price: £ 25.89
              Total: £ 51.78

Description: -10 45deg hose end 102-10
              Item Price: £ 25.89
              Total: £ 51.78

All of the parts were from speedflow
              Greg

Comment

Does this mean you don't need to rebuild the engine, or is that still on the cards?

Cheers,

Steve
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic
                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Any pictures..

Comment

Opps just seen the picture..

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                      Does this mean you don't need to rebuild the engine, or is that still on the cards?

Cheers,

Steve
                      Unfortunately it does, the car was running well when we went to the MRC RR day and I gave it a baptism of fire on the RR and was running well, it wasnt until we were doing 20mph in traffic we heard a metallic clink once followed a few seconds later and then the engine siezed.

Im taking it out in a couple of weeks time so will find out what let go.
                      Greg

Comment

Oh I see, I didn't realise it has seized.

Was this shortly after you lost all the oil?

Best of luck getting it sorted.
                        The Perfectionist
                        sigpic
                        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

thats really bad luck dude....

I had a warm a fuzzy feeling towards the end of this post then the bombshell of all bombshells....

good list of parts....i am currently looking at oil cooler parts as a matter of fact...

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                            Oh I see, I didn't realise it has seized.

Was this shortly after you lost all the oil?

Best of luck getting it sorted.

It had lost the oil and I had it off of the road while I fixed the oil cooler and got that sorted, changed oil etc when fitting the new one and went for a test run on the Friday before MRC and all seemed fine, drove over the RR day at wanted to know for definite that it was running well so stuck it on the RR and the rest is history..
                            Greg

Comment

Working...
                            X