Jason's 1996 ABY S2 coupe project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason's 1996 ABY S2 coupe project

I picked myself up a '96 ABY 6 speed S2 the other day. It's in Kingfisher blue (Pelican blue) with beige leather. The car has loads of service history, and benefits from a Miltek exhaust, k&n panel filer, Porsche calipers/a8 discs and aftermarket suspension.
    *It didn't benefit from the 4 amplified 6x9s in the rear shelf! All the stock speakers were disconnected

The car was generally very tidy, with only a couple of bubbles (one 1cm one on the passenger rear arch, and one slightly larger one under the rear passenger window) and a few minor scrapes and a couple of tiny dings.
    The interior is solid, but quite grubby. The seats are in very good shape, just dirty, but the carpet is quite stained. All little bits for me to tinker with, and reduced the price of the car somewhat.

Here she is

I'll get some better pics when it's been tidied up a bit
    Last edited by j_jza80; 2 August 2011, 18:24.
    EX S2 ABY owner, now driving a BMW E39 530D manual & a MK1 Golf GTi called 'Hattie'
    My second Supra, a very special 1997 RZ-S 6 speed single

tip place the photobucket link inside [img] [/img] so they appear directly in your thread or use the little photo icon to do the same.

Comment

After picking the car up (and some back roads ) I took it home, and started stripping the audio out. I replaced the head unit with an Alpine 9812RB I had sat around. I replaced much of the cut up/bodged stereo wiring with new and new connectors. I fit car audio & technology part time so this was straightforward for me. It's all now all working perfectly, with all the stock speaker locations

The interior needs a fair bit of cleaning, so I ripped it all out *
      It was quite a daunting job at first, as I couldn't find any information on how to do it. After a bit of poking around, I realised you only need to remove one nut&bolt to remove each seat! the rest was just methodical trim removal, tedious and time consuming

One very dirty carpet!

A big pile of redundant stereo/amp wiring.

This was only part of what I ripped out! the battery is slowly loosing charge apparently, hopefully this will cure it

I refitted the drivers seat so can use the car

I spent a good few hours cleaning the carpet on Monday, and started on the leather restoration. I'll get some pics of it up when it's done.

Removing the interior has also allowed me to inspect the inside of the shell. For a car that's been on British roads for 15 years, I can't believe how solid it is. There's 4 extremely minor prices of surface rust on the whole car!
      Last edited by j_jza80; 2 August 2011, 18:29.
      EX S2 ABY owner, now driving a BMW E39 530D manual & a MK1 Golf GTi called 'Hattie'

Comment

I've had the builders in at home today, so no opportunity to work on the car.
        However, the carpet is still badly stained in some places. This appears to be old coffee, and probably varnish. These stains have resisted carols carpet cleaners (foaming and non foaming), brushes and steam cleaning.
        With this in mind, I've decided to dye the carpet black. It won't be original obviously but will look much better, and I doubt I'd be able to pick up a good condition carpet in cream now.
        The dye will be here in a few days, so I'll show you my results.

The leather is also proving troublesome as the colouring balm I have, though very good, isn't strong enough for some of the creases, and one scratch imparticular. So I ordered myself a recolouring kit this morning from furniture clinic. I didn't want to go to this expense (a fair bit over ÂŁ200 on leather products now! ) however, I believe the results will be more than worth it.
        Last edited by j_jza80; 2 August 2011, 18:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
          tip place the photobucket link inside [img] [/img] so they appear directly in your thread or use the little photo icon to do the same.
          Thanks

Comment

4.----------

Comment

Did you buy it from York?
              That's where I fitted the brakes onto it.
              Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
              England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

Originally posted by BRY View Post
                Did you buy it from York?
                That's where I fitted the brakes onto it.
                Yeah

I live in York, and it was only 5 mins from my house

Comment

Hey guys, an update's well overdue, but just wanting some opinions on the wheels for my Audi S2 for now

It currently wears a set of 17" OZ Vela wheels;

Although the OZ wheels could be refurbished, they're an older design and I don't think they suit the car fantastically. I negotiated this into the price when I bought my S2, so I don't really mind buying some new ones. I've just missed out on a set of cheap but brand new BBS CV wheels (thanks to my Internet connection! )

I've been offered a set of these KTS wheels from a 200sx for next to nothing;

They're in fairly good condition, but I could afford to refurb them any colour I want. The only downside I can see is that I'll need to buy adaptors, as these are 5x114.3 and the Audi obviously needs 5x112. I could use wobble bolts... But no! On the plus side, the adaptors I've seen convert the Audi to stud rather than bolt fitment, which I find much better.

So really I'm after opinions on wether these wheels will suit the car, and what colour to go for? I think they'll look great, as they're a similar design to various BBS wheels, and would go either bright silver or a light-ish gunmetal.

If going gunmetal I'd be tempted to get the grille surround and badges done in gunmetal instead of chrome.

Opinions please!

Comment

They would look awesome dude. Get them and get them in anthracite.

Comment

They look good, that size/width/ET are they? Do you have space for adapters?
                      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                        They look good, that size/width/ET are they? Do you have space for adapters?
                        Iirc they're something like 17x8j et50. I take it the important thing is the ability to fit 225 tyres on them? (so anything between 7 and 8.5j?)

Comment

If you have been offered these alloys for nowt id grab them straight away!! In my opinion look much better than your current alloys they would suit your car

Comment

Buy Rusty's Superleggeras
                            Straight fit no messing with expensive adapters, look good, nice and light and come with decent tyres already. No brainer for me.
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Love Kingfisher blue, it's a lovely colour. I think I've seen this car at ADI a few years ago.

Anthracite wheels will look ace on it
                              Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                              X