Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a 3B Coupe - Couple of questions

Hi there.

I hope I've managed to get this post in the right section, but I'm new so if I haven't then my apologies!

Long story short, I've been offered a swap by my boss; my Astra Turbo hatchback for his '91 3B Coupe which I've 99% decided to accept. However, there are a couple of issues (as with any old car) on this S2 that I wanted to try and get some expert advice on.

Firstly, the speedometer has a fault where when you start driving, it will shoot up to about 40 MPH and then stick there. All the other gauges are working normally and I'm told the odometer is functioning correctly. The actual face of the dial has started to peel away slightly, could the needle be getting stuck on the peeling bits and if so, does anyone know where I could get hold of replacement dials? I had a bit of a trawl through this forum and found a thread about some rather nice looking plasma dials but it was a couple of years old. Are they still available? Alternatively, is the trouble more likely to be a speed sensor or speedo cable?

The second problem is with the central locking. I'm told that it needs "a new pipe" in the drivers door as the original is split. The central locking is totally dead. Is that likely to be correct?

Also, considering the fact that not many S2's were imported into the UK I wondered if anyone on here might know anything about the car. It's a 1991 3B Coupe in very dark blue registered XXI 2331. Anyone remember/know anything about the history of this motor?

Any help with any of the above would be hugely appreciated. The speedometer issue especially as I know it's going to drive me insane (as well as a bit clench-inducing when going past a GATSO!)

Best Regards

Doug
    '89 Mercedes 300D, '91 Audi S2 3B Coupe, '95 Citroen AX, '03 Astra Turbo.

Hi..cant say i know on the central locking but thee speedo face is very common and will likely need a new clock or just change the face...
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Try Rusty on here for new dials.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

With regards to the central locking, it could be a faulty pump. If you lock the car can you hear the pump running? (its behind the driverside rear trim panel) If there is an air leak it will run for 30 seconds then cut out. There are lots of places that it can leak but no point looking if your pump is gone.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys, as far as the central locking goes I'll have a listen and see if I can hear the pump operating.

Comment

Originally posted by dougiefourspeed View Post
            Thanks for the responses guys, as far as the central locking goes I'll have a listen and see if I can hear the pump operating.
            If it is the pump i have got a few different types

Comment

Wiring loom to the central locking pump runs along the driver's side footwell under the carpet next to the door, it can crack where it enters the white trunking, worth a check if you can't hear the pump working. The pump itself is behind the driver's side rear card.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dougiefourspeed View Post
                Firstly, the speedometer has a fault where when you start driving, it will shoot up to about 40 MPH and then stick there. All the other gauges are working normally and I'm told the odometer is functioning correctly. The actual face of the dial has started to peel away slightly, could the needle be getting stuck on the peeling bits and if so, does anyone know where I could get hold of replacement dials?
                Andy (Rusty) should be able to sort you out.

Good luck with the buy too, im sure most problems you are likely to encounter have been covered here
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. With regards to the central locking, the pump is working fine, the pipe work appears to be borked on the drivers side. I've managed to find a replacement instrument cluster local to me on eBay so hopefully I can get that and start driving the car!

Comment

Working...
                  X