RS2 airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 airbox

Been out there this morning getting my RS2 airbox fitted, turned out to be a bit more of a task than expected.

Because the inlet trumpet on the RS2 box is that much bigger and it is in a slightly different position I had to relocate the Ballast for my HID on that side which took a bit of work because there isnt many places it can be put without blocking the air flow.

I managed to fit it near the air intake flat at the bottom so it may actually help marginally since it is flat, I also had to remount the relay for the HID's too, once that was out of the way it was quite an easy job.

thought id post a couple of pics so oyu can see how much difference there is between the inlet trumpets. Didnt realise it was that big til today.
    Attached Files
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

and one now its fitted, nice standard fit.
    Attached Files
    Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
      and one now its fitted, nice standard fit.
      Greg,

what is your filter element? I see you have a RS2 MAF.
      Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

just using a K&N panel filter, i got one of those metal mesh cone filters from gti international originally but it was a bit too boy racer with the noises.

Greg
        Greg

Comment

just using a K&N panel filter, i got one of those metal mesh cone filters from gti international originally but it was a bit too boy racer with the noises.

Greg
          How richly do you reoil it after cleaning? I s your MAF wire also dirty all the time like mine? I clean it every 5-6 weeks to make it shine again.
          Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

I havent checked it recently, got a big bottle of IPA so cleaning isnt too bad. with the re oiling i do it at every service and give it a good clean first.

I think the first time i oiled it i over did it a bit but not quite so bad now, but i do have to wipe some excess oil from the bottom of the airbox now and then.

when i re oiled it I just put 2 passes of the spray in each fold.

Greg
            Greg

Comment

is the s2 and rs2 airbox the same?

Comment

Greg
                Hey, I just fitted mine from GTi this year. ****** hell its loud! Car now sounds like a jet aircraft taking off: I like it. One bloke on the pavement nearly fell over with fright the other day....LMAO. Maybe he was a military veteran and thought it was an incoming attack! Burberry chav-cap is on order!!

I am playing about with various heat shields at the moment to see which is best. Once the design is right I will make it out of ally as I am using sheets of glavanised steel to work out the shapes and positions presently. I am also trying various air intake ducts for cold air but it is difficult to quantify which one works best.

RS2 airbox intake is HUGE. Never realised the difference myself. Does it make a difference to your car Greg or is the intake path around the airbox still a major restriction in the system?

@Marks2, look at the pics and you can see the difference between both airboxes. ABY and ADU are straight swaps if you have all the pieces (like new headlight shroud etc). The 3B is very different again and I am not sure where the mounting points are.
                1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

MAF problems are caused by over-oiling when refreshing the K&N. I didn't have any issues. We cleaned my MAF once trying to find a fuelling fault but it turned out to be a blocked fuel filter. I used a K&N for 3 years or so and cleaned/refreshed it every 15k miles or so (1 in 3 oil services).

Designun Limited....

Comment

Originally posted by marks2
                    is the s2 and rs2 airbox the same?
                    No, if you look at photo at top you can see the difference. RS2 one on left S2 ABY on right.
                    Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                      Hey, I just fitted mine from GTi this year. ****** hell its loud! Car now sounds like a jet aircraft taking off: I like it. One bloke on the pavement nearly fell over with fright the other day....LMAO. Maybe he was a military veteran and thought it was an incoming attack! Burberry chav-cap is on order!!
                      Yeah I know, pulled off in first and hit 1.4bar before changing gear and the noise was ear peircing, couldnt believe how loud it was!

inlet must still be restrictive in some ways, I haven't worked out if the cross sectional area of the intake behind the headlight is the same at the acutal air intake.

With it on though it does sound a bit different and might just be me but engine seems to pick up a little better than before with improved throttle repsonse.

Greg
                      Greg

Comment

Cool. They are expensive new though and hard to find second hand. Nice work mate.

Designun Limited....

Comment

yeah was pretty lucky to get hold of this one since I was 4th in the pecking order to buy it and the other 3 didnt get it for whatever reason.

Greg
                          Greg

Comment

there doesnt seem to be much diffrence between the rs2 s2 airbox, my friend is having a complete rs2 engine put in to his s2 coupe, but he is using the standard ABY airbox,

1. do you think he should change for the rs2 airbox?

2. will it make much noticeble diffrence to his performance?

thanks!!

Comment

if he has the RS2 box fit it Mihnea reckoned you get about 5hp fitting it and max of 8hp after tuning if your lucky.

Greg
                              Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X