• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s2_wot View Post
    I was delighted to see that the ecu is a virgin
    Do you need help with that?
    http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

You already know half of my plan . Yes I'll need your help, I'll be very happy to have you in my ECU again.
      Shane

Comment

A small update. The previous owner informed me that the compression on cyl3 was very low when he tested it. I've decided to plough ahead and change the head gasket. Like all other things with these cars you can get sucked in.

My spare AAN head has been refurbished with new guides and seals and the valves polished and seats recut.

I have assembled it with my wagner exhaust manifold and will hopefully complete the swap in the next 24 hours. With a bit of luck I'll have new water manifold seals tomorrow.

In preparation for lifting the head off the car I have removed the bumper & radiator, loosened the downpipe from the turbo and disconnected a bunch of stuff on the intake side.

I have a few small clips and pipes to disconnect and out she'll come.

I have come to expect the unexpected so I was not particularly surprised to find these marks out of alignment with cyl 1 at TDC in the head. Unfortunately it was too late to get a clear view through the inspection hole to the flywheel. I guess lifting the head will reveal all

New belt and water pump etc fitted recently; fingers crossed the crank pulley is ok.
        Shane

Comment

Sucked in by the vortex that surrounds every five cylinder Audi of this vintage !

Watching.

Comment

I have a nice rear spoiler for a URS4.......
            Audi A6 AEL 5cyl Quattro breaking.
            Audi A5 3.0tdi Quattro Stage 2

Comment

The 2 dots of tippex in this photo confirm my suspicions from the earlier post.

I have added these two marks. One is on the dimpled timing mark on the lower cam cover. The other is on the timing mark on the damper. The timing is definitely off. This means that I need to find borrow or make an AAN crank locking tool to ensure that the lower pulley is in good shape.

It took a bit of heave but here is the head removed

The gasket hadn't failed in any traditional failure sense but you can see the waterways were badly choked up with crud.

I will finish this post by asking would anybody like a heavily scored AAN block?
              Shane

Comment

Is the crank locking tool the same as the aby?

I could dpd my crank locking tool up to you ( its a little bigger than normal though see pic )

Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

God the above pic brings back nightmares for me lol.

Comment

Originally posted by irishs2 View Post

I could dpd my crank locking tool up to you ( its a little bigger than normal though see pic )
                    Well I think we all know who has got the biggest crank locking tool now
                    I'll do some research and get back to you. Obviously I'd cover the DPD costs etc. That would be fantastic.

Originally posted by Christophski View Post
                    God the above pic brings back nightmares for me lol.
                    Ah it'll come good in the end
                    Shane

Comment

The crank pulley timing marks don't quite line up on mine either when the cyl #1 is at TDC. The workshop manual tells you to use the flywheel mark. I checked mine with a dial gauge on the piston and finally found the flywheel mark which I have now painted to help in future!
                      '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin's S4 View Post
                        The crank pulley timing marks don't quite line up on mine either when the cyl #1 is at TDC. The workshop manual tells you to use the flywheel mark. I checked mine with a dial gauge on the piston and finally found the flywheel mark which I have now painted to help in future!
                        Funny you should say that, cyl#1 does look very close to TDC. I must try to measure it to satisfy my own curiosity.

Next step, open that crank bolt and rip the block out of it.
                        Shane

Comment

Originally posted by irishs2 View Post

Cool tool, Eric.

Comment

How does the ANN block differ compared to an ABY one ?

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                              How does the ANN block differ compared to an ABY one ?

They'd be the same, I'll rebuild the whole thing in due course...
                              Shane

Comment

Working...
                              X