No announcement yet.

1993 URS4 Avant tidy up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior needs a bit of love too, drivers seat bolster is shot, and headliner sagging. There was a chap who said he had a full set of leather seats for it in difts for sale thread, those would be ideal but I can't get a hold of him on here. I may have a go at redoing the headliner, but it doesn't bother me for now, rather concentrate on getting it driving again.

Ive stripped a S4 estate, Got a good rooflining (with sunroof) also got black jaquard cloth electric front seats, rear seats, doorcards etc. Got most of the internal trims as well. Would do a good price for it all

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
      This solution is the easiest fabrication-wise but it is the worst flow wise:

This is the one you want - good flow characteristics:

Thats how it's getting done Dave, other pic was just a general overview.

Shaun, I may take you up on the headliner, ideally I want some leathers. Have a set lined up but they're ecru/beige so would end up dying them black unless I can find some decent black ones before.

Sent from apollo 13 using tapatalk
      1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Whatever about the cloth seats, I'm sure Shaun would do a good price, you can always look to sell it on in due course, I'd wait for black leather rather than all of the effort of dyeing cream leather.

Just my tuppence - again

Comment

Out with the old, in with the new.

Swapped the front subframe bushes out for Thomas's solid items, that was easier than I thought it would be coming from coupe ownership! Waiting for the arb castor mounts to come and the sleeves for the rear mounts and control arm bolt and then can get the front end all bolted back in. Also thrown in some wheel studs, again left over from the coupe.

Need to order some bits for the back end, new shock boots and bump stops as they're completely shot. Rears were standard shocks so some ones just thrown konis on the front at some point, a bit odd.

Only marks left on springs are rears which are 2 pinks. Will Check later to see what that comes up as.

Attached Files
          1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post

Only marks left on springs are rears which are 2 pinks. Will Check later to see what that comes up as.

That will be 2 x pink = the 1BE sport suspension except yours should be 2 x pink and 1 x sliver.Your silver might be there if you clean and look carefully as the silver if worn hardly shows up. There is also a 3 x pink and 1 x silver which is also 1BE suspension.
            96 URS6 plus speck saloon
            96 URS6 plus speck estate
            94 2.6 80 Avant
            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Well it's definitely on 1BE as it has a 28mm front bar and also a rear bar so thumbs up.

1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Downpipe has been welded up, looking lovely and many times more pretty than I would have managed. Will be making a start on the rest of the system next week as and when I get chance. Got the rest of the front end to put back together too.

Going to have to get pretty ruthless with the tierod adjusters as they're seized solid, but I have new ends and adjuster bars to go in so will clean them up good and proper and assemble with plenty of grease. Front anti roll bar mount turned up today and it looks beaut, just need the bolts for fitting then the front subframe can all go in as one with new lower arms and bushes. Can't wait.

Attached Files
                1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

His welds are very tidy. You should let him make up the rest of the system.

Copper grease everything.

Comment

Haha, I can't afford for him to do the rest of the system, his current clientele are Ferraris and other sorts of exotics.

Anyway, I had a chat with myself and I've decided to lose the solid engine mounts. So with the money I've got for selling them on I've bought new engine and gearbox mounts. Don't want to be going down the same route I did with the coupe and putting solid mounts everywhere. Standard replacements should make it feel new again, and it needs to be more family friendly.

Except the subframe mounts, but everything else is rubber.

Fitted the front ARB extra caster mounts with poly bush from Albert.

My favourite upgrade so far on working on this car has been a cordless impact gun haha. Saved me lots of knuckles and back ache.

Calipers have gone to shot blasters to get cleaned up, and got service kit to rebuild with new seals and rubbers.

Still waiting on bump stops for rear struts to go back together.

Once the suspension is all back together I'll concentrate on the fuel lines and exhaust.

Attached Files
                    1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Haha, I can't afford for him to do the rest of the system, his current clientele are Ferraris and other sorts of exotics.
                      Explain mates rates to him.

He make it back on work from this forum.

His welding is exquisite.

Comment

Anyway, I had a chat with myself and I've decided to lose the solid engine mounts. So with the money I've got for selling them on I've bought new engine and gearbox mounts. Don't want to be going down the same route I did with the coupe and putting solid mounts everywhere. Standard replacements should make it feel new again, and it needs to be more family friendly.

Except the subframe mounts, but everything else is rubber.
                        You won't regret it. Mine has oem everything except Bilstein shocks and H&R 29800 with S8 D1 rims with 255/35/18, Albert's castor clamps and it is still comfortable.

It grips perfectly and is no worse for not having poly / metal bushes everywhere.

'Non car people' passengers never pass any comments.

Upgrading stuff over oem isn't always better.

Comment

All the struts are back together now, just the passenger front to refit in the car, rears were a piece of pi$$ really, was expecting the car to put up a good fight but pretty straight forward, no other disassembly required other than the struts.

Been replacing the tie rod ends, had to get medieval and remove them from the car to get a proper grip on them to free them off, with fire and a 4 foot stilson. Cleaned up and reassembled with plenty of schmoo.

Noticed earlier while I was tidying that the CV joint inner bevell washer was in the old boot, so need to pull that and refit it, need to order some boot clamps.

When my engine and gearbox mounts turn up, the front subframe can go back on, then just waiting for the brake calipers to rebuild once theyve been blasted and thats the front end done.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.
                          1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Got the calipers back today. Put new seals in and given them some paint. Just painting them black, nothing flashy.

Still waiting on a few bits to arrive to reassemble the front end.

Some boring pics attached.

Attached Files
                            1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Calipers rebuilt and painted. Need to make new hard lines and fit new flexis then can bleed then through.

Replaced solid engine mounts with some new rubber ones for more smooths. New gearbox mounts while unwashed at it. Have a new snub mount to fit once the subframe is back on and its Sat where it wants to.

Made a bit of a hestshield for the drivers side engine mount out of a bit of stainless to stop it getting cooked by the turbo, can't hurt.
                              Subframe is waiting to go back on now, hoped to do it tonight but ran out of time and need to remove the seats tomorrow to pick up a new set on my travels this weekend.

Attached Files
                              Last edited by Kieron20V; 4 February 2016, 22:19.
                              1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Hi Kieron, sorry you had a few issues with the front brakes, I'm a bit dissapointed with the two garages I used, I did tell them both to go over the car and spot issues prior to my family road trip, amazed they missed the engine mount in particular!

As I said I am no spanner monkey, I was chuffed for a week after I replaced the top of the wastegate from the previous superchips bodge significant spannering on a car is far beyond my skill and time constraints.

At least everything else seems to be running as smoothly as it can do for an old car, you certainly know your way round it.

I look forward to the updates... I do miss it!

Comment

Working...
                                X