Describe your best drive....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Describe your best drive....

I've got many, but today, with the S2 and the border collie, on local roads, I had a blinder. We entered at a dual carriageway roundabout and was slightly rudely 'popped across the bows' by a modified 2010 golf gti... On the ensuing dual carriageway rise, the dog was firmly welded againt the rear screen, the bubbles and snot smear confirm the aggressive acceleration delivered. Next came the windy bends where said golfy seemed to suffer from classic 'lowered car, public highway' high speed skippy the wolfberg kangaroo complete with cocky the leggy stuff... Fun to watch, but rather irritatingly, still d1cking about slowing me and the now " well into IOM TT side car leaning " dawg in the back" down...

Well, to cut a long story short, we had a little out draggy post cornery run "at it" kind of thing where the S2's HUGE go**** at mid/high speed just wasn't going to be tamed by golfy... next excitement came shortly after at the next roundabout, where, Mr DHL Delivery was stationary.... And best way of describing it... Me, the dog and the shopping wasn't....

Im sure we've all been there, where the distance ahead is shrinking, rapidly, and you are calculating out peddle pressure against distance and its close, but working.... When... DHL selects reverse... On a dual carriageway roundabout... Well, ETA on DHL's rear index plate suddenly becomes imminent... Braking increases, dog assumes brace position against load liner and rear seats, with head staring at Mr DHL, shopping starts migrating south, and, in true S2 fashion, it just digs into the huge untapped arsenal as a car, and hauls up beautifully...

what is about S2's? They're 3 dimensional, Normal... fine.. Push hard, Hmmm, okay but not selling it... Over the top.. oh god, so much more to give... sublime....
    85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
    93 MTMS2 Avant

Quite.....
    which is why after a horrible 2 week period of thinking I might have to sell the S2(big bills and we're not talking pelicans) ....
    I'm not

PS: guessing your pooch is long adept at the ' legs splayed in stabiliser mode '

Comment

Similar fun-ness in my s2 avant with poochems in the passenger footwell firmly in the laying down brace position whilst staring at me with those 'why dear god do I go in the car with you, I much prefer mummy's drivin and A4 boot' look in his eyes until I start to go right foot down with the window down and his face chills as he loves the gain of wind rush circulating air.

He hates my corners in the avant which I must say with the rs2 ARBs and Quattro sticks bloody well. Plus Ian, we all know the green avants are faster and handle better than any others out there

Comment

Ian.....great write-up Dogs like going fast, I now know this.......it's fact!

Colin...good decision, has to be worth keeping hold of something that's only going up in value.

Chris...green avants' fastest? Good to know!

Comment

Great write up Ian this is exactly why mine is an absolute keeper you just don't get the pleasure from driving in a modern car. I love my A6 and its feels nearly as quick as the S2 but it's the sound of the S2 that gets me and when chavs don't have a clue what your driving and you leave the idiots standing gives great satisfaction lol!!

As for Bonni (my little cocker spaniel) she loves her Saturday drive to kielder when sometimes I just take it easy enjoy the weather and scenery or sometimes I go for a blast. 3 weekends ago I stopped for a coffee at the Premier in Otterburn and I come out to some guy taking a pic of my S2 and obviously I was defensive and asked what's he doing and said I've stood here for 5 mins admiring your stunning car and asked any chance of selling and I replied nee chance!! He said don't blame you!!

Colin you don't want to sell your lovely Coupe!! I can't wait to get a pic of yours n mine side by side

John you have 2 absolutely stunning Audis your Coupe is amazing and your Avant which am looking forward to seeing one day looks amazing to!! Question is which one is your favourite lol!!??

Comment

Years ago my ex shut up for a whole car journey, it was absolute bliss

Comment

So many, but a couple are particularly memorable, both in the S8 and uphill on VERY narrow roads (though totally different):
              1. Driving hard up the Bealach na Ba (look it up) a few years ago.
              2. Blasting up this empty single-track road this June near Coomanaspig (south of Valentia Island in Ireland) to a car park at the top of the ridge and smelling the heat of car when parked:
              http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explo...rder=date_desc

Comment

Originally posted by david1980 View Post
                Years ago my ex shut up for a whole car journey, it was absolute bliss
                Perfection.

Edit: Possibly the best answer to any question ever asked on the forum. Award?
                Last edited by Cymru1; 9 October 2016, 02:03.

Comment

Stelvio pass.

Mid week when it is quiet. 5 cylinder engine under load up hill, sound bouncing off the walls cut into the mountain at the side of the road. Hairpin after hairpin and the chance to accelerate hard time and time again to hear it! Nice cup of coffee at the top then back down again marvelling at how much smoke was coming off the brakes pulling in for a pizza at the bottom.

Comment

Great post think I'll go out for a blast

Comment

Best drive

Driving up through weardale valley approaching a village called cowshill , got slowed by 4 Sunday drivers well about 100 metres further up the road it forks but joins together again 500 metres later ,taking the left fork I gave her full wack , unbeknownst to me one of my mates was in the lead car of 4 ,when the roads joined together,he saw a black s2 exiting the slip road like Michael Schumacher exiting the pit lane ,these cars are awesome .

Comment

Great drives..

Iv got 2...

Up behind a 996 Turbo in the middle lane of the A3 about 70 mph, being blocked by cars all around, suddenly a gap appears on the inside lane and 996 goes for the undertake, at about the same time the outside lane clears for me, and I give it the beans...., 4th gear and WOT into 5 and 6th. Turbo man not amused as I passed him in the outside lane.... Estate cars don't go that fast... don't they ?

A few moons ago I had the clutch changed on my (now departed) 1978, 911 3.3 Turbo, chap took the engine out on the drive, changed the clutch, did a full service, fitted an aftermarket k&N inlet manifold kit and put it all back together. Job done, he started her up and ran it up to temp to check for leaks... all good he says, take it out "for a spin".. A short distance from the house I join a two lane dual carriageway. As I pull out I must have give it a little bit too much welly and both rear tyres begin to smoke and the tail snaps out, I remembered the 1st commandment of 911 ownership (for the love of God, don't back off ! don't.. back.. off !...) and I corrected the slide, at which point, it snaps back the other way... 2nd commandment says (keep your foot in and don't back off !...). Now at this stage the engine is screaming at 6,000 rpm in 1st... It slithered around left and then right until it finally went straight enough to attempt a change into second but the tyres continued to spin.... only now I can back off... and take a breath...... I look in the mirror and the air is full of blue smoke, the approaching traffic had come to a standstill (waiting for me to crash !), but I didn't, just disappeared up the road...... After changing my underwear back at the house I told the mechanic.... he then says " yea, should have told you the new air intake will get the turbo spinning earlier and the tyres will be cold, so take it easy..! " It would be a lie to say I was ever in control during the slide.....but it must have looked spectacular.. could easily have ended in disaster...... hairy car !

Comment

A fair few moons ago, I had a b2 Coupe Quattro, great car, loved it to bits. I used to regularly go on drives with a few friends that had Subarus. There was a gathering of them at one point, and they asked if I wanted to tag along, after all the quattro is a spiritual forefather of the Subaru.

This all took place on the roads of north Wales, we followed the A5 for a while and pulled up to chat and admire the vehicles, I spoke to a chap in an Impreza WR1 which was a limited edition 300+ bhp car. Anyway we started off again and the guy was right behind be in the procession. We turned up on to the Denbigh moors, where things get a little twistier and the speeds began to climb, we were really shifting by this point. We took a right taking us along side Brennig lake, this later rejoins the A5 and completes the third leg of " The EVO triangle" known as this because EVO magazine and a lot of other motoring magazines and programs love using it for reviewing cars, good scenery, challenging roads making a good combo.

We later pull up for a bit more chin wagging, and I was sought out by the driver and passenger of the WR1, who told me that quattro goes well for 236bhp, to which i replied " I said ONE36 not 236" he looked like he'd seen a ghost at this point. And said he struggled to keep up on the twistier section, along with an STI Tha was sat behind him for most of it.

Engage Smug Mode!

Comment

Working...
                          X