90 Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael S2 View Post
    Might catch you lot on the road on Sunday. I'll be headed home form Skye so keep your eyes peeled for a big blue bus

Not tackled the starter motor again John as I'm away working now.
    .......are you taking the extra extended tourist with no map route home!

Comment

Ah.... I think you may be falling foul of the ET37 of the Boleros there, which were designed for the Cabriolet, which has the same extended wings as the Coupe.

Not sure there is much you can do to fix it, but as you say it is temporarily, I think the preferred fix will be to get the speedlines installed again

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
        Ah.... I think you may be falling foul of the ET37 of the Boleros there, which were designed for the Cabriolet, which has the same extended wings as the Coupe.

Not sure there is much you can do to fix it, but as you say it is temporarily, I think the preferred fix will be to get the speedlines installed again

Comment

On the speedlines refurb, do you know if will you end up with a polished edge as from factory or not?

Many places ignore this and spray the lot silver, which looks a little wrong IMHO...

Comment

On the speedlines refurb, do you know if will you end up with a polished edge as from factory or not?

Many places ignore this and spray the lot silver, which looks a little wrong IMHO...
            I'm doing them myself and have decided to try for as cheap as possible.
            Here's what I'm working with!.......anything will be an improvement!

Yes to the polished edge but where the rivits go in, this bit will be painted......I think the section around the wheel where the rivits sit WAS polished from the factory?

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
              I think the section around the wheel where the rivits sit WAS polished from the factory?
              They were, this was my unused spare wheel i had.

96 URS6 plus speck saloon
              96 URS6 plus speck estate
              94 2.6 80 Avant
              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Yup exactly, to do a 'proper job' means removing all the rivets.. of which on the later wheels are plastic

Your wheel must have been refurbed before, and they took a pragmatic view on it, paint the rivets, but leave the rim polished and lacquered. A butcher would have sprayed the whole lot silver and forgot about the polished edge entirely.

Yours aren't that bad at all to be honest, not compared to what else I have seen, including my old ones. I was very lucky in being able to buy 5 new/very unused wheels from Germany for not a lot, so they are as factory at the moment at least, with no corrosion

Comment

They look like they would benefit from a blasting, some sort of soft media? Otherwise the corrosion will just live under whatever new paint you put on it...

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                    They were........

Yup exactly, to do a 'proper job' means removing all the rivets.. of which on the later wheels are plastic
                    They look like they would benefit from a blasting...
                    Aye, these rivets are plastic......on the plus side they're easy to drill out as opposed to metal type!
                    The wheels would benefit from blasting......but I'm doing it on the cheap!......so perseverance, patience (I'll need to find some!) and elbow grease will have to do.

Comment

You actually going to remove the rivets? If so props to you, I abandoned that idea when I saw how much stainless or chrome hex flange bolts would be!

Comment

You actually going to remove the rivets? If so props to you, I abandoned that idea when I saw how much stainless or chrome hex flange bolts would be!
                        Yes, done a set previously and got plastic rivets from California but this time I'm going for these e-bay ones......cheaper than the state side ones, I'll give them a go!
                        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-Chrom...3D122414894397

Here's a few before and after pics from last time.

Comment

Oh they do look good, nice work!

To get the 'spun' polished appearance, I was tempted to make up something with an electric drill and an old hub or similar, wheel bolted to it, drill driving the wheel, and then brown scotchbrite, but as I said, I abandoned the idea

Comment

To get the 'spun' polished appearance, I was tempted to make up something with an electric drill and an old hub or similar, wheel bolted to it, drill driving the wheel, and then brown scotchbrite, but as I said, I abandoned the idea
                            I was thinking similar but involved axle stands, 5th gear and 3000 rpm.......... but thought better of it!

When I've done these I'm contemplating spraying the whole lot with plasti-dip lacquer?

Comment

I also thought of plastidip, didn't get further, obviously, though I see no reason why it wouldn't work, assuming you have already lacquered them with regular stuff (so like factory).

My only reservation would be how easy it would be to clean, and whether when you come to remove it, it comes out of the bolt heads easily...?

Comment

I think you've just confirmed what I was thinking!.......think I'll give it a miss.

Also I was assuming you could get plasti-dip in clear lacquer but it seams not?

Comment

Working...
                                X