• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8vs are great... in a Golf!
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Yeah I actually really like my 8v, its just alot heavier than the golf! Still smooth and drives really well which I can appreciate on long journeys.

Comment

A Kent GS2 cam or similar in one of those makes a whole heap of difference to the feel, as does a de-cat. I managed 140+bhp out of my Golf mk.3 2.0 8v on the late Digifant injection, later injection systems (siemens, motronic) are better still. Obviously I had a few more toys but it was damned good fun and I still year after that engine for my current mk. 2 Golf. However, it was nowhere near as quick as an S2 in 4th, let alone lower gears. 280ftlbs at just under 2500rpm is as much power (approx 130bhp) as I was producing at 5500!
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
          Faheemo - I've seen your chips remember, and I wouldn't run them at all... You did get that PM didn't you ?

Paul
          @ Paul Got u PM
          Will Mail you bout that again.

S2 Coupe fully built.
          10.9 1/4mile 0-100 in 3.5secs
          Precision 6262 turbo
          The Green Monster

Comment

Originally posted by Robatron
            Yeah I actually really like my 8v, its just alot heavier than the golf! Still smooth and drives really well which I can appreciate on long journeys.
            I'm with you there Robotron, our 4 bangers ain't so bad. Enough torque to be comfortable, and not too bad on the jungle juice.

However, I've brought my Passat VR6 out of hibernation today - feels like cack off a stick Drinks like a fish when I'm gunning it though.

Obviously not quite the performance you S2 guys take for granted but I'm buzzin today nevertheless - VR6 induction roar is soooo addictive!

Back in the 8v tomorrow to relax. "Calm down, it's only a 4 pot "
            Nothing feels fast for long...
            sigpic

2000 Audi RS4 - Kingfisher Blue ~+~ 2004 Audi Allroad 2.5 Tdi - Ebony Black Pearl

Comment

i looooooove my vr6!!!! the sound is incredible....not that the 5 is all that bad either. there are tons of ways to get vr6 power out of the 8v and get it cheaply. many of my friends around here have gone the junkyard turbo route with a tdi manifold and used turbo (t3???) and made enough power to out accelerate my VR on the highway! they've done it for the miserly sum of around $1500 (canadian!) as well.

i'm sure the method would be valid in an audi too (might take some more planning for the plumbing tho)
              1993 UrS4...aka the rocket powered living room

Comment

Its a good way to do things on the cheap and get half decent results from an NA engine. Alot of people have supercharged VR's now and they are quick too!
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
                  Its a good way to do things on the cheap and get half decent results from an NA engine. Alot of people have supercharged VR's now and they are quick too!
                  oh yeah, i've thought long and hard about that but there are now turbo kits coming out that are cheaper and make more power and can make silly amounts if you try (a buddy of mine is building a mk3 jetta/vento that i'm guessing will have 400+ at the crank ).

when they are as well developed (fuel consumption etc...) as the established SC kits, i MAY jump on the idea...although with the rules around here, it would certainly be questionable logic!

biggest problem, and it seems to be the same situation here, is that once you get a taste of boost, you want more (i'm looking at all you 500+ hp lion tamers here ). for example, most of the people with the junkyard setup have now moved on to "proper" setups.

speed costs money and i'm cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by ottawa coupe
                    there are tons of ways to get vr6 power out of the 8v and get it cheaply. many of my friends around here have gone the junkyard turbo route with a tdi manifold and used turbo (t3???) and made enough power to out accelerate my VR on the highway! they've done it for the miserly sum of around $1500 (canadian!) as well.
                    I like the sounds of that. But at the end of the day I would rather have that extra cylinder and factory made power under my foot.

Do you have any more information regarding the TDi manifold and Turbo?

@Hiltoa: I know what you mean, I have access to a 528i and the power difference is incredible, you appreciate it that much more after having driven the four pot all week.

Comment

My big quandry is whether to add FI to the VR6 or save my money towards an S2 - bearing in mind the VR6 will always be hampered by FWD.

Common sense says save for the Audi, but my heart (and the sound of the VR6 at WOT through the Leeds tunnels) says ****** common sense.

Ok, I've put on my nomex ready for the flaming I deserve!

"Get thee back to the VWVortex you heathen!"
                      Nothing feels fast for long...
                      sigpic

2000 Audi RS4 - Kingfisher Blue ~+~ 2004 Audi Allroad 2.5 Tdi - Ebony Black Pearl

Comment

@ robatron

i'll pm you some info when i get a chance to talk to a buddy of mine who knows the stuff inside out. i recently was in a friends mk2 jetta running a 16v junkyard turbo setup. very impressive high speed acceleration even with 4 guys in it....and BOVs just sound cool :mischeif:

@hiltoa

dunno what i'd do if i were you....the choice is soooo much easier when S2s don't exist where you live and modding the coupe to the **** doesn't make a lot of sense when it's for winter use only.....

Comment

Working...
                        X