Mazda RX-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda RX-8

Came across an RX-8 the other night. I was hoping he was up for a bit of fun so I could see what it could do, but he was just pootling along at 65ish.

What I did notice sitting behind him was his headlights. It was like daylight in front of him! I've just ordered a set of HIDs from Martin and if they are half as good as the RX-8s then I'll be delighted!
    ex '93 Avant owner

I've seen 2 of these rolling along outside my office, and Ive heard that they're great cars to drive... But am I the only one who thinks that they're absolutely, totally ugly to look at?

Alps

Comment

A guy came in to my work on Saturday and got chatting about the RX8, He said it was a 1.3?!?!? Is this correct? I know the Rotary engine set-up is weird but surely it should be a larger capacity than that?
      Not too sure about the looks, I don't think they look bad.
      A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

One of the accountants has just got a black one! We call it the "Bat mobiele! where's robbin??? (cant spell i know! sorry!) Yup there a 1.3 and do two differnt out puts iam told a 230 one and about 180 i think! Iam also lead to belive the use a seperate oil tank which self mixes with the fuel for lubrication!
        Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

Are they going to be like the old RX7 and need and overhaul after 70ish k miles!
          Amazing what power can be obtained from a 1.3!
          A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Its a mazda! it'll have probably rotted through by the time is covered 70k! Or if not rotten then yeh, a overhall will be most probable no matter what crap they say!

1.3 - 230BHP = STRESS to me on any engine!
            Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

Although you cant get cheap tax on one as the dvla have classed it as a 2.5L. Boo Hoo:nana: . But if you think the S2 is complex it is quite austin metro in comparison to the rx-8. Have u seen a spark plug change on one:eek2: . Nice motor but really scary if it goes wrong.
              Graham
              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

So, if it's a 1.3 engine does it give out 120 MPG (or there-abouts!)

I considered buying an RX7 once (much better looking than the RX8), but having read up about all the problems linked to its ownership and maintenance I steered welll clear.

Plus, if an accountant has gone and got one it cant have much in the way of character, charisma, class, fun factor etc etc etc... can it! (please let there be no accts in here )

Mr John Smith

Comment

I personally think it looks pretty shocking, suicide doors are quite cool though but thats about it, ive seen that all the magazines love it, they do put oug a lot of bhp but rotary engines have ****** all torque:wacked:

Comment

they do put oug a lot of bhp but rotary engines have ****** all torque
                    Just read a bit about one in Evo last night that said roughly that.
                    The driver pulled out to overtake and found nothing special until it hit high revs. By that time he was just about to change up, so it seems to get the full 230bhp you have screw it up to 8200rpm.
                    Not my idea of fun.
                    ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

No the rotarys are crap on fuel consumption, and i am much happier with what i have got
                      Graham
                      Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by scouser_75
                        So, if it's a 1.3 engine does it give out 120 MPG (or there-abouts!)

I considered buying an RX7 once (much better looking than the RX8), but having read up about all the problems linked to its ownership and maintenance I steered welll clear.

Plus, if an accountant has gone and got one it cant have much in the way of character, charisma, class, fun factor etc etc etc... can it! (please let there be no accts in here )

Mr John Smith
                        well u found one, I'm in the Accountancy
                        But I know that I don't really enjoy my job and I'm the only one with a cool car so that figures

Anyway, I know Clarkson (Top Gear) really likes the Rx8 and the rev's go to 9000 so thats fun, I guess, hehe

greetz
                        *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
                        Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

well u found one, I'm in the Accountancy
                          But I know that I don't really enjoy my job and I'm the only one with a cool car so that figures

WOOPS!

But, as you said, you dont count cuz u do have a cool S2 (with a cool RS2 bumper ) So Zenith you are not a typical accountant - plus you actually admit you hate the job

If you knew what I did for a living you'd larf

Mr John Smith

Comment

Originally posted by scouser_75
                            WOOPS!

But, as you said, you dont count cuz u do have a cool S2 (with a cool RS2 bumper ) So Zenith you are not a typical accountant - plus you actually admit you hate the job

If you knew what I did for a living you'd larf

Mr John Smith
                            lol scouser
                            but u r making me very curious as to what you do for a living
                            *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
                            Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Originally posted by A6 AVANT
                              A guy came in to my work on Saturday and got chatting about the RX8, He said it was a 1.3?!?!? Is this correct? I know the Rotary engine set-up is weird but surely it should be a larger capacity than that?
                              Not too sure about the looks, I don't think they look bad.

Mazda says they are 1.3l but in "reality" its double that (2.6) because they japs say it is a 2 cycle engine, when in fact it is not. i read an article on the whole 1.3l thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X