Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K24R Catch Tanks - ABY S2 & RS2 - Now Available!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers for the explanation post

Is this literally plug any play then? I now understand roughly how it works, but am getting confused with this N80 issue.

Is this something we'd need to overcome ourselves or can you plug the kit in which gets around the problem?
    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

I am working on 2 plug and play solutions for Vent To Atmosphere (VTA) and Inlet Return (IR). The current kits can be fitted with some home brewed parts and a little knowledge of the breather, I just thought I'd post up early and get some interest while developing the complete kits so that people understand the kits and if they are happy with what's involved in fitting, they can buy the custom designed tank and finish the installation to their own standards.

The N80 is the only part of the breather system that causes problems in another area of the car. Firstly you have to leave the N80 valve plugged in otherwise the ECU gets a bit upset. Secondly, if you remove all the N80 pipe work and plug the pipe in the inlet then you have to sort the breather in the boot. Thirdly, if nothing is done to solve the issue then a catch tank effectively leaves the N80 open to free air and this acts as a small leak to the inlet, which is bad for idle.

You can sort the breather as TerryB and others (including myself) have done (information is contained in various threads on here) but I've found that for daily use you get the smell of petrol in or around the car on hot days and I'm not happy selling that solution to people who don't understand what is going on, fine if you make the choice yourself but I think I can offer a near OE solution. As a result I'm trying to retain the N80 and have identified ways of doing it for VTA and IR setups.

If you're running a VTA catch tank (i.e. with a filter on top) then you can leave the original pipework and just plug the end where the PCV valve goes, leaving the other end attached to the head. This is my proposed cheap solution and I'm having a bung machined at the mo, the same bung can be used to plug the inlet if removing all N80 pipework so it works either way .

The neater way is to sort custom return pipework to the original pipe that runs through the head and also sort a hose to run from the return pipe to the flame trap, which is attached to the original N80 pipework. Retaining the N80 and stock breather is a better solution for daily cars, although it does assume that all those pieces of 15 year old pipe are in good condition. I am trying to identify the best value options for this as there are lots of ways of achieving the same thing...

HTH
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Right, got my first batch of these through, here are some pictures showing the exterior and a depiction of the interior baffles:-
        Attached Files
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Here are pictures showing what you get in the Standard Kit, the hose and filter attatched to show how the connections work.

Black aeroquip hose and silver braided Aeroquip hose are used as they are designed for use in oil systems and so will not rot like hose pipe or silicon hose, stainless steel fasteners will maintain their appearance in the harsh enviroment of the engine bay, all good quality components that are designed for the job and will last
          Attached Files
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Pic of the tank installed in the car:-
            Attached Files
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

If anyone with a LHD car is interested then please get in touch, I need pics of the engine bay to see this design will fit or needs modifying.
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

i can send you pics, although i already bought a new tank for myself. but if you need photos to help you with the project,let me know

Comment

Sounds good, cheers
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                    If anyone with a LHD car is interested then please get in touch, I need pics of the engine bay to see this design will fit or needs modifying.
                    I would be interested to get involved.... catch tank is something I wanted to do...

LHD engine bay pics of my 3B, PM me your email address and I'll send something across...

Chris
                    Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                    S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                    '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Email is in my sig
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

These look lurvly, think i'll be having one when i've sorted my "lumpy" brakes out.
                        ATB

RAOUL

Comment

Email is in my sig
                          Email sent...

Let me know if you want different shots, details or a different angle... or measurements...!

Cheers

Chris

Comment

I've got pics of the ADU LHD enigne bay now (cheers VP) but there's nowhere near as much room. Might be able to do something off the PAS tank for the LHD versions
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I've got pics of the ADU LHD enigne bay now (cheers VP) but there's nowhere near as much room. Might be able to do something off the PAS tank for the LHD versions
                              Did you not see the pics I sent over? There is tons of room for a catch tank...

Chris

Comment

Just got them thanks Chris, there's a lot more room in your car as Vasillis has fitted the DV in that space. Also he has the airbox still in place.
                                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                                X