Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an Answer on this quick boys!!

Guys,

Have just spotted an old B reg Coupe GT for sale as a bit of a project (my second project car that I have now decided to do)

The question is:- How easy would it be to transform a FWD to 4WD or is it just not worth doing?

Cheers

Aaron
    Dark Grey Avant
    RS2 FARB
    Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
    Alloy Subframe Bushes

Please remeber guys that this is going to be stripped to the hilt so there is nothing left and then started again! This is the one I am going to track prep so I am only after a cheapo one as I don't want to spend alot on a decent car just to rip it to pieces.

I like the old GT shape and may even get the balls up to do a chassis chop (well get someone to do it for me) so the cheaper the better is what I am after.
    Dark Grey Avant
    RS2 FARB
    Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

hello

everyting is possible but the huge amount of money and time is a problem i think.

for this project, you would have to take a quattro-coupé-chassis und built it under your 2WD car.

for lots of pix you can look at www.audischrauber.de there you can see if and how this is possible.

nice week

Wolfgang
      S2 Coupe ABY
      S2 Sedan
      S6 20V Avant
      www.audis2.de

Comment

Which car have they done it to then?
        Dark Grey Avant
        RS2 FARB
        Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Cheers Wolfgang. Any other views????
          Dark Grey Avant
          RS2 FARB
          Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

an old audi 80 model 1976. this guy made a audi 80 modell 76 quattro out ouf an audi 80 quattro modell 1985. there are really enough pix on his homepage take a look at these.

the car is unbelieveable especially with the 16VT engine and ca. 300HP!
            S2 Coupe ABY
            S2 Sedan
            S6 20V Avant
            www.audis2.de

Comment

Right I have a choice now of two cars that I have found. Both of the same age.

1 - Project car -2.0L with rebuilt engine and a lot of new bits. FWD

2 - 2.2L 10V Knackered old thing that has been sat around for about 4yrs without an mot. Hasen't moved or been turned over etc. BUT IT IS QUATTRO.

Both are the GT shape of body. were these prone to major rust under the body and chassis as the wheel arch on the second one seems to have gone completley. The first has good body work.

Choices. Do I buy the front wheel and spend the time and money adapting it to a 2.2 turbo or do I take the second hope the underside is okay and adapt that to a 10V turbo????????????? Problem being the speedo in both only goes to 120mph I believe.

ANy pointers or what would you do's????
              Dark Grey Avant
              RS2 FARB
              Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Azman, go for the Quattro model. It will save you a ton of work
                S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

def go for the quattro,

is it for free by the way? because you can get gt's pretty cheap for one that inst completely fooked

Comment

Originally posted by Audi Parts Guru
                    Azman, go for the Quattro model. It will save you a ton of work
                    I'll second that. Fitting an AWD transmission to a car that wasn't designed to be one in the first place is going to be a HUGE task...
                    Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

I think the original Quattro was a saloon floor pan modified so its nothing like the stanard coupe. I read a site before from a guy in the US who converted a Coupe to a CQ and he had to cut the entire floor out of it and weild in the floor from a 4000Q. In the end he said its not something he would advise anybody to do.
                      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

why dont you bry's 90 quattro strip it out and make it a track car ?

Comment

Cos I want a shortie!!!!!
                          Dark Grey Avant
                          RS2 FARB
                          Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Going to have a look at the quattro and check the chassis and floor pan out before I do anything. Need to check the state of it as I don't want a completely f****d one to start with.
                            Dark Grey Avant
                            RS2 FARB
                            Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Originally posted by Azman
                              Cos I want a shortie!!!!!
                              now you're talking sense

Comment

Working...
                              X