twin engine conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twin engine conversion

as the title says i'm thinking of doing another 5 cylinder engine in the back somewhere for the shorty ,not straight away maybe next year any help and info will be appreciated

Some people are never satisfied
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

its a drug mate can you imagine two 5 cylinders puting out 500 each?

Comment

2 is always better than one. Especially when girls are involved.(I bet no one will disagree on that one ).. but id also like to see a twin 20V coupe im sure that would be a first.
        91 S2 coupé - RIP
        98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

OH HELL!!!!! now thats gonna be a challenge, the only headache i can see is the gearbox or gear boxes and how they would be linked and cooling. I remember seeing an MTM audi tt with a couple of 1.8t engines 400hp each engine
          sigpic

Comment

vor sprung dorch technik as it says .progress through technology thats exactly what i'm trying to do .
            i already have another engine waiting to be strengthend .in the coming winter months i'll work it all out hopefully.

Comment

Here is a Corolla with 2 engines.
              Everything is possible....

http://www.efterz.com/video/DHKB-05/14.wmv

Søren S2
              Audi RS4 LO550

BTG 8:08

www.fredslunds.dk

Comment

Originally posted by Jon441cc
                OH HELL!!!!! now thats gonna be a challenge, the only headache i can see is the gearbox or gear boxes and how they would be linked and cooling. I remember seeing an MTM audi tt with a couple of 1.8t engines 400hp each engine
                that's easier than jamil is proposing surely because the TT would be drive by wire and i think you would have to have mechanical linkages for the 5 cylinder (don't shoot me if i'm wrong ) remember seeing a twin engined golf in MAX POWER years ago and that was mechanical linkages
                1. SHORT SHIFT KIT
                2. PORSCHE CAYENNE CALIPERS
                3. H & R SPRINGS
                4. BILSTEIN SHOXS
                5. NEW BUSHES AND HP2 STRUTS
                6. UPRATED HIGH OUTPUT COIL PACK
                7. ,3" turbo back s/s/ exhaust
                8. fmic fitted

Comment

yes thats the idea mechanical linkages .i need to have a clear head to think this one out .i know its not going to be easy but thats the beauty of it

Comment

Originally posted by SøernS2
                    Here is a Corolla with 2 engines.
                    Everything is possible....

http://www.efterz.com/video/DHKB-05/14.wmv

Søren S2
                    one ugly looking car but the idea is there

Comment

Well the car drives around 10.60 times so i guess it is ugly but fast. Has as Søren says to turbo charged I4 1.6 litre engines that produces around 350-400 hp each. They used the rear axel and everything from a rwd toyota mr2 and welded it on the corolla in the back. So one motor on the front axel and one on the rear axel.

/Jonas R.
                      Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

I was once thinking of doing this to a Peugot Coupe (406 Pinafarina one) with the 3.0L V6. I remember someone oiking 750BHP out of one and thought that would be great if there was anotherone in the boot (VEYRON EAT YOUR HEAT OUT) as a combined 1500BHP would be enoght to bait anything on the road today.
                        Dark Grey Avant
                        RS2 FARB
                        Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
                        Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

One downside to twin engines is extra weight.
                          Also do you have enough room in the back of your shorty for an extra engine?
                          As mentioned cooling can be a problem, as you've already moved the front radiator to the rear, there may be a lack of space. You'll need some extra openings cut out of the bodywork, to cool air, water and oil. Fuel tank location can be awkward too.

Mechanical linkages shouldn't be a problem. Will the gearboxes be 5 speed or 6? I'm not sure how the 6 speed selector works. If it's the usual pin that rotates slightly and moves in and out of the casing, then that's no worries. You just need to route a linkage back from the gear stick.

I was trying to get my head around the strain on the transmission. Would each FWD gearbox be assisted by the other. So each gearbox could handle more power than if it was being used on its own?
                          SS

Comment

Dare I say two high power motorcycle engines in somthing nice and light. Very easy to engineer and light iro 165 hp ea. Sound sweet at 12500 rpm.............
                            sigpic

Comment

why not just build it mid engined and 4wd with a whopper of a supercharged v8,maybe a well souped rs6 engine,you would have to use a transfer boxes or the like.. to get power to both axles though...

Comment

Working...
                              X