• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben's B4 AAN build

Happy New Year!
    My new year's resolution is to put this:

Into this:

After seeing my old '93 B4 Quattro at the local junkyard, having just sold my V8 swapped Coupe Quattro and missing my old 95 S6, I searched for a clean B4 that I could 20v swap.

I found one in Colorado - the cleanest unmolested B4 I've seen

with the quick addition of these:

I ended up with this:

So clean and salt/rust free!

Next I sourced an engine - wasn't sure whether to go AAN or 3B (we didn't get ABY over here) and ended up with an AAN that I've added a 3B intake setup for. The hope is to basically make a stock looking and feeling install that keeps Air Conditioning.

The AAN is a '92 engine that has been totally redone. The previous owner did quite a bit via a machine shop and never installed the engine.
    It has IE rods, new rings, all seals, 7A cams, ARP studs and is in really great shape.
    Also came with a Southbend Stage 3 Endurance clutch and a wagner exhaust manifold

I now have on order an EFR 6258 turbo along with a downpipe from EFI Express.
    Will run VEMS with ability to do E85. I have an AAN harness that I'll modify for the B4
    I have a radiator, all the shrouding and the AC condenser from a 7A engine that hopefully will work for this setup
    Sourced a 3B water manifold
    I have a 3B crossmember and intercooler on the way.

The first thing to deal with is the engine mounts. I have 5 cyl metal brackets cut out of the frame rails of a Coupe Quattro that I can weld in but I'm first going to try to use the B4 mounts. I have to believe you could make your own brackets to bolt to the engine block and hit the B4 mounts. I did that on the CQ V8 and it worked great.
    Here's Martin's I think:

I am keeping the Serpentine belt setup too and hope to be able to use the PS pump and AC compressor from the B4.

Before I start tearing into things, what am I missing? what should I be considering?

thanks
    1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
    1995 90
    2011 A4 Avant
    1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Nice update. If you have the aan running gear you could fit the Wagner style reverse intake from the start and cut down on the intake plumbing. I’m not sure if this retains the ac though.

Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I've been doing some digging and it looks like there are people who have AC and serpentine belts both. we'll see if I can make it work!
      1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
      1995 90
      2011 A4 Avant
      1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

Finally found someone with more screwdrivers than me!
        Great pics. Good luck.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Grillage View Post
          I've been doing some digging and it looks like there are people who have AC and serpentine belts both. we'll see if I can make it work!
          would be possible for you to post a link(s) what you've found ?

Comment

Quite a bit of work since the last post here.

Changed out the springs to lower the ride height:

Got all the parts from EFI Express and mocked up the engine:

Drove the car the 1100 Mile Roadtrip from Cincinnati to the Carlisle PA car show in May and then promptly pulled the engine.

Exhaust First

Then had a dirty engine bay to deal with:

And clean!:

I had mentioned that I hoped the B4 V6 engine mounts might work - They're really really close. with some 12mm spacers, the right side DOES work quite well. This is with the C4 bracket on the engine (not sure if they're different for the small chassis vs the C4):

the Left side didn't work at all with the C4 bracket but with the 7A small chassis bracket it's much closer. I think I'll still end up welding in the bracket on that side though.

Then this past weekend I pulled the dash and heater box so I can get to the harness and get everything wired up:

Moving along! Now on to the fun parts
            1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
            1995 90
            2011 A4 Avant
            1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

Nice progress. I did the same to mine 8 years ago. Pearl B4 also. if you need any advice let me know. Maybe I can still remember.

Comment

Just sent you a PM about how you're doing your wiring...have any advice or do you make your own harnesses to mate these setups together?!

Comment

good progress. I was reading through and wondered if you would do away with the separate waste gate with that turbo
                  Greg

Comment

Lots more progress since the last pics.

I got the motor mount situation figured out. Used the B4 mount on the right side with 12mm spacers. Then welded in the left side Coupe mount:

Got everything finally installed after sourcing some parts from you good people! No S2's over here as you know.

modified a S4 harness for VEMS

Ordered an exhaust for an RS2 that was remarkably inexpensive. Anyone use Jetex Before?

I got the 01E B5 S4 6 speed trans installed and found a b4 locking rear diff (code AZC) from your side of the ocean. we never got them here. I had to use a B5 S4 driveshaft too and build a little spacer for the carrier bearing to sit in the right spot:

Then the engine was in and here's where I sit now:

Still lots of tuning work to do - and need to connect the two parts of the exhaust.

Here's how it sounds now:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrlP08Eg7dw

Last edited by Grillage; 14 October 2018, 14:39.
                    1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
                    1995 90
                    2011 A4 Avant
                    1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

A massive amount of work over the summer! I bet its nice to hear the engine running at last.
                      Greg

Comment

Lot's of work Ben. Question, Where did you source the heat shield for the intake?

Comment

Do You have photo how looks engine from front in the car without bumper, intercooler and aux radiator ?

Comment

Originally posted by sailaz View Post
                            Do You have photo how looks engine from front in the car without bumper, intercooler and aux radiator ?
                            Here’s the best I could find- note the alternator isn’t attached in any of these but you can see it’s bracket in front of the radiator

1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed
                            1995 90
                            2011 A4 Avant
                            1990 CQ - V8 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Grillage View Post
                              Here’s the best I could find- note the alternator isn’t attached in any of these but you can see it’s bracket in front of the radiator
                              Thank You very much.
                              I see now that you didn't go with serpantine belt (AAN setup).......

Comment

Working...
                              X