No announcement yet.

Audi 80 b4 saloon - 1.8 20v turbo conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the tie rods were off someone moved the steering wheel. You centre by counting the total turns and half the number. I did see a guide here once.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Great, thanks. I’ll have a look over things and update!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ginge1111 View Post
        Great, thanks. I’ll have a look over things and update!!
        It should be evident at your tie rod adjusters. One will be much longer than the other.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Did the laser alignment include camber and castor?. With you removing the subframes, they don't always go back in the same position, they may not be square with the chassis but the wheels can still be aligned straight.
          With the steering wheel centred, if you imagine moving the road wheel on one side further forward, the steering arm will pull the road wheel inwards slightly, if the other side is pulled rearwards, it will push the road wheel out slightly, then you have to adjust the track rods to straighten the road wheels, this will mean that the steering arms will not push/pull the same on full lock as now one steering arm is longer and the other shorter. This also applies if the camber and/or castor is different each side.
          The play in the steering when turning left could be a top mount bearing nut that loosened slightly when tightening the top nut.
          1992 80 quattro 20vT

Comment

Once you have correctly centered your rack, make sure that your steering wheel/column is centred too.
            A previous genius screwed this up on my S2 at some stage and the indicators wouldn't cancel as they should after I make a turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginge1111 View Post
              Thanks a lot Steve! Appreciate the feedback ?
              Thanks everyone else for the feedback too ?

I’m based in London.

When are the next good shows I could come too?

Rob
              I have been looking for Audi Shows and it appears there are none! Audi's in the park is dead now too....
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
              X