No announcement yet.

Audi 80 b4 saloon - 1.8 20v turbo conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, just hoping to gather a few opinions. As mentioned above, i’ve chosen to use an AGU engine for my 80 swap. There’s two main reasons for this, the AGU is my preferred 1.&t lump and I also know the car so know it’s a goodun.

I know the 06a blocks have different mounts etc and some ancillaries will need looking at e.g. exhaust, intake routing but I’m happy to do some fabrication work to get the car to the spec I would like it.

That said, has anyone got any advice or comments on this approach? Starter motor is one thing I’m looking at how to sort, also the front mount.
    Many ideas or if anyone knows any tried and tested solutions would be most appreciated.

Im doing away with A/C so have the room both sides to fabricate some nice OEM looking mounts.

Also so planning to use most of the AGU components and modify where required.

So, any advice is most welcome.

Thanks all.

Comment

You’ll need a sump, pickup, manifolds etc off a longitudinal 06a,
      downpipe will point our the front of the car if you use the agu manifolds..

Comment

Hi all, sorry about the lack of updates.
        Both engines are now stripped and the 1.8t is being lined up for some mock engine mounts today, templates are built so just testing at the moment.
        AGU will then have an 06b sump, pick pipe, flywheel (lightened) and clutch fitted and full rebuild and service. It will then go off to have a custom exhaust manifold and down pipe made so it fits nicely.

Intake manifold is staying as it is, currently fits ok and the planned intake route suits this original AGU position nicely.

Wiring looms have been sent off to James at Dubforce for a refurb, merger and deletion of certain bits and bobs during a map as well as stage 1 upgrade (for now).

Meanwhile, all parts up the front e.g. suspension, steering are all coming off and are going to be sandblasted and powder coated.
        Some engine bay work will also start as I have found some rust which needs addressing.

Some advice I was hoping for though if anyone can help:

1) what would be the easiest or most suitable starter motor?

2) has anyone got any off the shelf ideas for the passenger side engine mounts before I go full self design, fabricate etc. Driver side and front mounts are sorted.

Thanks is in advance all.

Some pics too

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Nice project mate, hope it goes smoothly!
            Love the look of those wheels, do you mind if i ask what size they are and the tyres?
            Thanks!

Comment

Hi mate, thanks a lot! No problems, they’re Bola B12’s in 17” and 8j. Tyres are 215/45/17

Comment

Originally posted by Ginge1111 View Post

Some advice I was hoping for though if anyone can help:

1) what would be the easiest or most suitable starter motor?
                I put an AJL (180 bhp) from an A4 in my B3 2.0 AAD and used the 2.0 flywheel and starter motor, if that helps.

1992 80 quattro 20vT

Comment

Nice one, thanks. I’ll look into that!

Comment

I've put an aeb into an abk coupe. I just used the abk passenger mount

Comment

Originally posted by bluequattro View Post
                      I've put an aeb into an abk coupe. I just used the abk passenger mount
                      This is a transverse engine, bolt pattern don't lineup with ABK/AEB mount.
                      Last edited by M2ki; 23 June 2019, 20:51.
                      1989 Audi 80 Quattro
                      1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

Hi all,
                        sorry this thread hasn’t been updated in ages, been extremely busy!
                        The work on the car hasn’t stopped though, every spare minute between work, kids, weddings, birthdays is spent on the car
                        This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Hi all,
                          sorry this thread hasn’t been updated in ages, been extremely busy!
                          The work on the car hasn’t stopped though, every spare minute between work, kids, weddings, birthdays is spent on the car
                          This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Always a challenge when life takes over. Good luck with the project.
                            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Hi all,
                              Lots of progress recently.
                              Subframe, all suspension components, driveshafts, steering components have either been replaced or refurbished.
                              Bilstein B8 shocks and H&R springs all around are going on this week, Brembo brakes as standard at the rear and BMW E38 4 pot Brembo callipers up front with mk1 Focus RS 328mm discs.
                              Ultra Motorsport brake booster upgrade (ditched the bomb)!
                              Flywheel and clutch fitted and aligned.
                              Loom is fully built and half wired in now.
                              Engine is being levelled and mounted at the end of September, then off for a full mapping session.
                              During the engine rebuild I’ve added the below:
                              440cc Bosch injectors
                              RamAir Custom FMIC
                              RamAir oversized cone filter
                              3” downpipe and straight through 2.5” exhaust
                              TTE280 turbo
                              044 Bosch in line pump
                              3” MAF
                              All pipe work now silicone
                              NGK’s
                              PCV delete and catch can added
                              Plus a full rebuild, new everything basically!

Aiming for a nice and reliable 240-270 bhp (fingers crossed).

The car should be fully up and running by November 2nd, but straight back into storage for the winter for some fine tuning!

Heres some pics!
                              Last edited by Ginge1111; 3 September 2019, 23:38.

Comment

This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X