My Ocianic Blue Ur restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Ocianic Blue Ur restoration

I must be bonkers, but here we go again.

The S2 is safely tucked up for the winter, almost done (just paint to go) so I thought it was about time to start on my 1986 Wr Ur.

For those of you who didn't see my previous threads on this car, I bought her back in June. I saw the car advertised on the web. The owner was a retired businessman who had owned the car for nearly 7 years. He was a Quattro Owners Club member and stated the car had been maintained regardless of cost. It looked very good in the pictures so I jumped quickly on the phone and we had a long conversation about the car. The only problem was that he was near Glasgow and I'm in west Wales. Having been let down previously on another Ur (another long story), I wasn't going to take any chances and agreed to buy the car there and then. I transferred a deposit and booked my flight to Glasgow. A few days later the gent kindly met me at the airport and I had my first proper look at the car .

To say I was disappointed was an understatement. The door bottoms were rotten, the coolant bottle had oil in it, there was a substantial oil leak, the lights were rusty and it looked rather rusty underneath as well. On the plus side, the interior did look good and the rest of the car seemed ok. In hindsight, I should really have caught the next flight home and carried on looking for a better one, but you know how your heart often rules over your head. I managed to convince myself it was a worthy project and the deal was completed. I headed south for the long drive back to Wales.

There were a few scary moments. In North Wales, there was an accident and the road was closed. I crawled along in slow moving traffic, the temp gauge rose, fan on, off, on, off -would she overheat? Thankfully the traffic cleared and all was well. After some 9 hours driving with only a short stop for fuel and a coffee, I made it home safely.

So, I spent a few months just driving her occasionally whilst I was completing the S2 and actually she drives quite nicely. I think the oil in the coolant bottle was from a previous head gasket problem. I have a large file of documents from the previous owner and it shows a recondition head was fitted recently. I guess they just didn't clean out the system properly after the work. The oil leak was traced to the rocker cover gasket. I also traced and spoke to the owner prior to the vendor. He is on here and confirmed that the engine was fully rebuilt under his ownership.

I've been putting the project off whilst I finished sorting my garage. I really didn't want to crawl under a car on axle stands again and decided to treat myself to a lift. It was ordered way back and took months to come (guy was moving house), but now its here, I'm chuffed to bits. I also had a steel bench made to fit the back wall of my garage. This gives me a good work surface and room to store my stuff.

So, here we go. This isn't going to be as quick as the last one. I'm taking my time, going to savour the moment so to speak. Plus, my back is f***** after the last one so I need to take it easy. I'm going to strip back to the shell and see how bad things are. Hopefully, I will be able to do most things myself. Sandblasting and powder coating will go to a local guy and fabrication to a local shop. Everything else
    Last edited by Tractor Dave; 11 November 2019, 21:10.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

The drive home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Back at base

Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

My new toy

Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

First proper look underneath

Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Seats out and finally made a start

Treated with leather balm and stowed away in the garage loft. Hopefully not for too long.

Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

As with your last project, I look forward to reading about your progress throughout the winter months and beyond.
              I wish I had a workshop.

Comment

The mighty bench

It weighs a ton
                Thanks Nuvo - Glad you enjoy. Took me ages to get my first workshop. You will get there.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I loved your last project and will certainly watch this one with interest! Am sorting my S2 Coupe out in March next year busy gathering parts for it! Good luck with the UR

Comment

Will this thread make the same post counts as the last? if it does, it could mean you are either having fun or, having a nightmare but either way, I'm tuned in!

Loving the lift as well. So many times, I've contemplated one but I would need to lift the flat roof of my garage to get it in and that requires planning and a wedge of money.

Comment

Gonna be another great restoration im sure. You have a very nice setup to work from now too.
                      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Thanks guys. Your comments really help.

Spent the day in the garage today. Made some progress, seats out and stored plus made a good start on the dash.

Found some hidden rust and a few bodges.

Where is the plastic?

And the steering cowl had been glued using super glue. It had melted the wire insulation and the wire was stuck inside the cover!

Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I found some lost coins under the carpet

As well as an iffy repair

The carpet is out

The wires were a mess

I’ve removed the 2 10mm nuts from the bulkhead and the two by the windscreen pillars but the upper dash still won’t come out. Do I need to remove all the vent pipes first?
                          Also. I have a very nice Nardi sport steering wheel to fit but it has a different boss. Can I swap them over or do I need to do something else?

Also found this on the drivers door. Some sort of electrical device for the door lock.

Last edited by Tractor Dave; 14 November 2019, 18:45.
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Spal make car alarms I suspect it's an electronic door lock actuator in place of the vac controlled factory unit

Comment

Steering wheel bosses you can swap easily. About the dash it is usually done with a bit force.

Comment

Working...
                              X