S2 from ashes by Vardan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 from ashes by Vardan

Before I begin, let me introduce my car, and a small background.
    It's a 1991 Audi S2 Coupe,
    Engine 3B, 220hp,
    Color - laser red (Y3H), black leather interior with manually adjustable front heated seats, cream pillar trims and headliner, electric glass sunroof, airbag, procon-ten and basically everything stock.

Here's why I named the project "S2 from ashes"
    Since the car had been abused too much by the previous owners, been neglected and parked on the street with broken rear quarter window, facing winds and rains, the name speaks for itself.

I bought the car back in 2015 and took it home. It could start and roll on its own, but as the car had been sitting for years and had no license plates, I opted for a tow truck and took it home. And yeah, it was my first car and a long time project coming.
    Audi S2 on tow truck

​Taking the car to its new home

Later on I rented a garage and started an in-depth investigation.
    There was no turbocharger, no intercooler (basically running as a naturally aspirated engine), and fuel tank had been replaced by a CNG system, but with an oxygen tank. 20150906_171458.jpg

Rocker panels had been repaired, very poorly, which ended up rotting. Same with the driver side footwell. Water leaking through windshield seals or from the bottom of it (or the heater core, don't know yet). Most of the long-time S2 owners know this issue. Instead of fixing it, previous owners cut the rusted floor pan on the footwell and welded in a new piece of mild sheet metal, again in very poor quality, without rust protection or anything. And the rust did its nasty job spreading out and eating healthy metal. 20161031_230612.jpg
    Little did I know what am I gonna go through.
    But I surely don't regret picking it. Moreover, I really enjoy working on this car no matter how much time and efforts needed.

Hello and Nice to hear your going to save it Last owner did not care about it one bit by the looks off it Lots off helpfull people and advice on the forum. Hope you find everthing you need. Good luck.

Comment

Welcome - no shortage of work!!
      1991 S2
      2003 RS6

Comment

All these S cars are long term projects glad you are saving it you will get all the help you need on here for sure

Comment

Brilliant stuff! More updates please!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Vardan, more updates for the people

For those who dont know, Vardan is also the guy re-producing the Audi emblems/badges for our cars. A generous and loving car enthusiast <3 10/10

I hope you'll get the rocker panel/sils ready soon more pics to the people!
            https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

Originally posted by larsaskogstad View Post
              Vardan, more updates for the people

For those who dont know, Vardan is also the guy re-producing the Audi emblems/badges for our cars. A generous and loving car enthusiast <3 10/10

I hope you'll get the rocker panel/sills ready soon more pics to the people!
              Hey my friend Lars, I haven't decided the format of the posting yet.
              Maybe I should write about my initial plans I had with the car and the parts I bought, and how I switched to dreaming of crazy power numbers? Ok, ok, will do.

I got very little progress on the actual car so far, that's why I'm being a lazy poster. But I guess I need to post stuff about parts, as the community is very helpful and can point me in the right direction

P.S. Thanks for your kind words Lars. Audi Emblems business is a locomotive which helps to me build the project, along with you of course

Comment

My initial plan was to rebuild the engine and make it a daily driver, limiting myself to 300hp. But then I started a research and the desire to make more power came along, so I decided to build a 500hp fast daily project. Maybe it was the sweet spot I should have stopped at. Who knows...
                But all of you know the greedy human type, right? I simply couldn't, that's why I suffer now

The year was 2016 and the engine was out for a full rebuild.
                We had assembled the engine block with JE forged pistons and Chinese h-beam conrods from Maxspeedingrods.
                Some photos for you guys.

2.jpg
                6.jpg

3.jpg
                7.jpg
                9.jpg

The 3B engine was refreshed, everything staying in their places. No porting, no new valves or such...
                3841_p_2_imagec64b194f18696c9252ab40fa35780d29.jpg

Valve cover had a serious crack, filled with silicone. Cleaned it thoroughly and took it to the argon welder to fix it.

3841_p_3_image2e55e7e90a336285b92f0d5461db22d3.jpg

3841_p_4_image93ca853cef01494d91db68c2df3dfea0.jpg

Some other parts were cleaned with rough metal brush, too. But a throwback look now, and they definitely need a better cleaning.

A drive-by-wire conversion will follow later on this guy.
                3841_p_5_image15db4685a6bd0930456f942306494317.jpg

Ordered a new oil pump as the gears in mine were already a bit loose and worn out. This Chinese copycat came, which I returned back and got replacement oil pump from Valeo (which I guess is again made in China? Can anyone confirm?).

Don't want to risk damaging the engine. The plans of course changed as the fuel cut will be set at 8000-8200 RPM so this pump won't be sufficient. Will be ordering billet oil pump gears from Sweden, as a cheaper alternative to drysump system.

17820505_10212065778015540_1469652466_o.jpg

And then the new 184mm (7.25") Tilton twin plate clutch arrived, which I had bought according to my mechanic's approval.
                At this point I lacked basic knowledge of how it's going to be set up, tuned, timed and which turbo to get, even basic compatibility questions weren't raised.
                The mechanic was sure that building the engine is enough for the task, since his Honda Civic EG was done in a similar manner.

IMG_2351.JPG

So when the clutch arrived, he told me it wouldn't fit my stock 3B flywheel. And how the heck should I had known that? Seriously?

Next, I rented a garage, took the car back home later that year and started buying parts for more powerful build. /of course parting ways with the mechanic.
                The project stopped for the next couple of years. Plus, personal life events happened. No time and budget could be allocated for the poor S2.

I resumed the project in 2019 and when I got some free time, I visited the garage to do a bit of work on it just to see it's moving. It gives me energy and will to move on.
                Stripped the car and found new rust spots. I knew sooner or later I should prepare the car for the total bodywork. Believe me the car needs it badly.

The driver floor pan and rocker panels were rotten, so I got rid of the rusty pan with the help of the Uncle Grinder, then cut the right side rocker panel (only the right one so far). Currently the car is not 100% stripped, but it's ready to be taken to the body shop, which I plan to do in spring 2023.
                Before that, I have a big list of parts to hoard.

Power level - the most challenging part.
                The plan is to get as much power as possible on pump gas to run low 10 seconds or even see 9 secs on 1/4 mile, while keeping the appearance as stock as possible. The aesthetics is important to me. I know it's very hard to achieve. But at least I know I'm trying. I guess the power will be 800-850 at the crank. This is a very broad topic for discussion. We'll see. The car will not be used as a daily driver, so there's one less limitation.

Engine-wise, I should state that this time the engine block will be disassembled and re-assembled with FCP X-beam connecting rods I already have.
                And here is a small list of parts or upgraded parts I have bought over those past years.

- Stock 3B crankshaft, will have to polish before re-assembly.
                - JE Pistons forged pistons 81mm, 8.5 compression ratio
                - FCP X-beam rods, 144mm,
                - Kolbenschmidt bearings for now, will see if I need to replace them with coated ACL ones. Give me a food for thought on this.
                - Hardened Timing Belt Cog/Gear from EFIExpress
                - Tommis billet adjustable Cam gear,
                - Camshafts Catcams 1002335,
                - Lighter hydraulic lifters,
                - Titanium valve spring retainers,
                - New valve seals,
                - ARP Head Studs
                - Supertech Inconel +0.5mm Exhaust Valves
                - Custom TIG-welded and ceramic coated stainless steel T4 exhaust manifold by Kavon Khashe +hardware
                - Intercooler. Threadstone TR1045, 860hp rated,
                - Wastegate Tial MVR 44mm,
                - Custom clutch kit with 60-2 trigger flywheel, double spring pressure plate to hold 800hp with shift cuts and launches.
                - ECUMaster EMU Black ECU, will do the coil conversion as I get my hands on this stage.

- TURBO? Need to decide. Options: BorgWarner EFR9180 or Garrett/Pulsar G35-1050 or alike.
                - Stock 5-speed ARV gearbox will be replaced by an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro manual gearbox (US Version) 01E FYF with shortening the propshaft by ~5cm to accommodate the length. Good is that the new transmission has the same 4.11 gear ratio as mine. I got custom made mounts for the tranny which will be primed and coated (mild steel problems).

The post turned out quite long, so I guess I'll continue in a new one.
                Feel free to comment and throw your advices, this is my first thread here
                Last edited by dawn_mist; 2 November 2022, 07:33.

Comment

Quite a project on your hands and alot of scope creep along the way. Looking forward to seeing the updates.
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                  X