Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Got B6's on my Coupe with standard springs feel lovely

Comment

The cars got 100K on the clock, and at 100K the suspension on any car will be way passed it's best. With the exception of the springs on older Audi's they do appear to last, the ones on my S2 were in excellent condition. Shame I could not say the same about the shocks. At 100K I would be replacing the shocks on any car if they are still the factory original. The ones on the TT looked ok, but once off the car you can tell they had failed. There was no rebound whatsoever and all the bushed except the the subframe ones that never move were split.

I've had a look at the backend and the springs on one side looks bent in on it's self slightly, and the shocks are rotting away nicely. All for the bin. That's if I ever get away from sorting out the frontend.

Comment

Rear springs are common for snapping and rear shocks rot well.

Comment

These are not snapped, just one side looks like it's been crushed slightly. It looks like one of the front ones snapped and was replaced with a KYB spring.

Comment

Cool, 100K isn't too bad at all for a car of this age, well under average anyway, but as you say the dampers will be well past their best.

Anyway, now you've cleaned out the engine as best you can it'll good for great many more miles... Though given how much carbon was on the cam cover I'd be inclined to do the first 100 miles with some cheaper oil and can of engine flush and take it fairly steady, then drop that out and change the oil and filter again with top grade stuff for extra piece of mind.

However knowing how thorougher you are I expect you were already thinking along those lines.
              1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
              1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
              1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
              1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                As usual, nice work.
                I don't find you posts boring at all. Love em
                +1 ^^

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                  Though given how much carbon was on the cam cover I'd be inclined to do the first 100 miles with some cheaper oil and can of engine flush and take it fairly steady, then drop that out and change the oil and filter again with top grade stuff for extra piece of mind.

However knowing how thorougher you are I expect you were already thinking along those lines.
                  My plan is to do a lot of rapid oil changes. Not decided on the interval. Was going to avoid the flush as I did not what a load of crud blocking the pick up pipe. I know the next oil change will be in the first 100 miles. Then I will see what the oil is like coming out of it and go from there.

Comment

New brake shields arrived yesterday, they are just patten parts as genuine ones are only available from tradition.
                    1-shield.jpg

Coating looked a little thin, so they were immediately coated with a massive amount of epoxy
                    2-epoxy.jpg

While I was painting the PAS pipes also got a thick coating, when it start it run it's the perfect amount
                    3-pas.jpg

4-pas.jpg
                    Also painted the clamps, brackets and inserts.
                    5-bits.jpg

The PAS pipe under the car also got painted yesterday, they were in much better condition but still had rust in some places.

Also some toys arrived. All nice and shiny.
                    7-parts.jpg 8-parts.jpg

Next on the list to to put back all the PAS pipes and and refill the system, then clean the back of the engine and gearbox that is coated in oil and clean up the down pipe before the subframe goes back in.

Comment

I do love Eibach springs, so much better than original Audi ones imo.

Comment

Had a full Eibach pro setup on my A6, it was night & day compared the Audi setup however it had seen 180K miles so it was all a bit tired, just like this TT.

So more progress on the TT over the last few days. Removed the leaking PAS pipe, no chance of repairing that.
                        1-pipe.jpg

It was also quite rusty, and would have taken a while to clean up
                        2-pipe.jpg

Painted the replacement PAS pipe.
                        3-pipe.jpg

Brakes came back from being blasted
                        4-brakes.jpg

Then were painted.
                        5-brakes.jpg

Once dry new seals were fitted. I also painted the pistons as the last ones were destroyed by rust.
                        6-brakes.jpg

However one of the seals was received damaged So won't get a replacement until Tuesday
                        1-seal.jpg

Drive shafts were rebuilt
                        7-shafts.jpg

Thankfully the solution of of the RS4 inner boots worked fine and they were identical to the TT boots, except they had the bit of metal attached to the boot that I chucked in the bin on the old ones!
                        8-1-boots.jpg

Also pulled out boot clamp plier, as the outer boot as the plastic type I torqued them to factory spec. Trying to use the hand ear clamps would just not have worked.
                        18-boot.jpg

Rebuilt the linkage. Was a lot easier removing the joints than fitting them. Had to push them in with the vice. Ball ends were painted with epoxy so they should not rust. Was also a complete sod to fill the plastic cup with grease.
                        8-linkage.jpg

Bushes were fitted to the bottom arms. Could really do with a third arm.
                        9-press.jpg
                        10-arms.jpg

Started to fit parts to the subframe so it could be fitted first thing in the morning, It was as this point I found one of the ARB brackets was missing. I checked all my images and could only see the one bracket that had been painted. Eventually found the other bracket in the tub that all the old buts & bolts were in.

****** Crustier than a porcupine backside. That's not been fitted to the car.
                        11-dam.jpg

So at 10pm in the evening the grinder was fired up.
                        12-grind.jpg

Followed by the compressor and a few minutes in the blasting cabinet

13-blast.jpg

Then a quick spray with epoxy. That was followed by 30 minutes in the oven at 50deg.
                        14-paint.jpg

While I had the spray gun out I also painted the middle section of these bolts. They react with the salt, water and the alloy of the mount and seize in place, you just end up snapping the head off the bolt when trying to remove them. Kind of like the pinch bolt of hell of the A4, A6 & A8 models.
                        15-bolt.jpg

Subframe assembled ready for fitment.
                        16-sub.jpg

Suspension was built up
                        17-sus.jpg

That was all built up on the Saturday ready to be fitted on the car today. Which I'm please to say most of it did. More on that later.
                        Last edited by B5NUT; 30 October 2022, 22:29.

Comment

Finally started bolting parts back on to the car.

Cleaned up the back of the engine where the cam cover had leaked all over it. Also cleaned up the near side driveshaft area where the boot had failed.
                          1-cleanup.jpg

Subframe ready to to bolt on to the car, really could have done with an extra pair of hands fitting this.
                          2-subframe.jpg

New nuts for the subframe and other important suspension parts. About £60 worth of bolts there
                          3-newbolts.jpg

Repaired the external temperature sensor mount by melting the plastic with the soldering iron and a bit of epoxy putty for extra strength. Would have just got a new one but they are NLA! It had snapped where the red line is.
                          4-bracket.jpg

had to get creative with the scissor jack, another job on the TT and extra hand would have been nice. Or Audi could have used a captive nut, like they did on the other bottom arm mount.

5-3hands.jpg

Shocks fitted
                          6-bigbits.jpg

brakes on one side was fitted along with the headlight levelling parts, now just waiting on the other seal which should be with me tomorrow. Also need the vibration spring on the front calliper. old ones are not in good condition.
                          7-complete.jpg
                          8-complete.jpg

Disks and pads are from Audi they are cheap enough form TPS. So I'm hoping by the end of the week I can get the car back on the ground and turn it around to sort the rear suspension out.

Comment

Very nice shiny parts. Not much of a banger anymore
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

You've not see the back yet

Comment

coming along nicely matey What is the epoxy paint you are using?
                                cheers
                                ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                                THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X