Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mr Simmond's G60 B3 80 quattro light weight experiment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newsh View Post
    Cool project Kit (y)
    I've seen the tar stuff removed with dry ice which looks to be easier and less smelly. I'd hate to drive a car with no sound deadening at all though, so much mechanical noise, I guess you can always wear earplugs..
    I used Dodo Mat and closed cell foam in the UR, lighter than original, more effective and doesn't absorb moisture.
    Yeah,I know what you mean regarding driving a car with no sound deading, however I'm prepaired to live with noise to save weight...

I'm hoping he exhausts system is loud enough to drown out some of the noise.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

ABY intercooler sorted, thanks Dave! Really very much appreciated.

Had a look at the pipe work yesterday and the S2 cross member and intercooler will fit really well so thats's sorted.

Comment

Now I've got fresh rubber for in the dry on the way, which I was really lucky to get,I just happened to type in the tyre size and the Dunlop track day rubber had only been listed for five min's. Considering a new set is nearly a grand they wouldn't hung around for long!

I've been looking at the condition of the the tyres on my steel rims for in the wet, whilst they're great tyres they are over 20 years old so by rights should be replaced as those are what I'll fit for an MOT. Again I got lucky on a pair of nearly new Kumho winter tyres last night for £45 the pair delivered which is a total bargain, just need to find another pair of snow and mud tyres now.

Comment

Not got a huge amount done as rushed of my feet sorting out Corrado parts, which is a good thing full time job. Especially compared to breaking a C4!

Found the original clocks as I put in 160mph V6 ones with Autocheck expecting a different gear box. The original ones are now on 145K and have functional mini check.

Andy10V gave a huge selection of random bushes that I need to spend some time identifying.

Looks like I have a set for forged front wishbone that I'm very tempted to sell... The forged wishbones with bushes that is as their now worth a fortune and it looks like I have a set for stock wishbones.

Also got a complete set for rear wishbones with the plastic washers so will be using them

Got various subframe bushes that I need to identify and finally I found the set Alex made for the inner tie rods.

I also have a tub with some more in I need to locate, I want to fully poly bush the car like my old S2 3B as that car handled amazing!

Have also purchased a very tidy set of the 15" flat face Ronals, currently sporting 205/60's which are way too big but the right size for my spare set of orginal 15" C4 rims. They're ET37 and 6" wide so am replacing the 205/60's with track day 195/50/15's which is a very common size.

Not to everyones taste but I happen to like them and they're bloody strong, got them for £80 and am awaiting their arrival. So I have a good selection of wheels and tyres sorted for the MOT and all weather conditions.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk
          Last edited by K Simmonds; 27 August 2023, 20:14.

Comment

Not terribly exciting but here's the set of Dunlop Road legal track 195/60/14's that are going on my BBS wheels. Total bargain for £100 delivered, looks like they've been used once.

And a pair of nearly new Kuhmo snow and mud tyres to go on my steels as one of the asymmetric rally tyres is damaged and it impossible to find another so went with these directionals for the front and will use the best two rally tyres for the back. The third will make a good spare.

The car now sit's about 2"'s higher due to the massive weight reduction so that give's me a lot more ground clearance. There's a load of really cool green lanes in my area so will be doing some off roading... Got a sheet of alloy to make a undertray/sump gaurd in stock.

I want the car to be as fun as posiable so a bit of light off roading will be cool, am also prepaired for any snow should we ever get any again.

The 15" Ronal's will also be shod with track day tyres and will be for hot summer use and perhaps the 1/4, as they gear it down slightly, the stock 15" size is 205/50/15 and I have a set of 4 195/50/15 Toyo 888's to go on them which I picked up for £40 which are they're local collection.

This is not a sensible project, the whole idea is budget fun, I'm just lucky to have a great G60 motor to go in.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk
            Last edited by K Simmonds; 27 August 2023, 20:27.

Comment

Your original flywheel should be flat and therefor ready to have redrilled to suit a 240mm clutch ?

Comment

The clutch is the only bit that's going to require some real thought. I wish to retain the G60 flywheel as it's very heavy and suits the power and torque of the engine, the Audi flywheel would simply bolt up but as you say the G60 flywheel can be modified easily to take an Audi clutch.

A good friend runs a machine shop so it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

I’m sure I tried a g60 flywheel on my 90q years ago when the original 1.8t a4 clutch gave up.. it was the wrong offset if I remember right.
                  ended up having to put the slipping clutch back in on the a4 dual mass flywheel..

so even if the g60 doesn’t work I know a b5 dual mass will and the clutch coped with 310ftlb, couldn’t launch off the clutch but you could pull away fast then slip the clutch and it would hold no problem ?

Comment

Sorry about the question mark, I’m using my phone and it was meant to be a thumbs up lol

Comment

I happen to have a b5 smfw and good clutch here
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                        I happen to have a b5 smfw and good clutch here
                        That maybe of interest Dave to keep things simple, do you know roughly what the flywheel weighs?

Comment

No. I would have to weigh it.
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

No worries, it must be quite heavy if it's replacing a duel mass.

Comment

Right just spit balling here as the say over the pond...

I have a good G60 engine with a new super charger in stock, so that's a nice as safe way to increase the power and torque.

However I've tested the compression on the existing 2.0 3A engine and it's like new. 11.5 bar on all cylinders, it has only done 145K with a full Audi service history... So I know it's in good condition and the 3A motor has strong rods and is generally consideried to be a very tough bottom end.

I've been browsing eBay as one does and those industurious little chaps in China are now making some very good cheap turbos, I've been reading up VW forums and people seem to be using the better one's with no problems at all for high boost and covering decent miles.

I've also been reading up on turbocharging NA engines and it's generally consideried to be safe to add upto 1 bar of boost on a healthy motor as long as you can chuck enough fuel in.

It's not so easy on car's with ECU's as they're only designed to see negative pressure, however K-Jet car's don't have an ECU so it's not an issue with them.

I worked out I could turbocharge the existing motor with very little outlay on a turbo and some other bit's and bobs like the stuff the to make an exhaust manifold and using parts I have such as an adjustable wategate and the ABY intercooler I'm getting from Dave now I've found I have an S2 cross member that needs very little work.

Tristan has a K-Jet Turbo Technics MK2 Scirroco which as far as I know as has no internal engine mod's, it simply runs a large old T3 with the boost controlled with the wastegate. No N75 or the like, very nice and simple so I can always have a look at that to see what they did, I have seen under the bonnet and it didn't look complicated. Though I would like to have another look to refesh my memory, I want to see how they managed to advance the ignition when on boost.

I have a selection of fuel metering heads from 16V GTI's as well as injectors that could add more fuel, Tristans car has a modified metering head to supply more fuel though they have a fair amount of adjustment anyway. I also have a mutitude of pipes and hoses left over from customers cars and stuff I've broken.

I've seen some set up's that simply switch the cold start injector on as soon as the boost gets above a couple of PSI and that seems to work.

I also have my Zetronix kit from my S2 so I could keep an eye on fueling and EGT's etc.

So I'm considering doing it as an experiment and if I blow the 2.0 engine up then I have the G60 motor as back up.

It would at least be fun.

Last edited by K Simmonds; 29 August 2023, 13:22.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                                Right just spit balling here as the say over the pond...

I have a good G60 engine with a new super charger in stock, so that's a nice as safe way to increase the power and torque.

However I've tested the compression on the existing 2.0 3A engine and it's like new. 11.5 bar on all cylinders, it has only done 145K with a full Audi service history... So I know it's in good condition and the 3A motor has strong rods and is generally consideried to be a very tough bottom end.

I've been browsing eBay as one does and those industurious little chaps in China are now making some very good cheap turbos, I've been reading up VW forums and people seem to be using the better one's with no problems at all for high boost and covering decent miles.

I've also been reading up on turbocharging NA engines and it's generally consideried to be safe to add upto 1 bar of boost on a healthy motor as long as you can chuck enough fuel in.

It's not so easy on car's with ECU's as they're only designed to see negative pressure, however K-Jet car's don't have an ECU so it's not an issue with them.

I worked out I could turbocharge the existing motor with very little outlay on a turbo and some other bit's and bobs like the stuff the to make an exhaust manifold and using parts I have such as an adjustable wategate and the ABY intercooler I'm getting from Dave now I've found I have an S2 cross member that needs very little work.

Tristan has a K-Jet Turbo Technics MK2 Scirroco which as far as I know as has no internal engine mod's, it simply runs a large old T3 with the boost controlled with the wastegate. No N75 or the like, very nice and simple so I can always have a look at that to see what they did, I have seen under the bonnet and it didn't look complicated. Though I would like to have another look to refesh my memory, I want to see how they managed to advance the ignition when on boost.

I have a selection of fuel metering heads from 16V GTI's as well as injectors that could add more fuel, Tristans car has a modified metering head to supply more fuel though they have a fair amount of adjustment anyway. I also have a mutitude of pipes and hoses left over from customers cars and stuff I've broken.

I've seen some set up's that simply switch the cold start injector on as soon as the boost gets above a couple of PSI and that seems to work.

I also have my Zetronix kit from my S2 so I could keep an eye on fueling and EGT's etc.

So I'm considering doing it as an experiment and if I blow the 2.0 engine up then I have the G60 motor as back up.

It would at least be fun.

That would be great fun, you could maybe use the MAC01 ignition ECU from a 10v Ur quattro which has a map sensor to measure boost. (Except only problem is the 2.0 is a 4 pot??)
                                Standard boost on Ur is just under 1Bar iirc. Full throttle enrichment is done by a microswitch on the TB which opens a vacuum valve applied to the FPR (Warmup Reg).

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X