Audi 80 competition resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi 80 competition resurrection

Finaly found some time to start my project topic.
    I had a few of rs2 and s2 but 5 years ago I decided to move forward away from old audis as wanted to have more free time and did want to have something modern and not spending more time repairing old car and hoping to get it perfect as it's impossible with an old car. A few years back wanted to get Audi s2 again. Prices have gone crazy and people want a lot of money for poor condition s2 and rs2 is almost impossible to get. So was one evenening looking some adds for spare audis and ran in a chassis of an Audi competition that was located near my place. Price was kinda high but Well I contacted the guy and a few days I was there looking at it. It was a project car that was abanded by the seller. He also wanted to move to newer cars. It was without suspension and almost no interior parts. Talked to the seller a few hours and made an offer to buy if for small money promissing that if will be inthe street one day again.

Gesendet von meinem CPH2371 mit Tapatalk

Nice. Keep it coming
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

A few days have passed before he wrote me a message if I can get it rolling he would arrange Transport of it to my place. Got my spare Set of suspension for s2 and a few days later a was there getting it ready to roll in it's own again. Spent half of the day doing it and I think it was the hottest summer day in the whole year. A week later it was at my Garage. Started to look what exactly was missing what was there and was wondering what will be the big plan for this competition chassis.
      Ac system was not from the factory and had some holes drilled in the firewall. Wiring was a mess and needed to get sorted. Wings toast. Und the car some rust that needed work. Some rust in the Inner wing with ended in a few rust holes und the sealan. Dashboar damaged and the airbox needed to be changen to the OEM unit. At this point I was wondering what should I do as getting all the competition parts will be hard as they are limited Edition. Im the 13th owner of this car and you can imagine it's not a colletors car. But I have good front and rear bumpers and it's also damage free oh the best Part it's Quattro.

Comment

After stripping Front Inner wings there was a big package of rust to Deal and some nasty holes to fix. The front of the firewall needed to be welded and some ideas came up with what it would be in the future engine wize. As the original engine and gearbox are hard to get and also Power is not so great I fought of buying or building a 5 inline engine. For this conversion I fought I will go and find all the s2 body parts that are different from 4 cilinder engine. Some of the parts included Radiator brackets are sold on audi tradition. Other parts like ac dryer bracket and ground cable bracket ware take out of a crashed rs2. This car had a tow hook and the rear bumper also needed some plastic repair. All in all car is OK just I think it's more I can handle myself as welding sandblasting and painting the engine bay is needed to make this car last for some years to come. Front hood was from. Audi b3 so needed also to get a b4 one. [IMG]

Comment

Looks a good base though.

Do you have a link to the engine brackets?

Comment

Originally posted by david1980 View Post
            Looks a good base though.

Do you have a link to the engine brackets?
            Sure. It's from audi 80 coupe b3 that only missing reinforcement.
            https://shops.audi.com/de_DE/web/tra...-893803029a-10

Comment

As for the engine there are few options to to look into. I was looking for a cheap aby block and head but the prices are getting funny so decided go go for Volvo 5 cilinder Diesel block that is the same one as in audi c4 aat. These Blocks are made also by Audi for Volvo. Aby Front damper is also needed as im going to need it for the ac compressor. Also got a sump with a baffle for aby engine. Also got myself a Diesel gearbox from Passat 3bg that has also 4.11 ratio. First gears are the same as s2 and they have wie first gear. Got also oil cooler from the uk but as usual the braket is rotten and there is no saving for them. Got one that is in OK state and send it to rg custom Design to replicate it from stainless. Gearbox brackets are from s2 Front subframe is from rs2. One thing that is almost impossible to get is the linkage. I think best solution for this is to get a4 b5 and get it modified so it will fit b4 chassis.i hope to get with this setup a fairly drivable street car. Aiming for 450hp. The Block itself and the head needs to be mashined to work together.

Comment

Is the gearbox a 5 or 6 speed?

Comment

Originally posted by david1980 View Post
                  Is the gearbox a 5 or 6 speed?
                  It's a six speed gearbox from Passat v6 tdi.

Comment

After looking into underseal i knew that it wont be an easy Job so needed to get all the exterior parts needed to get it ready for big underbody and paint Job. As the front wings wäre toast I dedided to go a bit special as some parts for competition are NLA. Fonds original rs2 mirrors sill covers door Strips. Got myself a competition spoiler but could not find Anywhere original raisers for them. Found some on ebay but the fitment is not so great so I think the body shop will have to put a lot of work to make them fit correctly. Rear bumper brakets are also nla so went with the 3d printed ones. Fitment is OK. Will be running rs2 crossmember with Wagner intercooler and stock intake manifold. A friendly forum member(thanks Dave) offered me rs2 spare tire Cover but it had a dent as the donor car had a crash. This will be sent out to get it replicated. At this point all the body parts are assembeld and the car is ready for the next step.

Comment

Nice
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Car had a long trip to Miami car house (also found in instagram) for some Sand blasting Party. The chassis Was striped and the whole engine bay needed some modifications for the 5 cilinder engine.

Comment

Some pictures of the Block modification

Last edited by rxl; 9 September 2023, 17:23.

Comment

That is really shaping up! Glad to see you back with the old Audi.

I started having flashbacks looking at that empty Karosserie! haha!

Comment

Some pictures of the underbody in progress

Last edited by rxl; 9 September 2023, 17:24.

Comment

Working...
                              X