Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
    ok understood,i supossed it
    We left the block in place but removed the cylinder head and sump to get to everything.
    The Red Baron
    (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
    Wagner Short Intake and Intercooler
    Whiteline, Custom Shocks with external reservoirs
    8pot calipers with A8 discs
    Vems

Comment

Just an update on what has happened to my project.
      I had a crash with the car at the http://www.speedfestival.co.za/. I took a long time to recover from the damage to my S2.

I bought a 3B to transplant all my mechanicals (easier than fixing the body), which I never got round to actually doing.

My fiance bought me an ABY S2 show car for my Birthday this year which a motor museum curator organised http://www.fmm.co.za/.

I now am not racing the S2s anymore but I love driving them daily

So now we have a His and Hers in Red as well
      Attached Files
      The Red Baron
      (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
      Vems

Comment

Are they gonna have matching upgrades too...
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Hi guys

I'm starting to gather all the parts necessary to mod the ABY.

I will be using my original engine which has:
          strengthened bottom end
          RS2 Head Gasket
          ADU Cams
          Mildly flowed and ported head
          Wagner short intake
          RS2 EM however I will change to T3 Wagner if need be
          3" decat exhaust
          VEMS

Now I have looked at the following turbo options and would like your views on them
          Volvo k24 7400
          GTX2876 ...is there a GTX2871
          PTE5558
          Or what do you recommend
          The Red Baron
          (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
          Vems

Comment

Look.at K26/27, gt3071, gt3076, gtx3071, kx500 to name a few.
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I forgot to mention that I have revised my power goal to under 400 maybe even 380HP to gain better street drivability.

I am using the car purely for street now and not events so a smaller turbo than the gt3071 I had before will be more suitable.

I am sure newer technology now must provide a quicker spooling turbo than the old RS2 turbo and offer better or similar power. Hope you guys can throw some light on what works on our cars.
              The Red Baron
              (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
              Vems

Comment

Originally posted by mastermind View Post
                I forgot to mention that I have revised my power goal to under 400 maybe even 380HP to gain better street drivability.

I am using the car purely for street now and not events so a smaller turbo than the gt3071 I had before will be more suitable.

I am sure newer technology now must provide a quicker spooling turbo than the old RS2 turbo and offer better or similar power. Hope you guys can throw some light on what works on our cars.
                Since you are running vems and have the option to play around with settings and hardware I would suggest you buy a GTX3071 with 0.63AR for your goals. Also buy the ADU cam pulley as well if you don't have it in order to take the full effect of the adu cams.

This setup with the rs2 manifold should give you a close to 3500rpm full boost on 3d gear and certainly 4xx power numbers.

You could go the other way and get a GTX2871 but my personal view is that the wheel diameter should be at the largest possible to have the same effect rather than getting the smaller wheel and then having to change all the turbo if its not enough. GTX3071 can always produce more on the larger hotside if need be which is not a costly upgrade.

My current setup with the HTA3076 on 0.63ar and mild head porting is around 470ish but comparing prices of buying a turbo from scratch, if I were to buy a turbo now to get to the same number and spool/lag I would get the 3071 instead.

Comment

I eventually got down to installing the VEMs as well as the custom shocks, Whiteline and RS2 FARB.
                  Boy did I miss throwing the S2 around round abouts. Now that I have it handling again like it should (well I still need to decide what I do about getting some neg camber), I got down to installing the VEMs with the help of a tuner her in Cape Town.

Idles bad, boost comes in too early but this is just the beginning. Pleases to say the MAF is removed(I'm not sure if there is a setting somewhere in VEMs to tell it there is no MAF). I'm decided to do all the setup using the stock S2 turbo. The next step is to install my forged engine and the 3071 with Siemens 630s and 044pump
                  The Red Baron
                  (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
                  Vems

Comment

Hi Guys
                    Just a check in after a long sabbatical
                    Hope everyone is keeping safe

The Red Baron lost ignition while driving over a year ago. We could not find the fault. Plugged the OEM ECU in and it says hall sender issue. Changed it 3 times to no avail.
                    So I put the Red Baron in storage and now decided to change the triggering to 60-2 and buy a more modern ECU.

Boy, have I discovered that the world has changed so much since the days Mihnea, Doug, Mark H and many many others gave good advice. The S2 forum has always been a great place where knowledge and experience is shared with people whose S2s are their hobby and passion.

However when it comes to the ECU, it’s a completely different world, the poor tuners are dead scared to give any advice or services, looks like they have bitten one too many times by unscrupulous people.

Anyway the world has moved on from simply buying a chip set for the Bosch ECU (life and choices was much simpler then).

I have a Motec in my EVO 9. Supplied by Simon Norris Designs which is a great plug and play ECU but this is not available for our old classic S2. I read a thread hear the other day about the ECU Master. Looks like it’s something I could consider, I reached out to Dimitri who is a dealer after reading a thread about this ECU, he has directed me to a reseller locally unfortunately they do not stock the plug in harness for their Black Edition, just their classic which will probably be suitable for my needs

Are there any other recommendations on a more modern plug and play ECU where I will be able to change the triggering to 60-2. This is to just make things simpler and easier to maintain in the future like I did by illuminating the MAF with the previous ECU.

The Red Baron
                    (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
                    Vems

Comment

MaxxECU seems to be a popular choice and there is a harness adapter for the I5.

https://www.maxxecu.com/products/race
                      Last edited by SteveH; 28 May 2021, 20:05.
                      91 Modded 3B
                      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                        MaxxECU seems to be a popular choice and their is a harness adapter for the I5.

https://www.maxxecu.com/products/race
                        Lets keep it in house!

https://www.ultraperformance.co.uk/maxxecu

sigpic
                        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Cheers Andy

Not listed but available to order is our own plug-in for the MaxxECU Race with complete factory function for the 3B/ABY/AAN inc knock control. Maybe you can port a picture of yours Andy?

We are not allowed to supply ECUs outside the UK (unless you do not have a dealer in your country), but we can supply our own plug-in adapter worldwide

We also have 60-2 rear main seal trigger kits in stock:

https://www.ultraperformance.co.uk/v...-main-seal-kit
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Just need PNP for a 4-port 7A now

MAFless of course.

Comment

Thnx Guys

I have ordered the ECUMaster today. I will build my own adaptor, will put my engineering qualification to the test. Found out there is good local support for the product and its gaining some market share in SA.

I'm going to build the 60-2 gear on the damper. Already invited to a premier classic hillclimb so looking forward to getting the Red Baron on track again.
                              The Red Baron
                              (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
                              Vems

Comment

Working...
                              X