No announcement yet.

(R)S2 coupe to 450HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic project, and great to see that my pioneering project with my Coupe was of some assistance

My 3B was always stalling at the lights, as if it couldn't catch the drop in revs. In the Avant that I've had the 3071 fitted too, I'm running an RS2 airbox - hasn't 100% cured it as the engine still struggles to catch the rev drop when you jump off the throttle but only on one occasion did it actually stall. That said I only saw 200 miles before it went bang... Is that what you're seeing or is it a more general idling issue?

Cheers,
    Ross
    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

i found this with the bigger turbo. i thik its due to the amount of air that is sucked in as soon as the turbo starts to spin up i think its basically overwelming the maf. remove the maf and its hunky dorey and a lot less restriction.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
        Fantastic project, and great to see that my pioneering project with my Coupe was of some assistance

... Is that what you're seeing or is it a more general idling issue?

Cheers,
        Ross
        Yep it definitely was a great help.

When at a standstill the car idles for about 30sec then suddenly leans out and dies, I'm not sure if the fuel relay is getting hot and going open circuit. There is definitely no fuel starvation problem when driving normally or under full boost
        The Red Baron
        (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
        Wagner Short Intake and Intercooler
        Whiteline, Custom Shocks with external reservoirs
        8pot calipers with A8 discs
        Vems

Comment

Originally posted by PapVas View Post
          when posting EGT readings it is wise to state the location as 5-10cm difference may have 60-100C difference!!!
          Thnx for the input mate.

The EGT probe is located on the blanking plate on the hot side of the turbo. I will take some photos on the weekend and post the positions.

It does go over 700 if driving at part throttle cruising on the freeway.
          The Red Baron
          (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
          Vems

Comment

how come you went with walbro rather than bosch 044 fuel pump?it seems much straight forward replacement for the fuel pump.

I dont know what i have done differently to avoid idle problems than other setups here on the forum.I cannot understand why this happens!

when you say blanking plate you means where the downpipe connects or where the EM connects?In either case it is pretty much the same place as mine.
            I must say then that i get hotter!!! hehe(lets see if cryogenics helps with crack endurance!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by PapVas View Post
              how come you went with walbro rather than bosch 044 fuel pump?it seems much straight forward replacement for the fuel pump.

when you say blanking plate you means where the downpipe connects or where the EM connects?In either case it is pretty much the same place as mine.
              Damn Bosch agents didnt have any of the in tank 044 pumps available.

Probe is where the down pipe connects. Went to see the guy today about my new down pipe and exhaust. He is busy with an RS2 Avant at the moment. He will build me a 76mm pipe with 1 silencer all the way to my back silencer box which has been changed.
              The Red Baron
              (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
              Vems

Comment

Today i checked again my EGT's just to make sure.Made some 3d gear red line runs.
                the results where 860C on WOT without water injection of course..

Then as was testing a new OEM wastegate spring trying to get it to reach the boost i was supposed to,i accidently overtighten the spring so i ended up getting 1.5bar of steady boost (instead of 1.3) so at that point the EGT was 900C (and 890 with a bit of WI).so i backed out.

going to make some more tests tomorrow hopefully!
                Vasilis

Comment

i had my german tuner buy the pump for me but i bought a second one from fiveomotorsports.com where i bought my injectors as well.They seem very good in shipping and prices

Comment

I had my down pipe and Silencers changed to a 3inch system. We dont require cats in SA so I just asked for a small free flow silencer in front and a similar one to replace the middle silencer. I had done the rear previously.

It is now boomy at 3000rpm, but has taken out the fluttering at 1.7bar peak boost and the engine revs nice and smoothly to red line.

The car is now good for 0-200km/h in just under 13sec. It really feels awesome.

We set the adjustable fuel pressure regulator to exactly 4bars and have had no problems with idling since.
                    The Red Baron
                    (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
                    Vems

Comment

Just an update on how the car is performing.

I hit the rev limitera few times broke the woodruff gear on the pulley and bent 10 ex valves. Replaced the valves with S1 valves, not sure if that was an improvement or not. Thnx to Faheemo I changed the pulley to those special ones he supplies so should have the woodruff problem again.

I changed from Konis to a custom made Nitrogen filled insert with proper control and the gas can be filled or discharged to change stiffness. It was quicker round the track than a supercharged Kleeman C55, so i was impressed.

FRC the tuners here in SA did a final tune to give me 262KW on the wheels and well over 500Nm on the wheels.
                      Not sure if this equates to my 450HP on the flywheel that I originally intended, but the car feels great on the road.
                      The Red Baron
                      (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
                      Vems

Comment

Gentleman, after just under 24months when I promised myself the mods were sufficient, I have taken delivery of:

1. Vem for Motronic
                        2. Meth kit
                        2. Wagner Short intake kit..(well its in the air crossing Africa atm)
                        3. New Turbo...(well not quite...coz I'm a bit greedy for more HP for the Hillclimb events I do and am not sure which one to buy)

This time I'm hoping for 500HP with good early enough spool, but my search for the miracle turbo goes on
                        Attached Files
                        The Red Baron
                        (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
                        Vems

Comment

Nice upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by mastermind View Post
                            Gentleman, after just under 24months when I promised myself the mods were sufficient, I have taken delivery of:

1. Vem for Motronic
                            2. Meth kit
                            2. Wagner Short intake kit..(well its in the air crossing Africa atm)
                            3. New Turbo...(well not quite...coz I'm a bit greedy for more HP for the Hillclimb events I do and am not sure which one to buy)

This time I'm hoping for 500HP with good early enough spool, but my search for the miracle turbo goes on
                            and after saw you work in it... do you know if is it possible to change the conrods opening the sump and with the engine in place 100% complete with the cylinder head too???
                            RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                            BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                            LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                              and after saw you work in it... do you know if is it possible to change the conrods opening the sump and with the engine in place 100% complete with the cylinder head too???
                              Is no way you can remove the safety springs from the pistons pins with all the things in place.
                              And even you succeed that..you canot remove the pins enough to let the rod come down.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirvu Eugen View Post
                                Is no way you can remove the safety springs from the pistons pins with all the things in place.
                                And even you succeed that..you canot remove the pins enough to let the rod come down.
                                ok understood,i supossed it
                                RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                                BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                                LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

Working...
                                X