Hi Guys and Dolls

I am upgrading my ABY S2 Coupe

This is whts on it:
    RS2 FIs
    RS2 IC
    RS2 Turbo (pity its only done 15 000km)
    RS2 EM
    Mihnea 350 HP ECU

I plan on changing the Head Gasket and upgrading to better Rods.
    This is what I have ordered:
    COMPLETE HEAD GASKET SET
    GASKET SET, LOWER END
    ABY TIMING BELT
    ARP HEAD STUD KIT
    ARP MAIN STUD BOLT & NUT & WASHER
    ARP MAIN STUD, AUDI I5, SHORT 95mm
    AUDI ARP MAIN STUD KIT
    RS2 HARDENED MAIN BEARING
    RS2 ROD BEARING SET
    SCAT 144MM RODS
    VALVE COVER GASKET
    OIL PAN GASKET
    CAM SENSOR
    RS2 WATERPUMP
    034 - 3071/KKK TURBO WITH INLET, OIL & COOLANT HOSES

Is there anything else I should add to this list while doing this particular job?
    I would appreciate any help I can get with this.

Cheers
    The Red Baron
    (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
    Wagner Short Intake and Intercooler
    Whiteline, Custom Shocks with external reservoirs
    8pot calipers with A8 discs
    Vems

I have added a 200l/hr fuel pump to this list and would prefer to add bigger injectors.

Can the rods be replaced with the Engine in place, in otherwords can the sump come off with the engine in place?
    The Red Baron
    (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
    Vems

Comment

Yes. The sump can be removed with the engine in place.
      Check Efini's thread here.

Don't forget decent washers to replace the ones that come with the ARP head studs, that is if they haven't updated their design. I think Sport quattro washers are recommended.
      SS

Comment

THnx drifter

Does any1 know which EGT gauge will work in place of the Voltmeter in the lower centre consel. I would prefer a VDO white face dial, if any one knows of one pls supply me with a P/No and/or supplier.
        I would also like to chnge the Voltmeter to a little digital one which I could find a place to mount somewhere in the dash.
        The Red Baron
        (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
        Vems

Comment

We have installed the conrods and new rings and honed the block.
          The car has done 110 000Km so internals were still in a very good condition.
          Attached Files
          The Red Baron
          (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
          Vems

Comment

I also had the head ported and purchased RS2 cams for it, thought the 7As may add more lag...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by mastermind; 14 June 2007, 16:43.
            The Red Baron
            (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
            Vems

Comment

The injectors and fuel pump are on their way.
              Hope to be ready early next week..Problem is..my tuner is off to GTI Int'l...
              Now I ask you whats more important...my car or GTI Int'l...the Lucky B*st*rd
              The Red Baron
              (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
              Vems

Comment

Well as always things took a little longer than expected.

Issues that needed sorting:
                1. Replaced the Bearings, Conrods and Rings. Used the new ARP Bolts. The Pistons were perfect ( the Bed Baron has only done 110 000km/ 70 000miles). No sign of detonation, looks like my witches brew of Toluene and NF Octane booster with our Lead replacement petrol was working.

2. The engine needed to be raised to prevent the Turbo touching the side of the chassis so we used a spacer below the engine mount.

3. the Wastegate flexi pipe is almost 10mm short as the Turbo moves forward due to the size difference. Used the lathe to trim the hot side of the turbo so it lines up exactly like the RS2 turbo, Javad said, use longer bolts and pull the flexi pipe closer to the waste gate....nah...looked like to much of a stretch to Geoff Mortimer my mechanic, good friend and driving instructor( Geoff was rally Champ in an S1)

4. I wanted a stock standard look, so Javad of 034 supplied the Maf to Turbo Pipe, in Red to match my Samcos and the positions of the holes on this pipe were not exactly the same as std, so little changes were needed. Also a few trims and reposition helped keep the RS2 Airbox in place as well. Javad supplies the kit with the oil and coolant pipes which kept everything looking tidy, except it was very difficult to run the braided hose behind the tapet cover so thats the only pipe that looks obviously different from standard.
                Attached Files
                The Red Baron
                (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
                Vems

Comment

we are going to start to run it in this weekend. I will use Mehnea's ECU and RS2 ijectors for this.

BTW: Geoff had a few other TURBO cars in the workshop:
                  Attached Files
                  The Red Baron
                  (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
                  Vems

Comment

yes excactly,this is why we custom made the lines and only used the oil feed from 034 motorsport line kit.It is more eficcient this way and plus,i didnt use the alloy brackets like the one that broke on rosses car immediatelly after they installed the kit.

you have done pretty much the same as i did!
                    very nice turn out
                    let me know if you need anything!

Comment

Besides the 850HP GTR, there was this 550HP one and a 450HP RS Cosworth.
                      Attached Files
                      The Red Baron
                      (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
                      Vems

Comment

Originally posted by PapVas View Post
                        yes excactly,this is why we custom made the lines and only used the oil feed from 034 motorsport line kit.It is more eficcient this way and plus,i didnt use the alloy brackets like the one that broke on rosses car immediatelly after they installed the kit.

you have done pretty much the same as i did!
                        very nice turn out
                        let me know if you need anything!
                        Thnx Mate
                        I asked Ross for advise and followed this thread http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=gt3071

which gave me the confidence to do the upgrade, although I started off by looking at Mihnea's KKK hybrid option, but it just bacame to difficult to strap the Guru down and to get all parts and info required.

Well Mihnea has given my tuner some advise so I'm hoping its going to be a great drivable car. Tuning will start once run in and Ive installed the new fuel pump and injectors.
                        The Red Baron
                        (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
                        Vems

Comment

Looks like there are alot of fun machines in the workshop. Did you get a spacer in the kit or just use a few washers?
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

we did excaclty the same as Ross for the GT3071R clearance.Scat rods and Mahle pistons were used and RS2 bearings all provided by 034.Cannot remember the torgue settings,the only thing i do remember is that trying to apply 97NM(or is 87NM cant remember excactly) of torgue on the ARP head bolts it is just madness!! My mechanic,having done this before,assured me that going with 80NM is enough for the ARP head bolts .

For the wastegate,we just build a different downpipe all the way so everything came to pieces nicely!

here a pic of my turbo to maf solution.Takes the dump valve out of the way too!I also like the position of the exit towards the dump valve which helps eliminate the factor 'blow maf wire out'!
                            Last edited by A80Avant; 29 August 2009, 21:21.

Comment

Greg, If you mean spacers for raising the engine, we made those up.

Papvas, we used 65footpound/93Nm as ARP suggests with the ARP lubricant on a 11mm bolt. Change of the Wasgate pipe into the Down pipe makes good sense. I will have to look at doing this some time.

Does any1 advise me on the difference would be with a larger diameter down pipe. In other words, is it worth the difference if I dont change the entire exhaust system. I currently have dual 63mm pipes into the original mid silencer then to a free flow rear silencer. I dont want boom or the car to be too loud inside. Any advvise on the downpipe will be greatly apprciated.

BTW the car is running in nicely, its done 200km since overhaul, I'm still using Mihneas RS2 ECU and RS2 injectors.
                              The Red Baron
                              (R)S2 spec, 034 GT3071
                              Vems

Comment

Working...
                              X