Mike's Avant upgrade thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
    600 nm is Rs2 torque, dual mass can handle it with decent sachs clutch but I wouldn't use an old dual mass flywheel with this power I would have replaced it as the rubber damping will give up the ghost sooner than later.

That's the real advantage of the single mass, fit and forget and not worry about it going boom
    Yes, I guess a SM would have been a better option, but I didn't have a SM and the engine needed to go back in unfortunately, so I decided to suck it and see with a DM! Its not like I will be doing 7K starts though so hopefully it will be fine for now.

Le Mans 2012
    Nurburgring 700
    1995 S2 Avant

Comment

Very true, I prefer the DM over the SM but I was forced down the SM route due to torque levels

Comment

Maybe with the Stroker when I do that then

Le Mans 2012
        Nurburgring 700
        1995 S2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by madpugger View Post
          Maybe with the Stroker when I do that then
          Geez strokers be as common as S8 alloys soon

Comment

Ahh, but in a Ur...

Le Mans 2012
            Nurburgring 700
            1995 S2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
              Geez strokers be as common as S8 alloys soon
              who's got s8's

Ahh, but in a Ur...
              Did you get steveyid's one then?

Comment

Can you take me for a run when its road ready again? I want to see how mine could be plus we can compare white cars!

Comment

looking good.

go the whole hog and map it yourself. we all know repo is an i5 expert but the biggest satisfaction is getting it going.

Comment

Originally posted by istoo View Post
                    Can you take me for a run when its road ready again? I want to see how mine could be plus we can compare white cars!
                    No worries mate, should be MOT'd this week

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                    looking good.

go the whole hog and map it yourself. we all know repo is an i5 expert but the biggest satisfaction is getting it going.
                    I will try get it running myself with the standard timing etc, but I have no clue about what to do with adjustable timing etc so will leave that to the pro's!

I got home from offshore on Wednesday night, left 20 mins later to go on the Crumball Rally and just got home again last night at around 23:30. Not had time to do any thread updates sorry, more will follow soon though

Le Mans 2012
                    Nurburgring 700
                    1995 S2 Avant

Comment

when you get to the time give me a shout.

ill try to lend a hand. as your setup is very similar im sure i can send a basemap or a timing and fuel chart to you.

basics needs are AF wideband and EGT.

Comment

No worries mate, should be MOT'd this week

I will try get it running myself with the standard timing etc, but I have no clue about what to do with adjustable timing etc so will leave that to the pro's!

I got home from offshore on Wednesday night, left 20 mins later to go on the Crumball Rally and just got home again last night at around 23:30. Not had time to do any thread updates sorry, more will follow soon though
                        Having seen the timing map of home based users vs tuners it's a wise call.

VE is the one I have no problem doing it myself and all other tables. Ignition is the one where you can really F up the engine.

Comment

ive seen many a map jamo and it depends on the tuner.

most tuners wont push the limits thats for sure.

dont fear the car or the mapping

Comment

It's the physical timing I am worried about!

Le Mans 2012
                            Nurburgring 700
                            1995 S2 Avant

Comment

setting the timing is fine.

best bet is buy a pnp vems. change the polarity of the 2nd crank VR sensor and your on it.

my config is similar.

stock block, skimmed pistons, scat rods
                              stock head.
                              wagner inlet and tubular exhaust, IC and xmember
                              vems
                              044 pump, 630cc pencils.
                              sc6152e stg 5 0.63 hotside.
                              3" system
                              vems egt/af

currently running 1.9bar or so. main boost from 4k onwards.

as for cams and timing there. i feel you and jamo are correct. its a dark art of secrets so repo will be able to help here lots. having said that stock aby cams will take it a long way. 7a ex cam gives a longer smoother power delivery.

Comment

It's been a while, so a quick update.

Been using the car a little since the engine rebuild. Got all the RS2 parts painted along with new wings etc. I just bought another S2 and an S4 which I am going to take a few parts from and sell on.

All the painting was done for free and in bits and bobs, not really ideal for a pearl colour to do this, but it beats having rusty bits! I think the whole thing will get painted soon anyway.

Here is a quick shot, just getting it ready for the ring on Sat. I have always hated the sidelights being where they are in the S2 headlight, so I wired up the ones in the Porsche fogs.

Le Mans 2012
                                Nurburgring 700
                                1995 S2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X