No announcement yet.

Mike's Avant upgrade thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking good...Mister ebony and ivory...

Comment

Wow, I really haven't updated this in a while!

As some of you are aware, the engine failed on the way to the 'ring in September, so there has been a lot of work getting done in the meantime repairing and upgrading things. Nothing has been 'finished' until now so thats why I have not updated much as I'd like to keep the thread as a how to rather than just 'its now got a...'

Anyway, I have taken loads of pictures etc with the thread in mind, so will be making new posts soon with pretty pictures ect So far I have rebuilt the engine with new rods and crank, fitted the Wagner IC and Reverse IM, EVO EM with the CT355 is also in, along with VEMS and a 3" system.

I got it running on motronic with the OE injectors after rebuilding, just to prove things worked, then plugged in VEMS and did the same before changing the fuel pump and injectors. I got it running again last night on the new injectors after bringing the Req Fuel WAY down on the new basemap. More on this in another post, but needless to say, I'm pretty chuffed that its going again! I can't wait to get it back on the road!

Le Mans 2012
      Nurburgring 700
      1995 S2 Avant

Comment

Great news, looking forward to hearing about the progress.
        91 S2 coupé - RIP
        98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Bosch 044 Fuel Pump fitment

OK so this has been covered before by lots of others but its still worth putting here.

Why 044? Simples, its been done before, proven, and really easy to do, sorta!

This guide is for the Avant, so remember it may be different for you coupe guys, having said that, you lot shouldn't need to upgrade the fuel pump as the coupe suspension is so poor compared to the Avant, you wouldn't want much more than standard power anyway RS2 guys, you won't need the fuel line from the pump to the top of the tank as you will already have it.

Part numbers are kindly provided by Ben HERE but for fullness I will add them here. Note prices may now be incorrect so are for a guide only!

Originally posted by s2avant View Post
          For the Avant/RS2:

Code:
          Part Number	Description		Retail	To you
          ------------------------------------------------------
          895 201 779 H	BASKET			 29.16 	 23.62 
          895 201 531 A	STRAINER		 30.39 	 25.53 
          N   013 812 8	WASHER (X2)		  0.24 	  0.19 EACH
          N   011 069 1	DOMED NUT		  2.31 	  1.77 
          8A0 201 351 M	FUEL LINE*		 19.47 	 17.33 BACK ORDER
          All prices are each and exc. VAT

*FUEL LINE is NOT needed for RS2.

Coupe:

Code:
          Part Number	Description		Retail	To you
          ------------------------------------------------------
          895 201 779 H	BASKET			 29.16 	 23.62 
          895 201 531 A	STRAINER		 30.39 	 25.53 
          N   013 812 8	WASHER (X2)		  0.24 	  0.19 EACH
          N   011 069 1	DOMED NUT		  2.31 	  1.77 
          N   903 307 01	BANJO			 32.75 	 25.05 BACK ORDER
          All prices are each and exc. VAT

HTH,

Ben

N 903 307 01
          First you need to find the pump. It is accessed through a hole in the boot floor. Lift the carpet and you will see a round piece of under carpet trim that can be pulled up. Remove the three screws on the plate below.

You will see the following. Note that my top is cracked round where the pump discharge pipe comes through. This is caused by corrosion I think as it was cracked before anything was moved. It will not cause it to leak any fuel under pressure but there may be a small leak when the tank is filled to the brim. I will get a new one as soon as I can, it is not a huge job to replace.

You need to unplug the electrical connector and the two hoses, then unscrew the large black retaining 'nut'. I did it as shown in the picture but you may find a better way.

Below you will see two electrical connectors and two hose fittings. The electrical connectors can only be orientated one way so don't worry about unplugging them! Also you will need to unplug the return pipe by unclipping it, it should just pull downwards, tuck it away into the tank for now. Finally disconnect the hose from the pump with I think a 15mm and 17mm spanner. I say finally, but you may need to do that one first to get to the others... Place the top and the rubber seal below out of the way. You will need the rubber seal out to get the basket out and in, it is that tight a fit!

The hard part is removing the pump basket, it is pretty well clipped in. You need to rotate it anti-clockwise to do this. I used a large screwdriver and a pry bar on two suitable points and levered it round. Don't worry too much if you break the basket, its not needed for your 044 anyway. Mine didn't break however Once you have turned it (it just needs to un-clip, not unscrew) lift it out the tank and put it somewhere safe to sell later

The 044 fits to the basket listed above, however, you need to modify the basket. I used a finger sander to modify mine. I took off about half an inch of material from the top edge to allow the pump to sit lower in the basket. Also the breather port and mesh need modifying as in the picture below. There is a ring round the outside of the inner basket that the pump slips into to stop this ring going down too far, so make sure you do not remove that. My pump suction sits around 1/4" (6mm) from the basket strainer.

I didn't realise this until I had refitted my pump, but the ABY wires are not long enough to be tiewrapped to the new RS2 hose so I made sure mine were out the way of the fuel sender float. However it would be better to extend these so they run with the pipe. The wires on the old pump have different size connectors to the 044, BUT the earth is the same size on both. On the OE pump, earth is the large pin (M5 I think) whereas on the 044 earth is the small pin! The OE + is the small connection with the green and yellow wire, the 044 is the large (M6) connection. The - is BROWN. (Yes forget everything you know about domestic electrics!). Also, do not fit the hose to the pump yet, you will have to do this after the pump is fitted.

I tie-wrapped my pump in, and made a groove in the breather to let it clip into with a small cutting disk.

Now fit your new pump! Slot it in and clip into place in a clockwise direction. Note there is a line on the tank recess and a couple of small notches on the basket that should show you the orientation.

Slide your new RS2 hose in and tighten it to the pump. Don't forget to fit the two copper washers. Fit the Rubber seal next, then the wires and hoses. If you have not already done so, or you decide to use the OE wire (with one of the ringlets replaced on the + green/yellow wire), tie wrap the wires to the RS2 hose in a way that will not impair the float, you can operate the float by hand to make sure while you hold the hoses in roughly the right place. The white plastic assembly can be slid back into the seal and the black threaded ring refitted. Once it is tight, refit your hoses and wires on the top. Don't overtighten the supply banjo bolt as there is nothing to stop the union turning other than the white plastic. Test for leaks and tighten some more if required.

No leaks? Nice one! Replace the cover and carpet pieces

Note some of the pictures are not uploaded yet but will be asap! Sorry, they were taken on my cousins phone as well as mine!
          Last edited by madpugger; 11 April 2011, 23:56.

Le Mans 2012
          Nurburgring 700
          1995 S2 Avant

Comment

ARP Head Washers - Too Small?

This has been discussed a few times on here, are the ARP head washers supplied in the kit too small? I'd say YES

Here are a few pictures of my head after a few hundred miles and the difference between ARP and Sport quattro head washers.

For info...

ARP size
            Outer diameter 19mm
            Inner diameter 11mm
            Thickness 3mm
            edit: - surface area = (pi * (9.5^2)) - (pi * (5.5^2)) = 188.495559 mm2

Audi washers p/n 035 103 377 12 off £1.03 each
            Outer diameter 22mm
            Inner diameter 11mm
            Thickness 4mm
            edit: - surface area = (pi * (11^2)) - (pi * (5.5^2)) = 285.099533 which is roughly 66% more than the ARP!

Last edited by madpugger; 15 April 2011, 11:27.

Le Mans 2012
            Nurburgring 700
            1995 S2 Avant

Comment

I'm thinking thats maybe why my headgasket went after only 4000 miles, i used the arp washers.

P.s. coupe on s4 bilstein/eibach coilover combo handels very nicely!
              91 S2 coupé - RIP
              98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
                I'm thinking thats maybe why my headgasket went after only 4000 miles, i used the arp washers.

P.s. coupe on s4 bilstein/eibach coilover combo handels very nicely!
                Joking aside, I have to say I am ULTRA impressed with the on track performance of the avant. At knockhill it was easily outbraking and out cornering a Lotus 211 (although he was driving like a d1ck!). The same on the Nurburgring GP circuit, passed an elise which was trying very hard to get away from me, and I only managed because I could corner faster - in the dry too. The braking is phenomenal (cue Irn-Bru advert being stuck in head!). It has so much adhesion under braking, I really think it would outbrake anything on a trackday! My mate had a passenger ride at knockhill and was sh1tting his pants at how late I was braking - I thought I was pussying out braking early until I saw him trying to put his foot through the bulkhead!

I had a B3 2.0 quattro as my first quattro, so thats basically a coupe underneath, it was mental fun on a wet roundabout. I could point it at the middle of a roundabout and keep it going round all day, tiny bit more lock and it straightened up. They same in snow, shove it sideways down a straight road then just tiny bit of lock and back she'd come. Shame it had no power though! So I guess the Coupe could be fun too

Le Mans 2012
                Nurburgring 700
                1995 S2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by madpugger View Post
                  Joking aside, I have to say I am ULTRA impressed with the on track performance of the avant. At knockhill it was easily outbraking and out cornering a Lotus 211 (although he was driving like a d1ck!). The same on the Nurburgring GP circuit, passed an elise which was trying very hard to get away from me, and I only managed because I could corner faster - in the dry too. The braking is phenomenal (cue Irn-Bru advert being stuck in head!). It has so much adhesion under braking, I really think it would outbrake anything on a trackday! My mate had a passenger ride at knockhill and was sh1tting his pants at how late I was braking - I thought I was pussying out braking early until I saw him trying to put his foot through the bulkhead!

I had a B3 2.0 quattro as my first quattro, so thats basically a coupe underneath, it was mental fun on a wet roundabout. I could point it at the middle of a roundabout and keep it going round all day, tiny bit more lock and it straightened up. They same in snow, shove it sideways down a straight road then just tiny bit of lock and back she'd come. Shame it had no power though! So I guess the Coupe could be fun too

Comment

can i ask how you found the clutch?.....i am currently a way behind you in my engine build but look to be heading in a similar direction....also how did you find the ct turbo??.....

the avant is looking grand!...

Mike

Comment

Get my PM?

Comment

Originally posted by europeanme View Post
                        can i ask how you found the clutch?.....i am currently a way behind you in my engine build but look to be heading in a similar direction....also how did you find the ct turbo??.....

the avant is looking grand!...

Mike
                        Wow I thought I had replied to this - must have read it at a bad time and forgot sorry!

The clutch is good, really REALLY good.

It is very very light on the pedal, lighter that the OE one I feel which is strange, yet it bites! It is very progressive, like a standard clutch, fine in traffic act, and yet has taken a few high RPM launches in the dry to test it, it has more balls than I do anyway...

As for the CT, well I have not really used it much so far, as the car really needs tuned by a pro. It is very strong right up to the red line, and spools really low down with the reverse IM. I will take a video soon and post it As far as drivability, its not so much a daily driver turbo, in that I tend to get from A to B faster in the 306 HDi than the S2 from day to day. Don't get me wrong, the S2 would be faster on any given road (apart form in a built up area maybe), but it just feels like you are being a hooligan in the S2!

I aim to do a proper writeup on both these things soon though, with pics and vids

Le Mans 2012
                        Nurburgring 700
                        1995 S2 Avant

Comment

It appears it has been rather a long time since I wrote on this thread. That is merely because it is a long time since I drove the car!

In the last two years, the timing belt went on a track day. Not long after that rebuild it ran the shells on the #1 big end on the way to the ring. That took forever to fix as I just did not have the time. That rebuild also incorporated fitting the CT355 and VEMS so progress was slowed due to that too. A trip to Le Mans just days after finishing it proved a success! Then the 'ring a couple of months after (Sep 2011) spelled disaster once more!

For those that don't know, I had a spark plug fail on the track, resulting shortly thereafter in a complete distraction of a bore and piston! I eventually got the car back from the AA (who were a little surprised I expected them to ship an 'Audi 80' home - they were told if they didn't I'd come and beat 7 shades of shote out of the dude no the phone! - but to be fair to them, once I explained to them it was an 'RS2' and the value they were very apologetic), it sat in the shed for months with no time to look at it once again.

HOWEVER...

I have now rebuilt a bottom end I got from a forum member and refitted the engine. All for now - fingers crossed - is going well with the run in and hopefully we will be at Le Mans again!

A couple of other little jobs, but ones that would be very time consuming without the help of the forum, have also been done, so a massive thanks again to those that helped with the cooling fan issue in particular. Some pics to follow!

Le Mans 2012
                          Nurburgring 700
                          1995 S2 Avant

Comment

Great avant you got there! Love the stance on it. Hope the last big issue is over for now, so you can enjoy your avant like a hooligan ( I get the same feeling last I drove mine)
                            Anders - S2 Avant Clubsport - 8pots or die!

sigpic

Comment

Get your engine mapped by a il5 expert and you will be happy with that turbo.

Comment

you were parked next to me yesterday (I had the new A6 LeMans avant beside you) looked around outside Ross's but have no idea what you looked like, but car looks well still. Look out for my 90 which is still alive and kicking! My urS4 went to a new hoime last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X