S4 into CQ-85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S4 into CQ-85

ok then. My AAN 20vt engine has arrived and so I thought I'd start a thread to help me 'check off' what I have and what I don't have for the conversion.. And thought it may also help others planing a similar conversion them self's.

Let me know If i've missed anything and i'll add it to/update the list.

I Have:

[x] AAN 20VT engine (from URS4) (from an auto)
    [x] ECU
    [x] loom
    [x] Harness
    [x] standard coil packs
    [x] standard inter-cooler
    [x] standard Turbo (hot side & cold side)
    [x] standard inlet manifold
    [x] standard exhaust manifold
    [x] 16 row Mocal oil cooler
    [x] MAF sensor
    [x] New engine mounts *
    [x] Custom UR 20valve flywheel *
    [x] Sachs performance clutch *
    [x] New master and slave cylinders *

Don't Have:

[ ] The slightest idea of what i'm doing

[ ] Needle roller bearing to put into the end of my crankshaft

[ ] 3B or custom down pipe to mate to Typ85-CQ exhaust
    [ ] complete set of turbo hoses
    [ ] uprated fuel pump

Also, I'm told the engine is from an auto. Will I need anything changing because of that, to fit this engine to my 5 speed manual CQ?

hope some of you can help. never done anything like this before.
    Last edited by MGaz; 10 April 2021, 00:26. Reason: UPDATED LIST OF COMPONENTS
    C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
    2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
    Schrick 272 cam
    C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
    ITG filter

Auto gearbox in original car doesn't matter. Only change needed is flywheel, and you would have changed that anyway right

Even slushbox version of ECU wouldn't matter that much.
    All quattro products have been dermatologically tested, and are safe for daily use.

Comment

If you are sticking with the standard typ-85 gearbox you will need

For starters....
      1 x UR (WR/MB) Flywheel and clutch
      1 x Needle roller bearing to put into the end of your crankshaft
      1 x 3B downpipe or custom made downpipe

Then due to space issues ideally you need to swap to aby....

The inlet manifold
      The rocker cover
      the dipstick
      the fuel rail
      the pcv system

and lots of other bits and pieces
      Audi Nut!!!

Comment

I know you have plenty of BTDT experience with these transplants, but why would the AAN IM need to be changed. This manifold is much sought after as an easy upgrade on a 3B/ABY and was one of the first things that was changed in my 390bhp upgrade.
        Many thanks
        Chris
        Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
        20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Good luck with the project, i see much research in your future

Out of interest what are your plans for the old 2.5 engine? I'm wondering if the bottom end could be used to fix my 7A, i.e build a normally aspirated 2.5 litre 20v :mischeif:
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by jogi730 View Post
            I know you have plenty of BTDT experience with these transplants, but why would the AAN IM need to be changed. This manifold is much sought after as an easy upgrade on a 3B/ABY and was one of the first things that was changed in my 390bhp upgrade.
            Many thanks
            Chris
            Don't get me wrong the AAN inlet manifold can be fitted but this then has further cost additions for other fabricated work.

Ie. Some type of front mount intercooler, Custom radiator / custom cooling fan
            and depending on if the car has abs the brake bomb would have to be relocated. The battery tray removal option would give you more space. I really dont think there is enough room between the front panel to run AAN belt and tensioner setup for the power steering without removal of the front panel. (But maybe someone will be along to prove me wrong.)
            Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gedu View Post
              Except for the 6400rpm rev limiter.
              http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Originally posted by Tonks4x4 View Post
                Don't get me wrong the AAN inlet manifold can be fitted but this then has further cost additions for other fabricated work.

and depending on if the car has abs the brake bomb would have to be relocated. The battery tray removal option would give you more space. I really dont think there is enough room between the front panel to run AAN belt and tensioner setup for the power steering without removal of the front panel. (But maybe someone will be along to prove me wrong.)
                Ah. Fair comment. I completely forgot I had to have a couple of custom rads made and a bracket fabricated to accomodate the power steering pump
                THe AAN IM is still a good mod if all these MINOR problems can be overcome
                Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

If you want a quick conversion dont go the AAN route,there are lots of things to overcome.Me being a sucker for punishment decided to do it,i am about 80% of the way there at present,still a few things to fabricate but think i might have it running within the next few weeks just need to keep finding time to work on it.Very happy with how its turned out so far,will ave to update my thread soon.

Comment

For starters....
                    Humm...
                    Would it be cheaper/easier to fit a 6 speed box? Rather than retro fit these items to my 5 speed?

The inlet manifold
                    The rocker cover
                    the dipstick
                    the fuel rail
                    the pcv system

Are you saying that the rocker cover is too big to fit under my bonnet? Or are you just saying that thos other things will need changing if I fitted the ABY inlet?
                    Last edited by MGaz; 26 August 2010, 01:08.

Schrick 272 cam
                    C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
                    ITG filter

Comment

BATTERY: I have a heavy duty Audio power cable running from my battery to my AMP in the boot, could I use this wire to work as a power cable instead for the cars electrics if I moved the battery in to the boot? A friend of mine has done this on his V6 converted Astra.

FYI my audio power cable has a thicker gauge than the + cable under the bonnet.

Will the battery be safe in the boot? what with the fuel tank being in there too?

Has anybody done this mod to a type 85 coupe before? How should I safely secure it?

Anyone got a link/pics?

Schrick 272 cam
                      C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
                      ITG filter

Comment

Humm...
                        Would it be cheaper/easier to fit a 6 speed box? Rather than retro fit these items to my 5 speed?
                        To use the 6 speed box;
                        1. you would need to use different CV joints on you shafts so that it matches the cups on the gearbox and has the smaller type splines on your hubs
                        2. use the slightly shorter propshaft as the 6 speed box is slightly longer.
                        3. you need a six speed box subframe as the gearbox mounts are at different heights or fabricate a packer to fill the gap.
                        4. You will need to alter either the tunnel in the car to suit the 6 speed linkage which after investigation if you ever get stopped and inspected at the DVLA it will be subject to the "BIVA" which means you car could end up on a Q plate due to monocoque body modification. or there is a way you can use another type of linkage and its some custom fabrication time.
                        5. You will need the different clutch hose so that it clears the linkage.
                        6. You don't really want to use the dual mass flywheel so swapping to a 3B or 7A flywheel and clutch would be advised.
                        7. The gearbox is torsen and the old box has vacuum operated diffs so there is some modification to sort the dash control.

Are you saying that the rocker cover is too big to fit under my bonnet? Or are you just saying that thos other things will need changing if I fitted the ABY inlet?
                        No the rocker cover is the correct size however if reverting back to the ABY inlet the boost intake pipe then runs down the drivers side of the head. It then fouls on the breather pipe that sticks out of the rocker cover which I have had no success in modifying to the 90° exit type of the ABY rocker cover.

BATTERY: I have a heavy duty Audio power cable running from my battery to my AMP in the boot, could I use this wire to work as a power cable instead for the cars electrics if I moved the battery in to the boot? A friend of mine has done this on his V6 converted Astra.

FYI my audio power cable has a thicker gauge than the + cable under the bonnet.

Will the battery be safe in the boot? what with the fuel tank being in there too?

Has anybody done this mod to a type 85 coupe before? How should I safely secure it?

Anyone got a link/pics?
                        As far as relocating the battery there is a couple of options.

1. Get a battery tray removed from an ABY coupe or a UR, cut and weld into position under the back seat just like the UR.
                        2. Buy a custom battery tray from the likes of Deamon tweeks
                        3. Fabricate your own tray and clamp in the boot.

I would not think that Audio power lead would be up to the Amp draw on the charging system, this could cause the cable to get hot possibly melt and then cause fire under your carpet. I would advise that a.) Use a power lead removed from an Avant or an ABY coupe if mounting under the back seat as these will be the correct rating for the charging system and already have the correct terminals on the end to plug into you fuse box.

Battery in the boot is a safe option and yes no effects on the fuel tank unless the tank is leaking and there is a chance of ignition by sparks.
                        Last edited by Tonks4x4; 26 August 2010, 09:41.
                        Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gedu View Post
                          Auto gearbox in original car doesn't matter. Only change needed is flywheel, and you would have changed that anyway right

For starters....

The inlet manifold
                          The rocker cover
                          the dipstick
                          the fuel rail
                          the pcv system

Can I simply use the flywheel from my KV engine?

Originally posted by prj View Post
                          Except for the 6400rpm rev limiter.
                          The ECU I have here, I'm not 100% sure if it came from an auto or not. is there a way to tell via markings? or part number or something?

Also, it is a superchipped ECU to 260bhp. Will that still have the restricted rev limit?

Schrick 272 cam
                          C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
                          ITG filter

Comment

Originally posted by MGaz View Post
                            The ECU I have here, I'm not 100% sure if it came from an auto or not. is there a way to tell via markings? or part number or something?
                            What's written on it?
                            551A? 551AA? 551B?
                            Also, it is a superchipped ECU to 260bhp. Will that still have the restricted rev limit?
                            Have heard a few stories about superchips not using the N75 valve to regulate boost, because they don't know how to alter the boost chip.
                            If you want I can send you two chips with correct limiter and proper remap.

PM me.
                            http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Can I simply use the flywheel from my KV engine?
                              The KV flywheel has no firing point sender pin for the engine sensors to pick up. If you could get it drilled and insert a pin into the correc position that would be ok. But then you need to hunt for a decent uprated clutch that will take the extra power...
                              Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X