No announcement yet.

80q => RS2 Saloon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice project too! will be following your thread !!
    S2 's and oldtimers

Comment

I've managed to put some time into this between other projects. I've got the headlining out to reupholster, at the same time I'm changing all the interior trim to black. I've painted all my existing trim which seems to have worked well, but time will tell how well it stands up to use. This is the first batch, I'm in the process of doing all the interior lights.

451A9A79-76E1-4D4E-9A8A-8C650FE2C146 by Matt4475, on Flickr

The make up mirror is broken and the sunvisors in general are difficult to know what to do with, I might try painting the driver's one and see how it turns out, my other thought is to have them upholstered in the headlinging fabric, I think finding a pair of RS2 ones is out of the question.

I've started to refurbish the rear brakes, the strip down took hours as someone had previously tried to remove the stainless plates by using a chisel on the bolts, I had to drill out 3 of them in the end. I'm in the process of bead blasting them, but it's very slow with only a 14cfm compressor. Until I've removed all the pistons I'm not quite sure what will be required.

5A41EB6B-1F5F-4A44-BD0D-7E79E19AB369 by Matt4475, on Flickr

The corrosion isn't too severe, but still needs some attention.

I got a pair of cast front arms that will be blasted and powder coated along with the front and rear hub carriers, I just need to get the bearings out of those.

9BF3572F-438C-4303-8480-BEFF1734F53B by Matt4475, on Flickr

I've also replaced the backing foam on my passenger door card, it was a horrible job to remove all the old foam, I then used a 3mm scrim foam on the back of the original material and then stuck that on the door panel. The driver's door is going the same way, but I'll leave it until the foam starts coming out!

3E60D6C5-FF21-4BF1-99F4-62841C4EA0B4 by Matt4475, on Flickr
      Last edited by 80Quattro; 12 July 2017, 11:04.
      92 Audi 80 Quattro => RS2 Saloon!
      98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
      63 Austin Mini Super Deluxe (turbocharged)
      69 Austin Mini Cooper
      71 MGB GT
      75 Daimler Vanden Plas 4.2L
      04 Kawasaki GPX250
      96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Grab handles and reading lights done,

7AC43377-4687-40F3-BD68-EC3245102C23 by Matt4475, on Flickr

I've also done the interior light, although I might buy a genuine one as they're only £20 or so, the sunroof switch is a more difficult one as they're £50 new and only ever fitted to the D11 V8 with black headlining, if I paint it the illumination won't work and that will annoy me!

AAF829B6-EBD9-4573-9106-57C4FEBFC264 by Matt4475, on Flickr

Otherwise it's just the sunvisors to deal with now.
        Last edited by 80Quattro; 12 July 2017, 11:05.
        98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
        69 Austin Mini Cooper
        71 MGB GT
        04 Kawasaki GPX250
        96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Nice, the doorcard came out great

Comment

Time to deal with the headlining!

A4CCEF26-B18E-47B2-8C56-99FEE58C6D3A by Matt4475, on Flickr

It took many hours just to get to that stage, it wasn't a bad job really, it's just how much has to be removed, especially with the sunroof. I would really have struggled without the workshop manual.

Most the foam came off with a wire brush

B7A05552-AA6D-4274-B0FB-8393C38583ED by Matt4475, on Flickr

The rest I steamed off until I had this

8789C1E0-CF54-4D87-B395-F009FE9E0505 by Matt4475, on Flickr

I don't have any pictures of the progress, but eventually I had this

E0F1694F-CC50-4C35-860C-85DCFD0833AA by Matt4475, on Flickr

It's not perfect, and I have to admit I really struggle with upholstery. The biggest issue I had was that the material doesn't have much stretch so it's very hard not to get creases, especially around the sunvisor recess.

No A-pillar trims unfortunately, mine broke when I removed them, and I've had no luck in finding any.
            Last edited by 80Quattro; 12 July 2017, 11:08.
            98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
            69 Austin Mini Cooper
            71 MGB GT
            04 Kawasaki GPX250
            96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

The headlining is in, wasn't too bad to now I know how the sunroof goes together, this is the best picture I could manage.

6586A635-0F25-45D8-A0C3-BCD8FC32A977 by Matt4475, on Flickr

I'm trying to sort out the steering wheel at the moment, I have this;

35B7310A-6293-4110-B9CE-68489E82F0D4 by Matt4475, on Flickr

and this;

21665BE6-BBF1-422F-BAE9-CBA69D5C755C by Matt4475, on Flickr

However, the horn push listed in the album is wrong, I've now sourced the correct part from Nardi, but it wasn't cheap!
              Last edited by 80Quattro; 12 July 2017, 11:12.
              98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
              69 Austin Mini Cooper
              71 MGB GT
              04 Kawasaki GPX250
              96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Great work . The headlining looks superb. I'm tempted to do similar with my 80.
                Have you any details on the sunroof panel removal ?

Are you still looking for an rs2 grille? Mark Midgeley is selling an excellent condition one ( includes the correct rings and base ) however a few clipsare missing for £250
                S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Thanks, I had to do my headlining as it was all coming away. Do you have ElsaWin? It describes how to remove the sunroof, there are a lot of steps to it which makes it a bit difficult to describe without pictures. If you don't have a guide, I will do my best to explain it.

I am still looking for a grille, but as all the parts are available from Tradition for not much more than used ones, I think I'll just buy new.

I'm still hoping someone will manufacture improved versions of the lower door trims, otherwise, I have all the major external body parts.
                  98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
                  69 Austin Mini Cooper
                  71 MGB GT
                  04 Kawasaki GPX250
                  96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Small update on the steering wheel, I have finally managed to get the horn to work, although I would still be very interested to see how the horn button should be earthed, I doubt the way I've done it is how it would be done by the factory, but it works and is completely as it should be in terms of looks and functionality.

Anyway, in short, if you buy an RS2 steering wheel without the horn push, even if it's really cheap, the cost and hassle of sourcing the correct parts makes it not worthwhile, also most the parts listed in the album are wrong and many are not listed at all.

Untitled by Matt4475, on Flickr
                    98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
                    69 Austin Mini Cooper
                    71 MGB GT
                    04 Kawasaki GPX250
                    96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

So let me get this straight- every 2 years you remind us and then you're gone? So like.. see you in 2019?

Jokes aside, you're even more patient than I think I am.
                      Look forward to seeing it complete.

Cheers
                      1994 UrS4 with RS2 turbo
                      1995 RS2 Avant Nogaro
                      1999 S4 2.7T Avant
                      2005 A3 3.2 q M daily 3dr
                      2007 C6S6 V10
                      2013 B8.5 allroad 2.0T for Mrs

Comment

Originally posted by quattro4sprung View Post
                        So let me get this straight- every 2 years you remind us and then you're gone? So like.. see you in 2019?

Jokes aside, you're even more patient than I think I am.
                        Look forward to seeing it complete.

Cheers
                        Pretty much, yes! I spend most my time in NZ driving tour coaches or trucks so I'm not back in the UK very often. However, with visas becoming more difficult and more expensive to get, it's been an excuse to spend more time in the UK this year than the previous 5.

I've made a lot of progress albeit mostly quite unexciting. The interior is now 95% done, I still need Recaros, black door triggers, the LH ones are now NLA and the 6 speed leather gear boot, same story. I've just ordered every bit of RS2 specific interior trim which is still available, which doesn't amount to much, but the cost was huge! That means I now have all the correct interior lights and switches, most of the plastics I spray painted will have to do as they are all NLA in black. I've got all the headlining covered in the correct brushed nylon black cloth, it looks really good for my first attempt. It's really hard to photograph, so I gave up trying to get a good picture with A pillars and sunvisors refitted.

I've had all the drivetrain for years, but although I had brake calipers, I was missing loads of brake parts. I've now got everything, but I need to get the suspension components shot blasted and painted before assembling it all. I've rebuilt the rear calipers and they are now in etch primer just waiting to be professionally sprayed once the fronts are done. I've got some very nice brackets to mount the front 996 Turbo calipers. I've also just ordered all the mounting hardware for the front and rear brakes which means there are only a handful of parts I still need. I have a set of Porsche Cup 3s which I still need to get machined to fit the hubs and tyres fitted. There's a lot of work, but really not a lot of parts I still need to have it fully rolling on RS2 running gear and brakes.

The 2 areas I've made little to no progress are the body and engine. I have a good ABY engine for rebuild, I've done very little to it and can't afford to. I have a list about 2 pages long of body parts I still need. I have a front and rear bumper, mirrors, middle door trims and sill covers, that's it, I'm a long way off. I need to source 4 good doors with the pins to attach the lower door trims, wings I will buy new, lower door trims are unobtainable and then there's a load of small, but collectively expensive parts needed to mount it all.

So that's a quite comprehensive summary of where I'm at. Unfortunately for the project, I start a 3-5 month contract in Canada on Monday. I might have some updates in spring!
                        98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
                        69 Austin Mini Cooper
                        71 MGB GT
                        04 Kawasaki GPX250
                        96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Originally posted by 80Quattro View Post

Pretty much, yes! I spend most my time in NZ driving tour coaches or trucks so I'm not back in the UK very often. However, with visas becoming more difficult and more expensive to get, it's been an excuse to spend more time in the UK this year than the previous 5.
                          +
                          Unfortunately for the project, I start a 3-5 month contract in Canada on Monday. I might have some updates in spring!
                          Officially mindblown
                          1994 UrS4 with RS2 turbo
                          1995 RS2 Avant Nogaro
                          1999 S4 2.7T Avant
                          2005 A3 3.2 q M daily 3dr
                          2007 C6S6 V10
                          2013 B8.5 allroad 2.0T for Mrs

Comment

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...irrors-replika

Comment

Originally posted by quattro4sprung View Post

Officially mindblown
                              I'm still in Canada, so not much to update.

I've got 3 doors, just need a driver's one now. Also got a genuine spoiler, undecided whether to keep the Hella one or use that, but I'm swayed towards genuine. I'm going to make a huge order from Tradition so I'll have every external body part I need and I'll be able to get everything sprayed (except under headlight trims which I've given up on finding). I need to weld in the 5 cyl engine and radiator mounts and the strut brace mounts. I think that's all that needs changing on the shell.

I've also got a complete climate control system to do the retrofit. I have the B5 A4 parts I need but unfortunately the ABY engine and wiring I have is for a non AC car so I need to find a donor. I have all the hoses except the long pipe that runs across the bulkhead, it's a challenging part to find. No success in finding any of the remaining interior parts either, I hope there is enough demand for Tradition to remanufacture the gear leaver gaiter at least.

I'll probably be back in late April so I'll look to get all the running gear shot blasted so I can start building that up.
                              98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
                              69 Austin Mini Cooper
                              71 MGB GT
                              04 Kawasaki GPX250
                              96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

I have genuine RHD mirrors, brackets and wiring already. If you manufacture the under headlight trims out of ABS plastic then I could be interested.
                                98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
                                69 Austin Mini Cooper
                                71 MGB GT
                                04 Kawasaki GPX250
                                96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Working...
                                X