Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AAN with stock pistons and head - Max power achievable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone tell me how much HP will handle stock 3B engine rods? Engine is stock but I'm going to run 440 cc injectors, RS2 fuel pump, turbo will stay KKK K26.

Comment

Originally posted by P.G. View Post
      Can someone tell me how much HP will handle stock 3B engine rods? Engine is stock but I'm going to run 440 cc injectors, RS2 fuel pump, turbo will stay KKK K26.

350whp-400whp... But it's torque that kills...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
      Last edited by mushasho!; 17 June 2014, 02:45.
      _Rubí_

Comment

Originally posted by P.G. View Post
        The engine rods are the same, and pistons, the people said 450 with ignition.
        Step 1: setup. <==
        Step 2: potentiation.
        Step 3: enjoy.

Comment

It isn't the hp that breaks stock pistons, it is the cylinder pressures, which are indicators of torque. I find the limit of stock pistons right around that 900NM mark crank, which amounts to roughly 550-600wtq. The ring lands struggle to stay crack free at those levels. Lots of Sweeds get away with lots of HP with big 67mm+ turbos, but they do not spool early enough to create the torque and cylinder pressures to make the stock pistons an issue.

I suppose the limit of the pistons for whp would be how high you can safely rev that heavy of a piston. I'd keep it under 8300 realistically, and a typical 3500 rpm powerband of any turbo puts that at ~4700, or roughly where a 6466 or 6262 makes power with cams. That would be roughly 750-800whp with a perfect setup on e85.
          1981 URQuattro with the TIAL GT35r.
          2007 Infinity g35

Comment

Whats the factory ring gap on these motors (ann)??? To tight of a ring gap will defenity cause stress on the ring lands especially when hot lapped.. Also im assuming the factory pistons have floating wrist pins, correct me if im wrong..

Comment

Soo, what is possible with stock pistons? Check this vid(and comment section):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuI_GadpXpQ

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
              Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
              BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
              BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Very impressive.. this is such a old thread, forgot I even posted it.

I ended up going 7A with throttle bodies which turned out to actually be a 2.0 NM.
                After catastrophic engine failure I decided to go all in..

83.00mm AAN with forged rods, pistons, supertech valvetrain, Arp everything with a Xona Rotor 6156 on a Iroz motorsport manifold. Engine is at the engineers now being assembled.

Comment

It's not torque that kills the piston and rods. It's knock / pre ignition or for the 3B: spark jump in the distributer cap.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewcoupe View Post
                    Very impressive.. this is such a old thread, forgot I even posted it.

I ended up going 7A with throttle bodies which turned out to actually be a 2.0 NM.
                    After catastrophic engine failure I decided to go all in..

83.00mm AAN with forged rods, pistons, supertech valvetrain, Arp everything with a Xona Rotor 6156 on a Iroz motorsport manifold. Engine is at the engineers now being assembled.
                    How'd it turn out?
                    _Rubí_

Comment

Working...
                    X