Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 March 2013 - Re-map

I travelled over to Stokesley in the North East to see Mark Hardy of Automark for a re-map. Before doing this, Mark carried out a comprehensive diagnostic check of the car. This was what he was faced with: -

tn_Car andhouse 038.JPG

This included a boost leak check......and guess what......there was a leak......you can clearly see the split in one of the small hoses off the intake manifold

tn_Car andhouse 041.JPG

Easily fixed though
    2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
    1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Comment

• 11 March 2013 - Re-map 2

Next thing to change were the injectors from the standard S2 ones that had done about 120,000 miles and over 18 years of service to some shiny new Bosch "Green Giants" that are used on Volvos and several other applications. They are Bosch part number 0280 155 968. The beauty of this choice of injector is that they are plug and play without any modification and they were rated to easily give the sort of power and torque that I was looking for with the other kit I had on the car.

tn_Car andhouse 043.JPG

Out with the old.....

tn_Car andhouse 044.JPG

....and in with the new

tn_Car andhouse 045.JPG

Oh you'll also notice the chromed intake pipe that has an air temperature sensor (from andygplym.......thanks Andy)

Comment

• 11 March 2013 - Re-map 3

Boost check.....OK
        Other diagnostics......OK
        New injectors.......OK

Time to play with the brain that was last implanted on 13 December 1993

tn_Car andhouse 046.JPG tn_Car andhouse 048.JPG tn_Car andhouse 050.JPG

Gently prise the aluminium tabs away

tn_Car andhouse 049.JPG

To reveal the heart of the beast........you can clearly see the Superchips chip that has been put in there by a previous owner.

I had decided that I was going to use the standard MAP sensor, which would limit my boost to 1.5 bar but would give me reliability....so no need to change that component

tn_Car andhouse 053.JPG

Mark refitting the brain back in its usual coupe location underneath the glove box, with laptop attached for some live mapping

tn_Car andhouse 054.JPG

Comment

• 11 March 2013 - Re-map 4

The first road test gave some strange results of boost, so Mark thought it prudent to investigate the wastegate

tn_Car andhouse 055.JPG

With a bit of persuasion!

tn_Car andhouse 056.JPG

The seal and diaphragm were ok......

tn_Car andhouse 057.JPG

.....but there was an unusual thing lurking in there.....

.....here you can see the harder spring that I had compared to a standard one below, clearly forcing the boost to hold on longer than standard using mechanical means

tn_Car andhouse 058.JPG

.....and what an ugly bolt.......

tn_Car andhouse 059.JPG

....so we decided to go the standard spring route and map using that.....

tn_Car andhouse 060.JPG

Comment

• 11 March 2013 - Re-map 5

Then on the next run.......we stopped afterwards to review the results.......and she would not restart........

.......not until 10 minutes had gone by.

Indications from Mark's laptop were not good.....we got her back to the garage and unfortunately the Hall sensor had failed. In fact it had failed at the dyno test, when for the first time ever in my ownership she would not start.....I just did not know what it was. Worse than that, Mark's logs showed that the coils were kaput too

So, given parts were at least a day away, I had to get back home via taxi and a lift from a work colleague. I could console myself with some of the stuff in the garage at Mark's

A nice lightened S2 flywheel and motor

tn_Car andhouse 047.JPG tn_Car andhouse 051.JPG

My beast and another S2

tn_Car andhouse 061.JPG

This was winter still and there was a lot of salt around

tn_Car andhouse 062.JPG

Another S2 coupe

tn_Car andhouse 063.JPG

Lovely urq but that after market radiator......ugly.......sorry if it's yours

tn_Car andhouse 064.JPG

Not many garages have 3 S2's in......one for an engine installation....one for modifications and mine for a remap

tn_Car andhouse 065.JPG

Comment

• The results

Before

This was the stock car with a standard superchips upgrade from when i bought it but also with the 044 fuel pump, hybrid K24 turbo, Wagner manifold and intercooler

tn_S2 - Rolling Road - Before - Power and Torque.JPG tn_S2 - Rolling Road - Before - Power and Boost.JPG

Max power of 281bhp @ 5,800rpm and max torque of 288lbft @ 3,800rpm

On the second graph you can see the boost shoot up to nearly 1.4 bar at about 3,400rpm before oscillating and then going downwards after about 4,000rpm

This was showing a healthy increase over the standard S2 set up (from the brochure) of:

Max power of 230bhp @ 5,900rpm and max torque of 258lbft @ 1,950rpm (280lbft with overboost) but this goes to show that if you don't have the map to take advantage of the goodies.....

After

My remit to Mark was that i wanted to live within the 1.5 bar boost and standard Map sensor as i had a stock bottom end (albeit rebuilt) and wanted to preserve the life of the car. I also said that i tend to drive using the torque rather than top end and wanted a very responsive road car for where i live. Must be all that driving of turbo diesels

So the results with the green giant injectors and the re-map are: -

tn_S2 - Rolling Road - After- Power and Torque.JPG tn_S2 - Rolling Road - After- Power and Lambda.JPG

Max power of 317bhp @ 5,600rpm and max torque of 380lbft @ 3,700rpm

Sorry i don't have the power and boost, only the power and lambda, which runs rich at 0.85 to 0.9 through most of the rev range.

From the Audi RS2 brochure the figures are

Max power of 315bhp @ 6,500rpm and max torque of 302lbft @ 3,000rpm

So as regards meeting my objective of having an RS2+ coupe i think this has been achieved although you could say that the RS2 reaches its 302lbft earlier @3,000 than mine which takes another 500rpm to reach the same figure but hey mine gives over 25% more torque in maximum terms.

The real test for me is the drive and not the rolling road. Maximum boost is reached in an instant and the lag is almost non-existent. Retaining the K24 hot side really does let the turbo spin up and yes the cold side does run out of puff to give the out and out power at the top end but for sheer driveability, particularly where i live in B road Britain, i'd have that any day.

Oh and i still get a real-time average 27mpg

Comment

• 27mpg average is pretty much unheard of. I remember Nick H had his tuned to a similar remit and it made it a potent road car as the lag was next to nothing.
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• 0.85-0.9 is not rich, it's quite lean for a turbocharged car, but at 300hp it probably won't melt.
                  http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• I'd have it at 0.8 especially around the 4000-5000 range for safety as well

Comment

• I presume all this K24 talk in this thread means you started with a K24 7000 turbo from an ABY ?

Nice result for real world daily driving.

Can only dream of 27mpg in a daily driven I5t.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                        27mpg average is pretty much unheard of. I remember Nick H had his tuned to a similar remit and it made it a potent road car as the lag was next to nothing.
                        Yes the lag is minimal.....Jeckyll and Hyde in one car

Originally posted by prj View Post
                        0.85-0.9 is not rich, it's quite lean for a turbocharged car, but at 300hp it probably won't melt.
                        Rolling roads are a good benchmark but most runs including mine that i have seen are done at Wide-Open-Throttle. Most daily driving is not at WOT and with this relatively mild state of tune........hopefully not

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                        I'd have it at 0.8 especially around the 4000-5000 range for safety as well
                        I tend to drive on torque in the 3000-4000 range, which gives the maximum torque for me but i take your point.

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                        I presume all this K24 talk in this thread means you started with a K24 7000 turbo from an ABY ?

Nice result for real world daily driving.

Can only dream of 27mpg in a daily driven I5t.

Thanks.....yes it is (or was) a K24 7000. The hot side is basically unchanged but the cold side has a larger compressor wheel inside a machined-out stock housing. Motor sport bearings and seals have been fitted with the usual blueprint and balance. AET did a magnificent job....

tn_Turbo and Wasdale Show 002.JPG tn_Turbo and Wasdale Show 004.JPG

Comment

• Terribly sorry for that post.. My phone must have acted up while in my pocket. :-/ if someone can remove the entry, please do.

Comment

• 1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

• Yeah.....thought I was going mad looking for a cryptic comment in there. Then maybe I thought it was some strange Belgian proverb No worries.....hope you like the story.....been busy recently - hope to post some further updates soon

Comment

• Sorry John I love this thread, looking forward to more updates and inspiration.

Comment

Working...
                                X