Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.3) The cambelt guards and cover have been modified to fit the taller block.
    8.4) So did turbo's oil and water feed and return lines, and
    8.5) power steering pump belt (35mm longer).

8.6) Bolting the gearbox to the engine has been a tough challenge as well (take into account I did all the work by myself, alone).
    Took half a day by itself:
    didn't have the tool for centering the clutch disk, neither had the chance for having one borrowed, so, after some unsuccesfull tryes I've thinked out a solution:

Instead of torquening pressure plate's allen bolts to the flywheel, I fitted only theree exhagonal bolts at a low tightening level, so that to leave the clutch disk lose enaugh to have it self centering the gearbox axle.
    Once inserted the gearbox, I tightened the exhagonal bolts through the hole in the following picture, took the gearbox off again, fitted and tightened the remaining allen bolts, and finally replaced the three exhagonal bolts with the OEM allens.

Pretty complex and long procedure, but couldn't see any other way.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jamo; 21 May 2007, 16:32.

Comment

By the way, having used the single mass flywheel I of course didn't fit the 8mm aluminum spacer between block and gearbox.
      Last edited by Jamo; 21 May 2007, 16:32.

Comment

CHAPTER 9: AUXILLARY SYSTEMS

9.1) Breather system: built an oil separator out of an old Air Con dryer:

the separation system looked pretty effective to me, so just refitted the inlet to have it the same side a soutlet, and added the return to the sump.
        Didn't fit it yet, cause I first want to do finish the brake in procedure and then make some tests before and after.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Jamo; 21 May 2007, 16:33.

Comment

I will be running the RS2 turbo and manifold untill I'll have time and money to upgrade to higher specs, so until then:

9.2) Fuel system: stock with new fuel filter and Bosch Motorsport pump;
          9.3) Exhaust sytem: RS2 EM, custom downpipe and system with additional WB lambda;
          9.4) Turbocharger: RS2
          9.5) Intercooler: RS2 for brake in, then will test my custom made 600x300x76 bar and plate one (when following point 9.6 will be ready...).
          9.6) Intake manifold: OEM ABY, untill time to make my own front TB one.
          9.7) Camshaft timing: RS2 exhaust, ABY intake at 0° advance. Then will try +2°, +4°, -2°, -4° and see what happens. Also have a NM intake camshaft to try....
          9.8) ECU management: OEM RS2 with Mihneas chips. To be upgraded when possible.

9.9) Gerbox and rear diff oil change: while there I changed gearbox and rear diff oil. Look at the difference between old and new:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Jamo; 21 May 2007, 16:35.

Comment

9.10) Changed all fluids: cooling, brakes, power steering.

Comment

CHAPTER 10: STARTING THE ENGINE

Decided to brake in the wild way, so used a good mineral oil (synt base) with the purpose of giving some nice thrashes for around 800-1000 km and then switching to the Castrol RS 10W 60.

Well the moment came. Ignition key had to be turned on....
              Only a few starter turns and the engine fired, with a bit of tappet noise and......

SH***T, oil pressure stayed dead zero!!!

Turned off immediatly and started the checking of the lubrication system:
              Unscrewed the oil filter and while giving a few turns to the engine with the ignition's power stages unplugged, verifyed oilpump was actually feeding the filter.

Next step was the oil gallery going to the head, the one where both the oil pressure senders are located.
              Ended up being the FU***ING one way valve being stuck closed....
              The damned thing costed half a day of work, 3 liters of coolant (had to unbolt main radiator again) and 5 years of my life for the worry.

Engine fired again and this time oil pressure raised quickly above 5 Bar. Tappet noise diminished quite quickly as well, engine seemed running very smoothly, so after a couple of minutes idling I turned the engine off again.

Another day of work for reassembling all the remeaning parts and for bleeding the clutch. Then the car was ready for the first road test.
              Last edited by Jamo; 21 May 2007, 16:36.

Comment

CHAPTER 11: ROAD TEST AND FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Well what to say. Only ran 80 Km so far, but the impression is very nice:
                much more torque from low rpm, with the turbo starting to pull as low as 2000 rpm.
                Warmed up carefully the engine then floored to the metal up to 6000 rpm 3th, 4th, 5th, 6th ..... 240 Kmh, woah, better slow down now..... the camber needs to be checked too....

By the way, the JE pistons with the prescribed 0.10 mm wall clearance give a small dieseling noise at warm up, but it doesn't last very long (maybe partly covered by my exhaust system, being a little loud indeed...)
                Knowing that the best performances out of a new engine come after a couple of thousends Km, and from first Km performances can increase up to 4-5% until then, I still was curious to have some data.

At same launch place, procedure and overall conditions I had the following GTech Pro Comp results at the wheels:

+20 Hp about 400 rpm lower then before;
                +30 Nm about 500 rpm lower then before.

Peak boost of 1.6 bar instead of 1.7-1.75 I used to experience before (don't know if ECU might for some reason compensate and reduce boost a bit !?.... nothing being unfixable by a good remap, anyway).
                Full boost in 4th as low as 2500 rpm.

Engine needs the braking in procedure to be finished. A lot more tuning refinements and tests need to be performed. But so far I feel pretty pleased with my job.

Will update this thread anytime I have some interesting news.

Cheers to everyone

Marco
                Last edited by Jamo; 21 May 2007, 16:36.

Comment

Great info Marco

On first starting an engine - I disconnect the cam position sensor, and remove spark plugs, and turn the engine over on the starter until oil pressure jumps up. I too had a nighmare when first starting - the oil pressure sensor wired up wrong so I got a warning light - that took a few hours to work out!!
                  S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Superb Marco - top work ! A remap will perfect that job...

Also good tip from Doug - I *never* crank a rebuilt engine with ignition enabled until I see evidence of oil pressure.

Paul
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by Pisobiker
                      Studs holes have been enlarged to 12.5mm to accomodate “TDi specs” head studs.
                      For this purpose I’ve used M12 x1.75 studs of the A2 1.4 TDi (AMF) engine, cut back 20mm.

No there's an interesting tweak !

A2 diesel parts in a modified S2 - shock horror !

Love it...
                      Paul Nugent
                      Webmaster http://S2central.net
                      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Marco, you are one amazing man. There is only one problem. Why do you have to live SOOOO far away from us

You are THE MAN, your write ups are superb.
                        Martyn
                        -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Thats some seriously nice work

nicely documented too
                          Nautic Blue UR-Quattro RS2spec ABY20v kkk26/27 hybrid,Bremsport Brake Kit n some other Gubbins.water injection. Mihnea tuned Management The old Bus
                          0-60 4.9
                          1/4mile 13.5

Comment

Awesome work indeed, a credit to you.
                            acidtrax

Comment

spechless ...
                              S2 Limo sold !!!
                              M5 E34 with some mods in the garage
                              sorry, but much happeir now !

Comment

Brilliant