Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you use the std bore,or did you bore the block??? to 82mm or larger...?? what conrod do you use??

Comment

Nice to see your project is going well. I'd like to see this beast when you pump some serious boost through it
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Very nice indeed!

caterpillar should probably read the story. It's all there.

Marco, any possibility you could share the cam wheel drawings when finished?
        -

Comment

Looks awesome Marco! Lets hope its a beast worth all the extra hassle!
          Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Real nice job Marco ! i`m very impressed. I`m really interessted in the further progress of this project.

Cees

Comment

Originally posted by Pisobiker
              CHAPTER 7: CRANKSHAFT BALANCING

Couldn’t find any machineshop with the knowhow and experience on balancing the IL5 crankshafts in the neighbours, so decided to do it myself. After having computed bobwight mass, I had to build them out of aluminum.
              This is how I proceeded:

a) built the bobwights at my calculated mass;
              b) balanced each bobwight by itself, at the precise weight computed;
              c) balanced the crankshaft by itself;
              d) balanced the crankshaft with the bobweights, flywheel and armonic balancer fitted;
              e) balanced the above assembly with clutch’s pressure plate fitted.

After the whole work crankshaft’s journals have been polished.
              Now see that properly hurts my head - I have no phookin idea where to start with that bobweight business. Impressive stuff Marco... Reading this again and finding more evidence of thorough knowledge, patience and skill here !

Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Oh my god, this engine is now running. How long has it been. Looks great Marco. I can see this thread getting loads of posts. I dont mean to **** on your fire, but is 8.6:1 CR gonna be ok for running high boost and loads of ignition advance?? I had problems with pinking at about 5k rpm when trying to run 1.5 bar. But this was when i had my stock downpipe. Hopefully you will be OK. Whats that clutch like for pulling away?? Is it ON/OFF??
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Nice

No need for me to write about my stroker. It would just be looking like a lot of copy & paste from here Just some small differences.

Cheers,
                  Roger

Comment

Roger - can you do a big write up on yours? The more info/pics the better - this is great stuff to read.
                    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Marco what sort of rev limit are you gonna aim for?? Are you going for solid lifters??
                      sigpic
                      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                      Audi UR Quattro
                      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

How high to the Strokers rev?

What is limiting the peak revs?

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                          Oh my god, this engine is now running. How long has it been. Looks great Marco. I can see this thread getting loads of posts. I dont mean to **** on your fire, but is 8.6:1 CR gonna be ok for running high boost and loads of ignition advance?? I had problems with pinking at about 5k rpm when trying to run 1.5 bar. But this was when i had my stock downpipe. Hopefully you will be OK. Whats that clutch like for pulling away?? Is it ON/OFF??
                          8.6 is fine IMO. I'm betting Marco doesn't drive on the rev limiter like you Tom so he's probably looking for more tractability, less lag and mid range performance than you were with your choices for a balls-out 450bhp machine. Thats the thing with these turbo upgrades - compromises must be made based on the application in mind.

There's an old adage here though - " there is no substitute for cc's " and Marco's ~300cc advantage will always give him the edge - especially in the torque department !

Paul
                          Paul Nugent
                          Webmaster http://S2central.net
                          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Does 300cc make that much difference???? Maybe this will be my next move then
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Yeah - but off boost torque is crap anyway - you can't say it is usuable power or tractible - a car with 8.0:1 is still very driveable - when you need to potter around or cruise.

Comment

I found that when using the car off boost, fuel economy is really good. Cruisng at 85mph on private motorways returns 30MPG!! If you want power move the gear lever!!
                                sigpic
                                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                                Audi UR Quattro
                                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                                X