South Africa 2008 My 1996 ABY S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Africa 2008 My 1996 ABY S2

My name is Stephen or Steve or just plain orsum.

Originally from Liverpool. (Everton Supporter)

It was in November 2008 that a friend of mine phoned and said I he had a 1996 S2 for sale would I be interested. (Emerald Green)

I normally only drive a black car!!!

Well I turned to Val my Liverpool supporter wife and said how about an early Christmas present.

6 weeks later it’s at home.

80,000km - 50,000 miles Mint condition original books all stamped by Audi.

And on top of that it was still under the Audi service plan for another 20,000km.

When launched in SA it came out with an unlimited time cover with 100,000km.

Since then my son put about 15,000 on it and I have taken it to 99,000km.

I will post pictures when my son shows me how to. The first picture will be how she looked in 2008.

We have done a bit to the car and will update in the coming days/weeks/months and years.

This will be my legacy.

orsum

Looking forward to seeing some pics. It must be one of the lowest mileage cars left
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Fixed it for you
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Nice coupe
          Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Thanks

orsum

So the quest began listing all the work that I felt needed doing.

The biggest decision for me was the paintwork correction. Do I don’t I fix all the little love marks.

If you look close you can see them on each corner.

The car ran well no issue except for age of rubber etc.

So my son had the car from 2009 to September 2010 and during that time he used it as his daily drive, unfortunately for me he clocked up the Km in the car and during that time somebody put a dent in the front right wing.

That was the beginning of my time with the S2 and it pushed me to have a complete repaint in original colour and original paint.

But before that I looked over the car and listed everything I was concerned with.

The next 12 months the car was given to Audi for everything to be done.

List of what has been done will follow

orsum

Don’t know how to do it yet but will post vid of the spray job.
            Last edited by orsum; 20 July 2014, 16:30.

Comment

Hey Steve, nice example of a coupe...where you based?
              I have just imported my 1996 Ming Blue ABY S2 (owned for 5 years) back to KZN with me.
              Based in Sheffield beach, north of Durban.
              Cheers
              Sean

Comment

Hi Sean,

Just up the road from you Zinkwazi Beach, I am sure you know were that is.

Impresive number of S2 in our neck of the woods yours, one in Stanger, one in Durban and mine.

Must get together when mine comes back its been away from me since Sept 2010 having lots of work done.

As I said I will post my sons and my list of work that has been done.

Its a big list

orsum

Comment

Steve,

Great news about the number of these rare little beasts in the local area.
                  Definitely sounds like a recipe for a monthly meet!
                  I look forward to following your thread. My ol' girls getting her suspension overhauled in Shaka's Kraal...will be back with me in 2 weeks or so.

Have you got the details of the other local owners?

Cheers
                  S

Comment

Sorry I dont have any details.

I met one guy in Durban bought some 245-40-18 for my S4 and was stopped by the guy in Stanger at the tole gate he aked me to sell the car to him thats all I have.

Try the SA forum

http://www.audiclubsa.org.za/cgi-bin/yabb25/YaBB.pl

The is a KZN club on the the site they have asked me to attend a few meetings but I have not managed to hook up yet. Does not seem to be much ineterest in KZN.

Sean do you have floor mats in your car?

My drivers side is missing so I am going to buy a new set. I just found a place in Durban who will make a set for me, they said

The set without embroidery (LOGO) will be R425 excluding Vat. This is our price to the dealer.

I think thats a very good price.

Let me know if you are interested.

orsum

Comment

Hey Steve,

Thanks for extending the order for carpets to me- no need for now thanks, I bought in the UK in Nov 2013 before we left.
                      Please PM me your contact details so that we can organise a meet soon.

S

Comment

Your S2 looks sweet, these cars are just beautiful in stock form
                        1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

So it was the right front wing that started my trip down the yellow brick road, pity it was full of pot holes.

Its 2010 I took the car to Audi in Durban with my long list of work.

12 months later the dealership phoned and said you can collect your car we have finished all the mechanical work. I could hardly wait to drive the car it felt like Christmas had come early. The next day I collected the car and took a 3 km drive to the panel shop.

My impression was it was much firmer on the road; the 3 km came up before I could warm her up.

I remember driving into the receiving bay of the panel shop thinking am I doing the right thing it is October 2011.

My request to the panel shop was clear replace the front right wing which I supplied (OEM PART) no body filler to be used, any dents to be pulled, original top colour Emerald green with a dark green primer, all fixtures to be removed and any rust to be corrected with new panels. (They found no rust on the car) We also discussed how long it would take. They told me 6 to 8 weeks max to complete the work.

We agreed a price and I gave them the keys. I also agreed to provide any part that needed to be replaced; little did I know what that statement was going to do to my bank balance.

orsum

Comment

Mechanical bits

Work done between 2009 - 2010.
                            All the work was done by Audi and all the parts were original Audi parts

Front Brake pipe leaking. Pipe replaced
                            Air filter loose. Secured
                            CV boots worn. Replaced rubber boots
                            Blower vent control not selecting properly. Replaced the complete ventilation system and controls.
                            Rust on exhaust. Replaced the complete exhaust system.
                            Car steering knocking. Replaced the complete steering system 3 times
                            Refurbished 5 wheel rims slight scratches.
                            Door window mechanisms sticking. Replace both mechanisms.
                            Engine idle erratic. All sensors replace
                            Blower screeching on selector’s position 2 and 3. Replace blower and pipes.
                            Wiper juddering. Replace the complete wiper system.
                            Dump valve replace.
                            Oil pressure sensor faulty. Replace sensor.
                            Outside temp not working. Replaced sensor.
                            All belt replaced
                            Spark plugs replaced twice
                            Normal service
                            Air bag system faulty. Relaced bag and control unit.

Work done between 2010 - 2011.

Replaced all the shock absorbers.
                            Some sort of oil leak in engine compartment right hand side. Replaced power steering pump
                            Car not stable when cornering. Replace the complete suspension bushing and the roll bar bushings.
                            Replace brake fluid.
                            Washer bottle leaking. Replace washer bottle.
                            Replaced cam cover seal
                            Replace two accelerator pedals
                            Replaced driver’s door lock
                            Replace all brake pads
                            Replaced rear window wiper
                            Replaced tail gate seal
                            Replaced battery

There is more to come once they started on the paint work.

More pics shortly

orsum
                            Last edited by orsum; 22 July 2014, 09:54. Reason: Added more work I forgot about

Comment

I like this thread already...Looking forward to the paint shop part of it. Car is looking really nice and original!!
                              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                              96 URS6 plus speck estate
                              94 2.6 80 Avant
                              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Working...
                              X